Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Why the hostility and indignance on this issue? A fellow republican comes forward with an idea that might save the lives of people that are feeling hopeless, helpless and scared and now he is demonized? The guy is showing HUMANITY. If you do not know the meaning of the word, look it up.
I know humanity better than most here...I am a full time caregiver to a terminally ill person, and I also work full time to boot...All that equals to no time for myself.

Can you say the same?...If not I can certainly make some suggestions or referrals to people that need your time and attention...All of it, if you are as committed as you present yourself here on your on-line crusade.

Of course you will shut your computer off and have your time back...Many of us don't.

And by the way...I'm doing it for a friend, not a family obligation.

The State of Arizona has elected their own representatives. Each State of the Union has it's autonomy. The individual in Illinois has an agenda.

The agenda may certainly be a noble one, but his elected position is in Illinois. Whatever the reasons Arizona has for it's actions, or inactions, is their business...Not Illinois' business.

The one thing I learned over the last few years is that the States and Federal governments are doing what they can for ALL people with illnesses.

Hey!!!..My friend has an icurable disease..I think every spare penny should go to curing their disease...Even the money Arizona is spending on the squirrels..We want that money too...

And so does everyone else...including the people that think the squirrels are important to the long term well being of the ecological balance in nature.

How about another football stadium?...They make money for the economy, don't they?...Screw everyone else, and the damned squirrels.

Everyone wants money just as passionately as everyone else, for their agendas, which are just as important as every other agenda...

So, decisions are made...and no one is completely happy.

There are plenty of people dying from things other than transplant needs...Who come's first?...And what about the other needs in the world...even the freaking squirrels.....We've got to think of the earths health too, don't we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 11:01 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I know humanity better than most here...I am a full time caregiver to a terminally ill person, and I also work full time to boot...All that equals to no time for myself.

Can you say the same?...If not I can certainly make some suggestions or referrals to people that need your time and attention...All of it, if you are as committed as you present yourself here on your on-line crusade.

Of course you will shut your computer off and have your time back...Many of us don't.

And by the way...I'm doing it for a friend, not a family obligation.

The State of Arizona has elected their own representatives. Each State of the Union has it's autonomy. The individual in Illinois has an agenda.

The agenda may certainly be a noble one, but his elected position is in Illinois. Whatever the reasons Arizona has for it's actions, or inactions, is their business...Not Illinois' business.

The one thing I learned over the last few years is that the States and Federal governments are doing what they can for ALL people with illnesses.

Hey!!!..My friend has an icurable disease..I think every spare penny should go to curing their disease...Even the money Arizona is spending on the squirrels..We want that money too...

And so does everyone else...including the people that think the squirrels are important to the long term well being of the ecological balance in nature.

How about another football stadium?...They make money for the economy, don't they?...Screw everyone else, and the damned squirrels.

Everyone wants money just as passionately as everyone else, for their agendas, which are just as important as every other agenda...

So, decisions are made...and no one is completely happy.

There are plenty of people dying from things other than transplant needs...Who come's first?...And what about the other needs in the world...even the freaking squirrels.....We've got to think of the earths health too, don't we?
Brewer's utter refusal to look at the issue again after a fellow Republican spent time to offer a poissible remedy speaks volumes about her character or lack therof. I have seen some of these people being interviewed on TV and they are young and have kids. Brewer has shown that she can lie on several occasions and I have no problem distrusting her judgment on this issue.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:03 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
yep! This GOP guy from Illinois FOUND money ... he took the time to go line by line in the AZ budget and FOUND money ...

It's really too bad that Brewer won't at least have a toadie look into it. I mean really .. she doesn't even have to do the work, it's been done for her!

I blame Obama ... he's the one who hire Janet Napolitano away from Arizona.
Maybe if this guy spent a little more time on his own state, they wouldn't have had to raise their taxes through the roof. Can you say "armchair quarterback?"

Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,631 times
Default Brewer is being politically targeted

Quote:
Brewer's utter refusal to look at the issue again after a fellow Republican spent time to offer a poissible remedy speaks volumes about her character or lack therof. I have seen some of these people being interviewed on TV and they are young and have kids. Brewer has shown that she can lie on several occasions and I have no problem distrusting her judgment on this issue.
I cannot help but feel that this is all to structured towards targeting Brewer. It does not make sense dollar wise. Though we are talking about perhaps several million dollars, and the fellow in Illinois may be a Republican - there is something too obviously targeted towards brewer...there is another agenda.

I am not exagerating that I take care of a critically ill person, with an incurable disease... And I have learned that even with this rather insignificant disease (1/20,000th chance of having it), between the medical community, non-profit agencies, pharmaceutical companies and even private industries, there is a tremendous amount of support and medical care made available to the people with the condition.

The critically ill in this country are not ignored. There is a tremendous amount of support given.

Transplants are very expensive, risky (for success), and there are many people that need them. There are also a great number within the group that will not benefit too long or too much from them... But, they are on the lists.

It's not an ideal world...there are other things needed for the rest of the population. We cannot do everything for everyone.

My friend even accepts this reality...They appreciate all that is done for them...Even though there is of course always another possible cure, if only another researcher or company could have a few more million dollars...And there's plenty of them....And we can certainly use more home care time - that's limited by the state budget here.

For the amount that is the focus of this persons crusade...It's not much to all that is needed.

Hell!!!... Illinois has plenty of rich donors...How about the State reps there donating 1/2 their re-election money?..That's a crusade he can get attention with...unless there is another agenda.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:33 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Moved by the story of Tiffany Tate and the lung transplant she needs, Rep. Steven Daglas, R-Ill., analyzed Arizona’s state budget and found ways to restore the transplant insurance coverage. Daglas joins Countdown to explain what he discovered.
Countdown with Keith Olbermann: Man finds 26 ways to save Ariz., transplant coverage

Once again I was hoping you would provide the actual 26 ways new sources of funding would be created so I could evaluate the actual proposal.

WHERE WILL THE MONEY COME FROM?

Using unclaimed lottery prize winnings to fund these transplants is a prime solution (among many). Right now, 70% of those player prize winnings go back to the lottery for additional jackpots.

That 70% amounts to approximately $6 million per year - far more than necessary to restore transplant funding.

Visit our "Discussion" page to learn more about WHO WE ARE HELPING, FUNDING SOLUTIONS, SUBMIT AN IDEA, the $1.25 MILLION AZ SQUIRREL BRIDGE and more.
//www.facebook.com/pages/Restore-Arizona-Transplant-Funding-NOW/172111839487127

From the group's Facebook page I see they are still actively seeking suggestions from the public for ways to fund their transplants and have proposed unclaimed lottery winnings be used as a source of funding. The question I have is, with an upcoming deficit in excess of $800 million and the incoming Republican majority poised to eviscerate state spending per the AZ voter mandate and balanced budget requirements, isn't it very likely these non-traditional funding sources have already been spoken for? Furthermore, every action the AZ legislature takes to control spending will have consequences. In the Olberman video the claim was made that travel expenses of a state university's football team could be cut, but you can be sure fewer students will enroll in a school that has a football team which does not travel. The nominal savings realized by scrubbing the football program would come back from the pet cemetery as lowered demand for spots in next year's freshman class and that means a loss of revenue at the school. Can liberals talk their college professor friends into taking pay cuts to make this proposal revenue neutral? Will the unions which represents the university's workers from campus police and grounds keepers take the contract concessions needed to cover the loss of income associated with lessened demand for their particular school? More to the point, will DC Democrats who cut a half trillion from Medicare of the eve of the Baby-Boomer's retirement to create Obamacare help Republicans maintain that funding by voting to repeal last year's health care reform act?

As for the Republican death panel, I agree government bean counters should never be involved in health care decisions. This particular group of Medicare officials based their recommendations to cut specific categories of organ transplants on the low success rate of the procedures in question. Seems they are forced to save money for more predictably successful procedures like emergency room deliveries of illegal immigrant's anchor babies and indigent care. I can't help but think how much better off these people would be if they had previously invested in their own health savings accounts. I'm sure they could have been set up with a high deducible and near limitless catastrophic coverage to make them both affordable and effective. If they had those, they could arrange their care on their own terms and negotiate with cash starved hospitals from an advantageous position. Not sure why Democrats would want to limit these very practical policies under Obamacare, but they did.

I will also agree with you that a squirrel bridge should never take precedent over human life. I feel the same way about Delta Smelt in California, but that's another issue. Perhaps you could get your liberal friends to promise to not drag AZ into court and sue them under the Endangered Species Act if they do drop the project? And while we're on the subject, could you maybe talk your leftist buddies into not suing AZ every time they attempt to put out today's financial wild fires caused by yesterday's liberal fireworks. AZ has been crying out for help with their illegal immigrant problem for years and their resulting budget deficits and tax increases are reaching a crisis point.

Obviously dumping these people is not something anyone wants, but let's not pretend we don't know how they got where they are. Better solutions exist, and were it not for Obamacare and the Democrat's refusal to help with AZ's indigent illegal immigrant problem, we would be discussing them today.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Maybe if this guy spent a little more time on his own state, they wouldn't have had to raise their taxes through the roof. Can you say "armchair quarterback?"
yea, but his QB-ing could save lives of citizens of a state that he doesn't even reside. Who knows, maybe he's a cubs fan.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:36 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:

Old 01-13-2011, 06:40 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
I view Brewer like I do Palin ... not terribly curious about anything. She, like Palin, have toadies who run the show and she does what she is told. Someone is either keeping this information that the fella in Illinois found from her, or she is being told to ignore it. Anyone with half a fair brain would at least ponder the work that has been done. Nobody is asking HER to do it. It's there!

Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post

Oh, but that were. How's about we stop those two wars that are killing people and take that money and spend it at home?

Now, Obama has been a great disappointment to me in this area, but he's done a few things right.

I commend you for what you do. It can't be easy. But Jan Brewer is NOT fit for the job she does and, like a previous poster said, truly is the Wicked Witch of the West.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:44 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I view Brewer like I do Palin ... not terribly curious about anything. She, like Palin, have toadies who run the show and she does what she is told. Someone is either keeping this information that the fella in Illinois found from her, or she is being told to ignore it. Anyone with half a fair brain would at least ponder the work that has been done. Nobody is asking HER to do it. It's there!
Again, one must understand Jan Brewer. Anyone who will LIE about decapitated bodies being found in the desert for her own personal gain does not live in the same world you and I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies