Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Personal anecdotes: debate killer?
Yes 8 24.24%
No 25 75.76%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:51 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times

Advertisements

Of course, there are always those topics where anecdotal evidence is all that's available.

I doubt anyone's done research into whether psycho chicks tend to be hot, or hot chicks tend to be psycho. Guess it doesn't really matter, since correlation is not the same as causation. But personal experience is all you really have to go on with that.

Of course, that ignores the possibility that ALL chicks are psycho, or that they become psycho when you call them "chicks".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 01:26 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
Not at all on this particular forum...there's no way to know if someone's telling the truth or not, and hearing one person's experience doesn't make that experience common across the board. There are agendas here that are not present in other forums (ie. the pet forums) where people post for the purpose of genuinely wanting to help and support one another...I take personal experience much more seriously in those cases than I ever would here!

Old 01-15-2011, 01:40 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No, because most of the time scientists don't know what they're doing.
And you know this how....??

Old 01-15-2011, 06:01 PM

Because if you know what you're doing, you don't get the wrong answer. In fact, you get a decisive, conclusive, absolutely correct answer.

If I ask you if it's going to rain here tomorrow, you should be able to tell me "yes" or "no". Not talk about the "chance" for rain. That does me no good, I want to know "yes" or "no".

Science doesn't have a cure for cancer, or schizophrenia, or a number of other diseases--so quite simply, they don't know what they're doing (not to mention the whole medical malpractice thing, where they wind up misdiagnosing a patient or worse).

Old 01-15-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Because if you know what you're doing, you don't get the wrong answer. In fact, you get a decisive, conclusive, absolutely correct answer.

If I ask you if it's going to rain here tomorrow, you should be able to tell me "yes" or "no". Not talk about the "chance" for rain. That does me no good, I want to know "yes" or "no".

Science doesn't have a cure for cancer, or schizophrenia, or a number of other diseases--so quite simply, they don't know what they're doing (not to mention the whole medical malpractice thing, where they wind up misdiagnosing a patient or worse).
In other words, in your opinion. That's OK, you're entitled....

Old 01-15-2011, 08:19 PM

No. Fact.

If they don't have ALL the answers, then they obviously don't know what they're doing.

If they get the WRONG answer, they obviously don't know what they're doing.

If you know what you're doing, you always get the desired result. Or solve the problem in question.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
No. Fact.

If they don't have ALL the answers, then they obviously don't know what they're doing.

If they get the WRONG answer, they obviously don't know what they're doing.

If you know what you're doing, you always get the desired result. Or solve the problem in question.
Until you document that most scientists are always wrong, it's your opinion.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:55 PM

The record speaks for itself.

Including the fact that medicine is a type of science, as is meteorology.

Weather guessers can't even give you a precise answer as to whether or not it will rain, they only speak about "chances".

If it's up to chance, you might as well be reading tea leaves and consulting psychics...the results are going to be the same.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
The record speaks for itself.

Including the fact that medicine is a type of science, as is meteorology.

Weather guessers can't even give you a precise answer as to whether or not it will rain, they only speak about "chances".

If it's up to chance, you might as well be reading tea leaves and consulting psychics...the results are going to be the same.
What record?? You have not linked to a single record.

Your assertion:
Quote:
most of the time scientists don't know what they're doing.
Prove it - with FACTS, not your faulty syllogistic nonsense..

Old 01-16-2011, 12:26 AM

The public record.

The failed experiments, the amending of what is scientific fact.

They once believed that flies came directly from rotted meat, not from eggs laid there. They once believed that stress caused ulcers, not H. pylori.

There are numerous examples of doctors making a faulty diagnosis, or giving the wrong treatment.

Unless it is PERFECT, then it is faulty. Everything I do is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies