Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 12:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not your pal.

And the term "inner city" is a metaphor for black. I wouldn't be so trucculent if people just said black, but all this trying to be slick stuff aint flying without me pointing it out. If you guys don't like it....oh well. But i'm obliged to call it out.
The term inner city means inner city. You can read whatever bias you want into it but it refers to a geographic area with an economic condition..usually poverty.

Nowhere do I see "Black". And this term is not an American term..it applies to countries all over the world.

Inner city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
".. term is often applied to the poorer parts of the city centre and is sometimes used as a euphemism with the connotation of being an area, perhaps a ghetto or slum, where residents are less educated and more impoverished and where there is more crime."

In some countries it is the opposite..the inner city is the rich section where the suburbs are the poor sections..like in Vienna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 12:54 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The term inner city means inner city. You can read whatever bias you want into it but it refers to a geographic area with an economic condition..usually poverty.

Nowhere do I see "Black". And this term is not an American term..it applies to countries all over the world.

".. term is often applied to the poorer parts of the city centre and is sometimes used as a euphemism with the connotation of being an area, perhaps a ghetto or slum, where residents are less educated and more impoverished and where there is more crime."

In some countries it is the opposite..the inner city is the rich section where the suburbs are the poor sections..like in Vienna.
Here in South Carolina, the poorer sections are the rural areas. The metro areas actually have the better schools, jobs, etc.

Last edited by southbel; 01-14-2011 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-14-2011, 01:01 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
In during the 2010 mid-term election campaign Rand Paul suggested the portion of th Civil Rights of 1964 which addresses right of private busines owners based on race. When he faced further public scrutiny about this issue he dialed back his rhetoric.
And THIS is the political party that YOU SUPPORT?
He never dialed back on his rhetoric, That is your misguided perception. The media is the one that dialed back, falsely accusing Rand of wanting to vote against the Civil Rights Act. The truth being he had problems with a portion of it but wouldn't vote against it. Chris Matthews was one of the few who apologized for getting it wrong.

So let me get this right. A black man owns a restaurant. One of his great grand parents was lynched by the klan. A person comes into his place of business wearing klansman clothing and you say he has to serve him. What do you have against black people that you want to use force and make them serve whomever YOU want?

Rand Paul understands what you do not. You cannot use force to infringe on others rights in order to make people accept what you think is fair. Easy enough to let the free market decide. Someone wants to be dumb enough and not do business with a certain segment of the population and thereby not maximize their profits so be it. Another company will come along that does and more than likely force change on the other company or run them out of business.

The two biggest issues at election time were the economy and the debt. You are casting dispersions on one of the few people who is in Congress now that was correct on both of the issues. What do you have against being correct? or is it just the ones with an R behind their name you don't like being correct?

Old 01-14-2011, 01:06 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Not your pal.

And the term "inner city" is a metaphor for black. I wouldn't be so trucculent if people just said black, but all this trying to be slick stuff aint flying without me pointing it out. If you guys don't like it....oh well. But i'm obliged to call it out.
If you want to twist the meanings of words around to fit your agenda more power to you but don't expect others to accept it especially when you are incorrect.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:06 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,330 times
Quote:
By being honest, frankly. I'm rarely if ever insulted by blantant and brutal honesty rather than talking around an issue with the assumption that the people you're really trying to insult won't pick it up.

I hate these stupid metaphors....especially "inner city." It drives me nuts.
Good afternoon,

Cool, I understand what you're saying now, and I assumed that's you what you meant but I wanted to be sure. I wonder if some use that term since that's more accepted in society as an attempt to be PC and not offend people. I'm not a fan of the PC terms either, as I prefer to be direct in who I'm referencing, hence why I say poor Blacks or poor, rural whites, instead of "urban", "inner city" or "redneck", etc.

Either way, thanks for the clarification!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

ok...more specifically...

In AMERICA, Inner City means BLACK!! Look...i know what the term means in the literal sense. I'm talking about the figurative sense. When that term is brought up in THIS COUNTRY, it means black. Come on...i've been on this Earth for 45 years. You don't think i can pick that up?

I'm not saying that everyone who says "inner city" is racist. Obviously not. But they do mean BLACK! Sure, in some places, the inner city isn't filled with blacks exclusively or perhaps not any blacks at all. But again, 9 out of 10 times when someone says inner city, it's completely interchangeable with black.

In any case, i understand what you're trying to say.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good afternoon,

Cool, I understand what you're saying now, and I assumed that's you what you meant but I wanted to be sure. I wonder if some use that term since that's more accepted in society as an attempt to be PC and not offend people. I'm not a fan of the PC terms either, as I prefer to be direct in who I'm referencing, hence why I say poor Blacks or poor, rural whites, instead of "urban", "inner city" or "redneck", etc.

Either way, thanks for the clarification!
And if you've noticed, i've not really been combative with you seeing as how you've been direct and honest. I can appreciate that. You seem to be the only one who gets what i'm saying here.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:15 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:

In AMERICA, Inner City means BLACK!! Look...i know what the term means in the literal sense. I'm talking about the figurative sense. When that term is brought up in THIS COUNTRY, it means black. Come on...i've been on this Earth for 45 years. You don't think i can pick that up?

I'm not saying that everyone who says "inner city" is racist. Obviously not. But they do mean BLACK! Sure, in some places, the inner city isn't filled with blacks exclusively or perhaps not any blacks at all. But again, 9 out of 10 times when someone says inner city, it's completely interchangeable with black.

oh bull

people call the 'innercity' of watertown just that...its 99% white

sorry but you cant just put YOUR defination and have it pass the smell test

innercity means just that...inner urban...usually OLD PART OF THE CITY, or RUN DOWN PART.....ene 'historic downtown'.........it has NOTHING to do with color....except to people who WANT to make it about race...look in the mirror ....pal

Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
He never dialed back on his rhetoric, That is your misguided perception. The media is the one that dialed back, falsely accusing Rand of wanting to vote against the Civil Rights Act. The truth being he had problems with a portion of it but wouldn't vote against it. Chris Matthews was one of the few who apologized for getting it wrong.

So let me get this right. A black man owns a restaurant. One of his great grand parents was lynched by the klan. A person comes into his place of business wearing klansman clothing and you say he has to serve him. What do you have against black people that you want to use force and make them serve whomever YOU want?

Rand Paul understands what you do not. You cannot use force to infringe on others rights in order to make people accept what you think is fair. Easy enough to let the free market decide. Someone wants to be dumb enough and not do business with a certain segment of the population and thereby not maximize their profits so be it. Another company will come along that does and more than likely force change on the other company or run them out of business.

The two biggest issues at election time were the economy and the debt. You are casting dispersions on one of the few people who is in Congress now that was correct on both of the issues. What do you have against being correct? or is it just the ones with an R behind their name you don't like being correct?
That was basically my point, that Rand Paul was making an academic argument of why that ONE portion of the Act may not be Constitutional, even though he doesn't personally believe in discrimination. It doesn't matter, he will never been forgiven for it and Republicans as a party will pay for it because on the surface it seems "racist".

His argument is similar to Barry Goldwater's argument against the Civil Rights Act due to Constitutionality issues, even though he was personally against discrimination. Both subscribed to libertarian type ideologies, which is why they were so strict on following the Constitution when Congress makes decisions instead of passing laws based on what's "the right thing to do". Their ideologies prefer the Amendment process to remedy anything that's not covered.

Ideologies that don't have as much of a strict interpretation and respect for the letter of the Constitution / Amendments can't understand this line of thinking because for them the positive end goal justifies the means, even if it violates the Constitution their body must uphold when passing legislation. Just differences in ideology.

Hopefully at some point we can debate issues without the red herring of racism.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:22 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:

I agree with you.

"Inner City" means black. However, it is a genuine attempt to distinguish those of the lower class from others. It might be used with racist objectives, but a racist person would just say black as they usually do not care to distinguish.

Furthermore, I have heard whites, blacks, and not a few Hispanics use the term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies