Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:58 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,292 times

Advertisements

Didn't find a thread about this with a search...

If you smoke, would the government's plan to print graphic warnings on your cigarette packs induce you to finally quit?

Armed with new powers approved by Congress last year, the Food and Drug Administration is proposing warnings that include one containing an image of a man smoking through a tracheotomy hole in his throat; another depicting a body with a large scar running down the chest; and another showing a man who appears to be suffering a heart attack. Others have images of a corpse in a coffin and one with a toe tag in a morgue, diseased lungs and mouths and a mother blowing smoke into a baby's face.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/10/AR2010111003255.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/10/AR2010111003255.htmlI%27m - broken link)

I detest the filthy weed and the habit, having lost a relative and a good friend to lung cancer, so I asked some people I know who still smoke about graphic warnings on cigarette packs.

Every one of my admittedly small sample (eleven people) just shrugged and said they'd either ignore them, collect and trade them, or carry the pack in a cigarette case to cover up the pictures. They all agreed the campaign will be a boondoggle and a waste of money.

PLEASE keep your answers to whether you would be influenced by these pictures, and let's not get off on a tangent about smoker's rights. I'm curious because some studies DO show the effectiveness of this approach to quitting:

In a multi-country study published in the March 2007 issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, researchers found that more prominent text messages were more effective and graphic pictures even more so in affecting smokers' behaviors.

... (for instance) UK smokers were also more likely to report that the new warnings had led them to think about quitting, to think about the health risks of smoking, and had deterred them from having a cigarette compared to Australian and US smokers.

Do Cigarette Warning Labels Work? Results From 4 Countries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
I'm thinking that some people will cut the pics off the packs and trade them on ebay.

If you don't wanna see the pics you can put your ciggs in a cigg holder.

They'll make sleeves you can buy to slide your pack into so you don't have to see it.

C'mon. This is all Nanny government nonsense. People are going to do what THEY WANT TO DO - regardless of what the government does to save them from themselves.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:08 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Mine go from the pack to the stainless steel cig case, so no, I don't think it would encourage me to quit, anymore than a pic of a damaged heart or the inside of cholesterol coated veins would get me to quit eating hamburgers...

Old 01-11-2011, 04:10 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
I't just another stupid move by the government, it wont make a smoker stop, lets add pics of rotten livers on alcohol bottles, cancer ridden colons on meat packages and so forth.
Everyone knows the risks in smoking it's not a secret.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:10 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,725 times
Canada tried this, it was a failure.

That should present you sufficient evidence.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
If it lowered the price, I might start back up again.

The only reason I quit is because I couldn't afford it.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:16 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
don't think it will work, but it does get me thinking they mind as well do the same with bottles of alcohol..

i wonder if people would stop driving cars and trucks,!!! if they had big gruesome pictures of people killed in auto accidents plastered on the dashboard..

Old 01-11-2011, 04:27 PM

15,088 posts, read 8,631,560 times
It's just another example of government out of control. Stop stealing our money and spending it on such ridiculous programs ... actually, leave people alone and stop with the fear mongering over cigarettes while pushing far more dangerous pharmaceutical poisons as healthy. The FDA is a disgrace .. if they say do it? Don't .... if they say don't ... then do it. That's the best formula.

Given the current financial situation, any well grounded American should be incensed at this prime example of federal bureaucratic boondoggling, and illegitimate use of the public funds.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Nope. Not a chance. I smoke because I like it and because I want to. Stupid pictures will be no more effective than stupid warnings were.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Out of the several billion people who have purchased cigarettes since they were first packaged to sell, I'll guarantee you that not one of those people has ever looked at the package. for any reason.....!!!
Have you EVER looked at a package of anything you have ever purchased other that to identify it when ready to use it...?? Of course you haven't, nor has any other person alive or dead...
Most people have lives and don't spend a lot of time reading labels on the products they buy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies