Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 03:18 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Looks like the tea party are keeping their promise of getting back to the past,... to the times of "separate, but equal"

Tea Party fights to abolish school integration | Raw Story
Proponents of the new policies note that they do not violate the Supreme Court's landmark 1954 case, "Brown v. Board of Education," which banned racial segregation, arguing that the proposed new policies are based on non-racial factors. -end quote

To take something on the surface and call it segregation is itself churning up the past. The only thing that these parents want is for their kids to go to schools close to home. Nothing to do with any racial issues whatsoever. Leave it to the NY Times to inject racial tension into it.

I wanted my kids to go to school close to home, does that make me a segregationist or just a caring parent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 03:21 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The question to you is why would you be part of a group that since the early 20th century has used racism against Black Americans for political gain? You can start with Herbert Hoover and his handling of the Great Mississippi of 1927.

--------(TRUNCATED FOR READABILITY PURPOSES)------ (SEE THE ORIGINAL POST ABOVE)

And THIS is the political party that YOU SUPPORT?
Republicans stop trying! The Southern Strategy and other "racist policies" from 30+ years ago will always be held over your heads, even through 150+ yrs of Democratic party racism (including from Northerners), so get over it!

It's also funny that even though the vast majority of Blacks (especially the poorer Blacks) live in cities completely controlled by Democrats for decades, and Democrats have had control of Congress for the vast majority of the past 65 years, somehow the Republicans are the ones who are hurting Blacks.

Republicans just need to realize that they will never be forgiven by liberal blacks for their "racist policies" from 30-40 years ago, simply because the Democrats stopped their own "racist policies" 40-50 years ago. Republican party failures throughout history will never be forgiven, and all Democratic party failures will be forgiven since they now court, pander, promise and give handouts to secure the "Black vote". Since Republicans' indifference to the "Black vote" is seen as "racism" and is worse than Democrats' courting, promising, pandering and handouts, Republicans will always be seen as racist until they start pandering, promising, and giving out more handouts too.

Let's be honest. Both parties stopped being racist at least in the last 20-30 years. Any Republican politician who says a REAL racist statement gets immediately kicked out, loses positions of power, or forced to resign. If a Democratic politician says a racist statement, they get a pass. If the Republicans were really racist, they would embrace the racist statements and keep people in the party. I wonder which party really embraces racism since the Dems never kick out any of their own for making racist statements.

The real problem here is liberal blacks don't agree with their policies, and use the current Republicans' indifference to the "Black community" and vote-getting strategies from 30+ years ago to make their case of a being racist, simply because they don't agree with that party's policies. Parties pander to the groups that support their policies, it's called winning elections with the least effort. With limited resources, why ask for votes in an area where your party's candidates have lost by a landslide for every Congressional election for the past 40+ years? However, it's easier to name call instead of just debating the differences of policy opinion.

I'm not naive enough to think there aren't racists out there, but it's quite weird to call the current version of the Republican party racist when it kicks out / demotes people for making real racist statements and give the current version of the Democratic party a pass despite it's decades of racist policies and current racist statements by Democratic party members. It's also weird when that allegedly "racist party" recently elected 2 Blacks to Congress, along with female Indian and Hispanic governors. Over a dozen Black Republicans were up for election this cycle all over the country, and lost to Democrats. Those people should have lost by a landslide against whites in their Republican primaries due to racism, right?

I'm neither Dem nor Repub, but I know hypocrisy when I see it.

Last edited by Freedom123; 01-13-2011 at 03:45 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 03:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Republican party failures throughout history will never be forgiven, and all Democratic party failures will be forgiven since they now court, pander, promise and give handouts to secure the "Black vote". Since Republicans' indifference to the "Black vote" is seen as "racism" and is worse than Democrats' courting, promising, pandering and handouts, Republicans will always be seen as racist until they start pandering, promising, and giving out more handouts too.
I'm an African American. Tell me...what "handout" have i recieved that you haven't?

Old 01-13-2011, 03:37 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Don't know who runs those schools. And i don't know that NO ONE wants to attend them. Obviously, SOMEBODY wants to attend them, or no children would be there.

Don't know if the Principal is black. Don't know if all the teachers are black.

I wouldn't want to take black kids away from black teachers and black principals no more than i'd want to take those same kids away from white teachers and white principals. I don't know what you're even talking about. Don't care about the color of the faculty. And you can't find anywhere on here where i said i did.

Don't know why they're bad districts. You'd have to ask the people who live in those bad districts. I don't live in a bad district myself....and i've never attended a school in a bad district. Sorry, can't answer your question.

What MAKES them bad districts? Do you have children in school? Do you want them to go to schools in a good district? If the answer is yes (and i'm sure it is), then you must obviously know what the opposite is and what makes it so. So why ask me a dumb question like that?
IMO you are very pompous. You come on here trashing the Tea party, the Republican party and anyone who is affiliated with them. You make outrages claims and statements and when questioned you get all defensive and not only refuse to answer but, get indignant with the questioner.

You back up nothing. Only throw more flames.

Have fun in your distorted world by yourself.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
IMO you are very pompous. You come on here trashing the Tea party, the Republican party and anyone who is affiliated with them. You make outrages claims and statements and when questioned you get all defensive and not only refuse to answer but, get indignant with the questioner.

You back up nothing. Only throw more flames.

Have fun in your distorted world by yourself.
LOL...i didn't trash the Republican Party, nor did i trash the Tea Party. I even said that i have no problem with people joining them. I didn't trash the people affiliated with them at all. Where? The only thing i said is that they're hostile to black people. That's a fact jack...or my opinion disguised as my own set of facts. I don't have a right to my opinion?

And i've refused to answer nothing, except where the questioner is being insulting. To ask me why i'm a Democrat based on the fact that i'm black is insulting. I wouldn't ask a white person why they are what they are just because they're white! Do unto others.....well, you know the rest.

Pompous? I'll take that. Better than the alternative.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:54 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Personally, I'd prefer zero public subsidy for education. So far, the more government spends, the less education is imparted, if scores are any measure.

Perhaps without taxpayer subsidy, scholastic scores might rise, as parents would not pay to send their children to schools that can't / won't function. Or that spend the bulk of their budget on administrative overhead. Or that spend more on athletics than on the school library and textbooks.

Administering a credentials bank is perhaps the most we should burden government with, when it comes to education.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:08 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm an African American. Tell me...what "handout" have i recieved that you haven't?
I never said YOU did or did not receive a handout, I said the current Democratic party panders to the so-called "Black vote" using promises of handouts of increased social spending (that usually don't even materialize). They've also used fear of racism or a return to Jim Crow era policies as a reason to vote Democratic and against the Republicans. It's very condescending to anyone who's an African-American and could be argued as racist since it assumes Blacks are a monolithic group looking for the aforementioned handouts.

If Democrats really wanted to help the poor Blacks they pander to, they would implement handup policies already written into law like:
- The Hawkins Humphrey Full Employment Act of 1977, which was SUPPOSED to mandate the federal government to create a pool of jobs for the unemployed and poor people. Instead they turned this duty over to the Federal Reserve through monetary policy that's supposedly creates jobs through monetary policy.

Or, they could implement these:
- Real job training and placement like the WIA program used after Hurricane Katrina that gave any affected person a job if they wanted one at $9.75 per hour, and created private sector on the job training positions by paying the 1st month's salary. We could open up low level positions in government agencies for workers to be employed temporarily while in college or training for permanent skills so they can permanently escape poverty.
- Job placement and reintegration for convicted felons, so they won't reoffend and go back to prison. This will especially help ex-offending Black males, which in turn will help their families since he is in the home and employed.
- More child care assistance for single mothers if they want to go to school or for the first month or two of a job, instead of just giving free housing and a check and saying "thanks for the vote".
- They would also protect peaceful Blacks in these warzones with better policing instead of patchwork efforts.
- They would promote entrepreneurship and wealth for all poor people including poor Blacks with loans that are actually attainable.

Democrats say they care about poor Blacks and poor people in general, but they don't help them move up, they just make empty promises and forget about them until the next election.

I said the "Black vote" which usually means poor, inner city Blacks in typically Democratic strongholds. Just because you are Black doesn't mean this applies to you personally. In fairness, the Democrats and Republicans in general offer handouts to ALL of their typical supporters. The current Republican party is indifferent to the "Black vote" so they are seen as racist.

Republicans pander using tax cut handouts to get the "business vote" and pander to the "family values crowd" with federalized abortion and anti-gay marriage policies. I don't agree with these social policies since they are state issues. I'm against handouts from Dems and Repubs, yet I realize they are part of the process of winning votes. I don't see a party as racist simply because they pander to one group and are indifferent to another. Otherwise I could make an argument that Democrats are anti-poor rural white since they don't usually pander to that group. It may be dirty or heartless in some situations where people who need real help are being ignored, but all parties do it and no one is better than the other for it.

My issue here is not about handouts since both parties do it. My issue is with a party being called racist for simply ignoring a group that typically does not support them, even though racist statements come from politicians from both parties.

Both parties haven't been truly racist for the last 20-30 years.

Last edited by Freedom123; 01-13-2011 at 04:26 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Republicans stop trying! The Southern Strategy and other "racist policies" from 30+ years ago will always be held over your heads, even through 150+ yrs of Democratic party racism (including from Northerners), so get over it!

It's also funny that even though the vast majority of Blacks (especially the poorer Blacks) live in cities completely controlled by Democrats for decades, and Democrats have had control of Congress for the vast majority of the past 65 years, somehow the Republicans are the ones who are hurting Blacks.

Republicans just need to realize that they will never be forgiven by liberal blacks for their "racist policies" from 30-40 years ago, simply because the Democrats stopped their own "racist policies" 40-50 years ago. Republican party failures throughout history will never be forgiven, and all Democratic party failures will be forgiven since they now court, pander, promise and give handouts to secure the "Black vote". Since Republicans' indifference to the "Black vote" is seen as "racism" and is worse than Democrats' courting, promising, pandering and handouts, Republicans will always be seen as racist until they start pandering, promising, and giving out more handouts too.

Let's be honest. Both parties stopped being racist at least in the last 20-30 years. Any Republican politician who says a REAL racist statement gets immediately kicked out, loses positions of power, or forced to resign. If a Democratic politician says a racist statement, they get a pass. If the Republicans were really racist, they would embrace the racist statements and keep people in the party. I wonder which party really embraces racism since the Dems never kick out any of their own for making racist statements.

The real problem here is liberal blacks don't agree with their policies, and use the current Republicans' indifference to the "Black community" and vote-getting strategies from 30+ years ago to make their case of a being racist, simply because they don't agree with that party's policies. Parties pander to the groups that support their policies, it's called winning elections with the least effort. With limited resources, why ask for votes in an area where your party's candidates have lost by a landslide for every Congressional election for the past 40+ years? However, it's easier to name call instead of just debating the differences of policy opinion.

I'm not naive enough to think there aren't racists out there, but it's quite weird to call the current version of the Republican party racist when it kicks out / demotes people for making real racist statements and give the current version of the Democratic party a pass despite it's decades of racist policies and current racist statements by Democratic party members. It's also weird when that allegedly "racist party" recently elected 2 Blacks to Congress, along with female Indian and Hispanic governors. Over a dozen Black Republicans were up for election this cycle all over the country, and lost to Democrats. Those people should have lost by a landslide against whites in their Republican primaries due to racism, right?

The what you conveniently chose to ignore was that Rand Paul's remarks regarding removing the portion of the Civil Rights Act pertaining to discriminaton in private businesses wasnt' 30 or 40 years ago it was last year. The policies of the Republican Party haven't stopped they continue. The Republican Party will continue to use the Southern Strategy for at least the next ten years. Why? Because it worlks in by playing on bigotry and hatred of certain segments of the population they continue to attract votes.

Also lets not forget that recently a Republican district chairman in Arizona was just forced to resign due to threats against him by Tea Party members. They specifically called him "John McCain's Boy"

Gabrielle Giffords' Arizona shooting prompts resignations

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-13-2011 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: copyright, post link only

Old 01-13-2011, 06:06 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Let me ask you, who runs those schools that no one wants to attend?

Is the principal black? Are the teachers black?

Why would you want to take blacks kids with black teachers and send them to schools with white principals and white teachers?

Why are they "bad" districts?

What makes them "bad" districs?
Typically, it's a combination of factors. Low socio-economic areas do not have the money to maintain and purchase materials. Thus, education delivery is reduced.

Not to mention high turnover rates for teachers. Low income districts typically are staffed with new teachers that leave the profession or district in a short amount of time.

It's not about Black or White principals, but addressing the inequalities exist in education.

Racially and economically mixed schools. Busing students shouldn't be the only option, however. Economically mixed neighborhoods should be more the urban paradigm rather than the current segregated islands of wealth surrounded by a sea of poverty in urban areas. Suburban areas shouldn't be separated from the world as they currently are. So rather, we should look at urban planning as a means to address some of the disparities that exist.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:08 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:

Just because nobody has called anyone the n word doesn't mean there aren't racial implications for policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies