Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2007, 10:23 AM

37,743 posts, read 40,800,947 times

Advertisements

Well let me ask you this, would an obviously intelligent person who discovered the cure for cancer want to be addressed as an esteemed scientist or an esteemed intellectual? How about an intelligent person who built a large successful business from nothing? Do you think that person wants to be called a successful entrepreneuer or a successful intellectual? Why is that? These people are intelligent, right? They aren't "jealous" or "too stupid" to shun intellectuals? Perhaps it's because they want to be recognized for what they've accomplished and not what they think because what is accomplished is valued more. How is that any different from the average Joe on the street who also places accomplishment over thinking/pondering/criticizing/espousing.

Sooooo, when do they hand out the Intellectual of The Year Award?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 10:28 AM

5,408 posts, read 7,773,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well let me ask you this, would an obviously intelligent person who discovered the cure for cancer want to be addressed as an esteemed scientist or an esteemed intellectual? How about an intelligent person who built a large successful business from nothing? Do you think that person wants to be called a successful entrepreneuer or a successful intellectual? Why is that? These people are intelligent, right? They aren't "jealous" or "too stupid" to shun intellectuals? Perhaps it's because they want to be recognized for what they've accomplished and not what they think because what is accomplished is valued more. How is that any different from the average Joe on the street who also places accomplishment over thinking/pondering/criticizing/espousing.

I would not mind being called both if I was in one of those positions. I don't know where this disdain of intellectuals comes from....if it is from one of the right wing pundits that would certainly be ironic, because they make their living off of thinking/pondering/criticizing/espousing...(well, at least the criticizing and espousing parts ) to their audiences.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:21 PM

7,161 posts, read 4,718,961 times
Quote:
I never thought of any of those people as intellectuals. Intellectuals to me are people who can't/dont apply their knowledge. They are people who can pontificate/criticize/ponder on shoes but can't tie their shoelaces.
I don't know where you got your definition(s) for "elite" and intellectual, but read bily4's post above as a start or use a dictionary.

Intellectuals are very rational people with great mental capacity and superb critical thinking skills. There are intellectuals in many fields: physics, mathematics, economics, medicine, business, art, music, etc.

An "elite" refers to a an exclusive group of people who exert power or influence due to political, economic or social dominance.

An intellectual can be part of an elite. But a member of an elite does not have to be an intellectual.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:36 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,135,306 times
Quote:

It seems that you see no value in intellectuals, that they accomplish nothing of value, and are wholly useless to society.
You're probably right that the "average Joe on the street" doesn't value thinking. Maybe it's the doing part, doing what he thought, or doing what he is told to do. I think it's the latter.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:25 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,847,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Medved, after taking the show's final caller, usually closes his program with his own comments.

I am not connected in any way to any university. I've heard Prager often mention his dislike for universities and teaching staff. But, what exactly are the world views of universities?

Intellectuals exist with various political views, but I don't think that intellectuals will necessarily promote one political party over another. These may be people who have thought out their ideas and are willing to calmly and thoughtfully discuss issues. But we'll rarely, if ever, see such people in the media. The public prefers the emotionally charged shouting matches. Better for ratings.

One thing I agree with Prager...that is about TV. About five years ago I gave away my TV and don't miss it one bit. I didn't think the TV landscape presented very much for stimulating thought. Maybe there are some, but I couldn't name anyone from TV that could be considered an intellectual.
"But we'll rarely, if ever, see such people in the media."

See, elitest.

The public is you, and I. I get the feeling that you and your ilk (the left), think they have to take care of the not so smarts.

Clue to you. The people that you think are dull are as smart as you...or smarter...or dumber. Might be a thought to leave them alone to manage their lives and monies.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
"But we'll rarely, if ever, see such people in the media."

See, elitest.

The public is you, and I. I get the feeling that you and your ilk (the left), think they have to take care of the not so smarts.

Clue to you. The people that you think are dull are as smart as you...or smarter...or dumber. Might be a thought to leave them alone to manage their lives and monies.
Do you listen to the commercials during the Medved and Prager programs? Ad companies do research to find their target audience. The caliber of the advertisers tells a whole lot about the average listener.

What is "elitist"?
Yes, I am part of the public. But where do you get the idea that "I and my ilk" have to take care of the "not so smarts"?

Who's bothering the dullards? I don't. What the dullards do with their lives doesn't interest me, as long as they tend to their own lives.

Maybe that last sentence is the hook. It wouldn't be bad if the dullards were to practice that as well. Instead of labeling others as immoral, anti-American, smearing muslims as terrorists, insisting that they (the Right) exclusively know what is right or wrong, demanding that only their religion be accepted as the only true religion, and on and on...

Old 07-29-2007, 07:48 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,380,292 times
Quote:
Okay, that's the mea culpa for the NYT. What about the other print media. How much of that has a right wing bias?
Most of it, and the broadcast media as well. Now, the point might be made that, in transitioning from public service and education as a top priority to making a profit as a top priority, cost-cutting and short-cutting have really brought about a bias toward power. This was hardly the case in the late 1990's, but it could be that it is the case today. But whatever the reason for it, there is no doubt that the media in general have behaved as little more than the sycophantic lackeys of this administration.

Quote:
Do you think the left has the market cornered on independence of thought and curiosity? Tell me why most of the universities cloister their world view and make it very, very difficlt for conservatives to get a position?
How could anyone 'corner the market' on independent thinking or curiosity? If there are many on the right who fail to exhibit very much of these, it isn't because the left is somehow hogging the entire supply of them. Tell me where this premise that 'universities cloister their world view' (whatever that actually means) has been established such that anyone has to explain it? If universities actually cloistered their world view, nobody would know what it is. There are meanwhile conservatives all over the academy. Much of supply-side economics and all this recent property rights hullabaloo has come straight from a bunch of conservatives at the University of Chicago. The Hoover Institution is a part of Stanford. And by the way, how many liberals and atheists are on the faculty at Regent, Liberty, and the dozens of other Christian colleges around the country? Are these open institutions that encourage curiosity and independent thinking by presenting to students the full range of challenge offered by modern scholarship?

Quote:
And, why yes, I agree that evidence that holds up under the rigors of examination and scrutiny is not beyound the grasp of most people. I do see that the left thinks they alone are capable of this.
You may consider that if those on the right persist in putting up evidence that does not hold up under the rigors of examination and scrutiny (i.e., re Iraq, re global warming, re evolution, re various social issues), they are quite liable to earn themselves a reputation for shoddy thinking. If you wish to demonstrate that something is within your grasp -- grasp it!

Old 07-29-2007, 08:01 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,380,292 times
Quote:
I see the terms, "label and smear", "divde and conquer proagandism" and "disinformation media" on virtually all of the major left wing web sites. Perhaps you are a victim of the same frightening brainwashing as the dullards of the right who listen to talk radio. Oh, no....I forgot. Not the same.
Divide and conquer is certainly seen in many contexts, but as regards both the characterization of right-wing political argument as label-and-smear and the description of the bought-and-paid-for right-wing communications combine as the disinformation-media, I see those in my own c-d posts much more often than anywhere else. Perhaps it is the case that these left wing web sites that you wish us to believe you make such broad and regular surveys of have stolen the terminology from me...

Old 07-29-2007, 09:52 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,847,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Do you listen to the commercials during the Medved and Prager programs? Ad companies do research to find their target audience. The caliber of the advertisers tells a whole lot about the average listener.

What is "elitist"?
Yes, I am part of the public. But where do you get the idea that "I and my ilk" have to take care of the "not so smarts"?

Who's bothering the dullards? I don't. What the dullards do with their lives doesn't interest me, as long as they tend to their own lives.

Maybe that last sentence is the hook. It wouldn't be bad if the dullards were to practice that as well. Instead of labeling others as immoral, anti-American, smearing muslims as terrorists, insisting that they (the Right) exclusively know what is right or wrong, demanding that only their religion be accepted as the only true religion, and on and on...

Yep, I listen to the comercials. I must be one of the ding-dongs that just buy the water purification thingys. Poor us. Need to be managed by the intoolecectuuuals. Also, I need to look into the millynoare in a minint! Gosh, I am so thankful that you you r luknooutferme,

Old 07-30-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Yep, I listen to the comercials. I must be one of the ding-dongs that just buy the water purification thingys. Poor us. Need to be managed by the intoolecectuuuals. Also, I need to look into the millynoare in a minint! Gosh, I am so thankful that you you r luknooutferme,
Your writing style is excellent, way above the average in many posts on these forums. I think you can provide some interesting input to this and other themes.
I thought it was intoolleckshuals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies