Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Personal anecdotes: debate killer?
Yes 8 24.24%
No 25 75.76%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:57 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
"You changed your post since, but asked if I was left or right wing."

I'm anarchist. I am for the dissolution of government. I'm against society as well. Every man for himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 02:00 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Nope, the Communists are extreme left wing.
Banning religion meant freedom? Banning guns meant freedom? Redistribution of wealth meant freedom? You said before that left = freedom. I'm afraid I cannot see the connection.

Quote:
By the way, I don't see the same "control" that you do.
So, when the Soviets confiscated rifles from hunters after the communist revolution by force, that was not "control"? What was it then?

Last edited by summers73; 01-12-2011 at 02:08 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I'm anarchist. I am for the dissolution of government. I'm against society as well. Every man for himself.
Then the left or right means nothing then. You are extreme on one side. In your opinion, extreme left anarchist. In my opinion, extreme right anarchist. To-may-to, to-mah-to. Glad we could come to some sort of agreement.

For me, I would be almost extreme left winged (by your metric), or extreme right winged (by my metric). But, I'm still having difficulty reconciling the exceptions you laid out and your definition of "control" (since it was in quotes). Please elaborate.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
The far left and the far right meet around society's back door and find common ground.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
To add, if someone is referencing something that happened before my own time, am I supposed to believe a writer who might even be younger than me? Or should I believe the personal anecdote of someone who lived during that time?

You could write a story about life during the Roaring Twenties, or during the Great Depression, but unless you personally were there, it's mere secondhand knowledge, and I'd prefer to get it right from the source.

My OWN personal experience would be best, but someone else's may also be acceptable.
That is why citations have degrees of credibility. An anecdote on CD has zero unless proven otherwise, whereas someone who has written extensively about a subject has much more. It also matter on whether the anecdote is meant, at the time, to try to persuade the opponent or the audience.

If CD had a way of authenticating user accounts, etc that would be different. Some have used stamped visas to prove they were in a particular location. I've seen this on online debates when one doesn't believe someone else about being in a particular location. Some people put up a newspaper with the current date to indicate presence of a location.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:09 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
I don't care if you've written extensively about a subject, if all you have is second hand knowledge.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:09 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I like to hear from people who have experienced things. You know, I'd rather hear from someone who lived through, for example, the Carter Administration and what it was like to wait on line at the gas pumps based on odd or even license plate numbers than from someone relating what they read in a textbook about a president's administration. But, it's not just in this forum that I like that. I enjoy hearing about people's experiences even with topics like what it was like to live through some big weather event or what it was like at some inauguration. It doesn't make a case for an argument but it's interesting to me to hear eyewitness accounts.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:19 PM

It is great to hear from people who've experienced things, it is just treated as suspicious if it's used as a means to win a debate.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Depends on the topic. I NEVER...i repeat, NEVER believe the stories of financial success and i own this and that.
It also depends on who it is posting anecdotes, there are quite a few posters on here whom I have little or no respect for anything they say , then there are others whom I disagree with but I can still respect.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:34 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It is great to hear from people who've experienced things, it is just treated as suspicious if it's used as a means to win a debate.
Exactly. There was once a thread here that concerned subchapter S corporations. A poster came on and started yapping about how he or she owned a subchapter S corporation and how sick they were of being taxed twice, etc.

Well! I and a few others instantly called BS, since Subchapter S corporations are not 'double taxed'. The poster obviously was making the whole thing up to try to prove some point. Interestingly, said poster dropped out of the thread and, whereas he or she used to be very active in posting on CD, has not been seen since (I imagine he or she simply changed his or her board name).

I also think a lot of people forget that the internet does not contain ALL OF THE INFORMATION IN THE UNIVERSE, at least, not yet. There are still plenty of laws, regulations, statutes, etc, from USA and (especially) other countries that have not been digitalized. One may look up the law about, say, immigration, but one may not actually see all of the regulations, opinions, etc., about the statute you are studying. Heck, I am involved in Social Security disability law, and only in the past year or two have certain resources come online (Hallex, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies