Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
And vote suppression?

Voter fraud is meanwhile a specific offense under law, and so is the different offense of voter registration fraud. The difference between the two is roughly the difference between burglary and shoplifting. One is stealing. The other is being stolen from.

The right-wing is currently engaged in a campaign to claim that "voter fraud" is actually a catch-all term that covers a variety of election-related offenses. This is false and a blatant attempt to cover up for their persistent and deliberate misuse of one term for the other as part of a conspiracy to smear and defame ACORN, and if possible lie, distort, and misrepresent sufficiently to shut down ACORN's efforts to register those living in urban minority and low-income communities, people who don't vote -- and don't vote Republican -- as often as some other demographics do. The whole effort is about as honest as O'Keefe's hoax-videos, but hey, give them an "A" for achhievement.
If there had been a conservative group getting busted, through those same shady tactics, wouldn't you be applauding it? Would you support any organization, no matter what it did, as long as it was anti-republican?

O'Keefe's methods, shady as they may be, uncovered some disturbing and illegal activity going on inside ACORN. Would you concede this point?

Remove the politics out of the equation. Shouldn't any person or group that organizes illegal activity, political or otherwise, face the full weight of the law? If a drug dealer set up on your corner would you ignore or protect him if you knew he was a Democrat?

This entire politicizing of every aspect of our lives is becoming a disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 10:46 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
The New Stabbed In the Back Myth

With the prospect of a bone-crushing election defeat staring them full in the face, the diehard rump of the conservative movement is already busy fashioning a narrative to explain the dissolution of its world -- the one that Ronald Reagan built and that George W. Bush (with an assist from Wall Street) has thoroughly trashed.

And the emerging story line appears to be, roughly, that ACORN did it.

The ACORN monster, in other words, is a stock character out of a play the Republicans have been performing with mind-numbing efficiency for the past 40 years -- making it the political equivalent of what The Fantasticks is for suburban dinner theater.

Daily Kos: The New Stabbed In the Back Myth

Old 01-12-2011, 10:46 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
If there had been a conservative group getting busted, through those same shady tactics, wouldn't you be applauding it? Would you support any organization, no matter what it did, as long as it was anti-republican?

O'Keefe's methods, shady as they may be, uncovered some disturbing and illegal activity going on inside ACORN. Would you concede this point?

Remove the politics out of the equation. Shouldn't any person or group that organizes illegal activity, political or otherwise, face the full weight of the law? If a drug dealer set up on your corner would you ignore or protect him if you knew he was a Democrat?

I'm grateful to law enforcement and prosecutors anytime they catch and convict someone of illegal activity. To suggest otherwise based on someone's political leanings shows YOUR bias.

The fact is that voter registration fraud is about padding the rolls of voters, and is a misdemeanor in most cases.

Voter fraud is a crime against democracy, it's about casting votes illegally, and is a felony in most cases.

The law makes a clear distinction between the two.

For some reason, the OP's link didn't.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Voter registration issues are not voter fraud. Any group registering voters is likely to submit invalid registrations. Many of the invalid voter registrations submitted by ACORN were flagged as suspicious by ACORN itself prior to submitting them to the State registrars. Should ACORN just have thrown them away?

What ACORN crimes did O'Keefe uncover? Has anyone been charged with a crime based on O'Keefe activities, other then O'Keefe himself.

From the California Attorney General's report:

http://ag.ca.gov/cms_attachments/pre...orn_report.pdf

Allegations of voter registration fraud against were raised in 2008 in San Diego County. The San Diego County Registrar submitted to the SOS 62 registration cards turned in by ACORN and Young Political Majors (YPM). The Registrar believed these cards were suspicious or possibly fraudulent in some way.26 YPM is not affiliated with ACORN and was hired by the California Republican Party to solicit voter registration and Republican Party membership. At the time the ACORN recordings were made public, the SOS had opened cases on some of the cards submitted by San Diego County, but for a multitude of reasons, had not focused its limited resources to fully resolving the cases. Of the 62 suspicious cards submitted, 31 related to multiple re-registrations not found to be fraudulent, and 24 were juvenile registrants that were too young to vote. Of the remaining cards, three were submitted by YPM, leaving four fraudulent cards collected by four different canvassers hired by ACORN. Due primarily to resource restrictions, these types of cases would not normally warrant a significant amount of investigation time. The SOS advised us of no other complaints of ACORN-related problems from the 2008 election.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Obviously you are not familiar with the details of the case. According to the prosecutors, she broke the law by offering bonuses to employees who exceeded voter registration goals. Such compensation is illegal in Nevada. She essentially pleaded no contest. She didn't plead guilty. Nothing was proven in a court of law.

Your flippant remarks about "people in the graveyard," have nothing to do with the case, and are clearly intended to be inflammatory, rather than actually adding to the discussion.

obviously you didnt read the story either, she pleaded the equivalent to no contest because she knew that she would lose in court.

even though my comments had no place in the story, it is consistent with the tactics of acorn registering dead people or sports teams in order to get more votes for the party of their choice. either way it is illegal, and the c**t should have gone to jail.

those are my thoughts on her.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Where did the money come from that she was paying these people to out perform?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
obviously you didnt read the story either, she pleaded the equivalent to no contest because she knew that she would lose in court.

even though my comments had no place in the story, it is consistent with the tactics of acorn registering dead people or sports teams in order to get more votes for the party of their choice. either way it is illegal, and the c**t should have gone to jail.

those are my thoughts on her.
I read the story quite thoroughly. Nothing you've said negates that. She pleaded no contest because she thought she'd lose in court. Which is different than thinking that the evidence is conclusive. But that's irrelevant.

Your comments about dead people registration are deliberately inflammatory, and are not supported by the facts. Why don't you provide some proof that these false registrations have actually led to ANY illegal votes.

Why should she have gotten jail time? It's illegal in Nevada to provide compensation based on the number of registrations such workers turn in, but how many other employers provide performance bonuses?

What EXACTLY did SHE do, that warrants jail time, as well as the unbelievably offensive term you've used for her?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
I'm grateful to law enforcement and prosecutors anytime they catch and convict someone of illegal activity. To suggest otherwise based on someone's political leanings shows YOUR bias.

The fact is that voter registration fraud is about padding the rolls of voters, and is a misdemeanor in most cases.

Voter fraud is a crime against democracy, it's about casting votes illegally, and is a felony in most cases.

The law makes a clear distinction between the two.

For some reason, the OP's link didn't.
I was quite generic in the way I phrased my points. How could I have made them with any less bias? Even when I ended with a competely politic-free sentiment you call me out on my conservative leanings. I reiterate my disease reference.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
I read the story quite thoroughly. Nothing you've said negates that. She pleaded no contest because she thought she'd lose in court. Which is different than thinking that the evidence is conclusive. But that's irrelevant.

Your comments about dead people registration are deliberately inflammatory, and are not supported by the facts. Why don't you provide some proof that these false registrations have actually led to ANY illegal votes.

Why should she have gotten jail time? It's illegal in Nevada to provide compensation based on the number of registrations such workers turn in, but how many other employers provide performance bonuses?

What EXACTLY did SHE do, that warrants jail time, as well as the unbelievably offensive term you've used for her?

does a gross misdemeanor mean anything at all to you? anyone who works or acts to subvert the voting in this country is that same word as well, whether they be on the left or right.

1 vote = 1 vote, not 1 vote = how many times can i vote in the same election.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:12 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Laura, what did she do? Offered bonuses to workers who exceeded their daily registration goals? Anything else?
What difference does it make? She was found guilty but her jail time was suspended and she's apparently not a first time offender for similar activities. What would it take to make her actually do her sentence? The point is related to the suspension of her jail time, after the verdict. Why do we treat a white collar criminal with kid gloves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies