Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 11:47 PM

352 posts, read 187,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
He has not yet, why not?

Why doesn't Obama acknowledge the incidiary and devisive rhetorics he's used in the past like:

"they cling to their religion and their guns"
"If they bring a knife to the fight, we'll bring a gun"
"punish our enemies and reward our friends"
"they have to sit in the back on this"

Why doesn't he apologize to the American public for helping to set the example that vitriolic political rhetoric is acceptable and pledge to stop and encourage members of his own party, and Congress as a whole, to do the same?

Are national moments of silence and appearances at an AZ memorial enough? Or, do you think that Obama should accept his role in the escalation of vitriolic rhetoric, apologize for the bad example he set in so doing, and pledge to stop it while inviting other elected representatives to do the same?
Let me take a stab, er, um, I mean a take a shot, no, hm, let me take a crack at this.

Because he is not a leader.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:10 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Default Civility? Obama Please Lead By Example

Obama encouraged the U.S. citizens to tone down the rhetoric and have a more civil discourse.

How do you think he will do in this challenge? Do you think he will actually show leadership and set the tone and lead his party into having a better and kinder relationship with his opposition?

Do you think he will admonish those in his party who continue to engage in ugly accusations and rhetoric. To me this is what a leader does. Lead by example.

I think it will be interesting to see if he takes the lead and practices what he preaches.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:16 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,561 times
i think the speech was very good. nobody is scrutinized more than the president...i feel no matter what he said, there would be a backlash.

of course, eyes will be upon him to see how he follows through with what he said, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here...

Old 01-13-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
i think the speech was very good. nobody is scrutinized more than the president...i feel no matter what he said, there would be a backlash.
of course, eyes will be upon him to see how he follows through with what he said, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here...
Just curious. How was I "getting ahead of myself?"

I simply asked if posters think Obama will take a leadership role in trying to have a more civil discourse. Because really, what is the point if action doesn't follow words?

Thanks for you input.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:25 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post

I simply asked if posters think Obama will take a leadership role in trying to have a more civil discourse. Because really, what is the point if action doesn't follow words?

Thanks for you input.
Well, in this instance the action is all about the words. I suspect Obama is conscious enough to realize that if he doesn't follow through he'll look bad, given the scrutiny he himself has called for on this matter.

The mass media won't change significantly, but I suspect that the tone in Washington will be subdued for at least a couple of months. When people's positions are on the line, it'll go back to normal.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post

Thanks for you input.
my apologies, i wasn't pointing at you, but rather everyone...it's a great question you asked, and my answer would be, the best way to predict the future, is to study the past...so, expect more of the same. it's a "feel good" speech, but i'm not concerned so much with what he's gonna do. i'll be focused on what i'm gonna do.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
my apologies, i wasn't pointing at you, but rather everyone...it's a great question you asked, and my answer would be, the best way to predict the future, is to study the past...so, expect more of the same. it's a "feel good" speech, but i'm not concerned so much with what he's gonna do. i'll be focused on what i'm gonna do.
No problem. I agree. I remember after 9/11 and our country really seemed to come together. It was amazing. But sadly, it wasnt long until we went right back to where we were and worse.

It is almost like when someone has a health scare they makes a lot of positive changes but soon they fall right back into their old ways. Very easy to do.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:39 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Personally, I think this whole tragedy was a turning point. Lots of reasonable people on both sides of the isle have been disgusted by the falling apart of political civility in this country--some people have toned it down over time because it was the right thing to do, but (and I'm being cynical but honest) it may now be the economically smart thing to do. When you have Roger Ailes at Fox telling his staff to shut up, tone it down, and make their points intellectually, there are big changes in the works--no one can say he isn't about as profit driven as it gets, and if it's good for business to knock off the ugly stuff, he'll be there.

As far as Obama goes--I think that's why Obama won the last election--his message was positive vs. fear mongering. It fell apart on both sides after that, but people want to get out of the muck and do something positive for once--they're hungry for it. I think we're going to see more of the old Barack Obama we elected from now on.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:42 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Default Civility? Obama Please Lead By Example

Very amusing...

The hate radio flamethrowers who spew venom daily have become hypersensitive and PC to the extreme in order to justify their anger over anything Obama says. They'll twist his words like pretzels to try to ramp up the hate and anger among their audience.

Relax, everyone. The vile fear and anger-inducing words are not coming from Obama. And the weak diversions offered by the hate merchants will only work with their followers, who aren't the least bit interested in toning down their rhetoric.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Very amusing...

The hate radio flamethrowers who spew venom daily have become hypersensitive and PC to the extreme in order to justify their anger over anything Obama says. They'll twist his words like pretzels to try to ramp up the hate and anger among their audience.

Relax, everyone. The vile fear and anger-inducing words are not coming from Obama. And the weak diversions offered by the hate merchants will only work with their followers, who aren't the least bit interested in toning down their rhetoric.

great example of "looking within", and "toning down the rhetoric"...Obama would be proud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies