Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:22 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Capital punishment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks to the notorious Bloody Code, 18th century (and early 19th century) Britain was a hazardous place to live. For example, Michael Hammond and his sister, Ann, whose ages were given as 7 and 11, were reportedly hanged at King's Lynn on Wednesday, September 28, 1708 for theft. The local press did not, however, consider the executions of two children newsworthy.[28]

The two most common forms of execution in China in the Tang period were strangulation and decapitation, which were the prescribed methods of execution for 144 and 89 offenses respectively. Strangulation was the prescribed sentence for lodging an accusation against one's parents or grandparents

I wonder in 300 years what it will be like. Will it be just like now...or will they look at us like we look at those who came before.

People ague that the death penalty is wrong. I think so, too. I think that if the person is innocent, then they still might have a chance to go free. I also think that if they are not, they will have to live with the horror of prison life until they die.

//www.city-data.com/forum/true-...ath-after.html

This man killed his three children, then tried to kill himself. Oh yeah, lock him up for the rest of his life. He WANTS to die. He will still find a way, I am sure. Let him choke to death on toilet paper, not go out quietly with a rush of chemicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

Thanks to the notorious Bloody Code, 18th century (and early 19th century) Britain was a hazardous place to live. For example, Michael Hammond and his sister, Ann, whose ages were given as 7 and 11, were reportedly hanged at King's Lynn on Wednesday, September 28, 1708 for theft. The local press did not, however, consider the executions of two children newsworthy.[28]

The two most common forms of execution in China in the Tang period were strangulation and decapitation, which were the prescribed methods of execution for 144 and 89 offenses respectively. Strangulation was the prescribed sentence for lodging an accusation against one's parents or grandparents

I wonder in 300 years what it will be like. Will it be just like now...or will they look at us like we look at those who came before.

People ague that the death penalty is wrong. I think so, too. I think that if the person is innocent, then they still might have a chance to go free. I also think that if they are not, they will have to live with the horror of prison life until they die.

This man killed his three children, then tried to kill himself. Oh yeah, lock him up for the rest of his life. He WANTS to die. He will still find a way, I am sure. Let him choke to death on toilet paper, not go out quietly with a rush of chemicals.
It's his choice if he wants to live or die. It's his body. As long as he is not trampling on the rights of others he should be allowed his freedom. I don't own him.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:16 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:

I look at the death penalty this way.

If I was not immediately effected by the murder, then I should have no say in the death penalty or how its done.

I don't want the state to decide for the family what is right and wrong. Personally I feel that a jury could send someone to death row, but if the family of the victims don't want him murdered, or don't want to do it themselves, then the state shouldn't do it.

I understand the reaction what you're feeling. We all have a very basic human reaction to this type of crime. But I know for me personally I'd want to pull the switch on a person who harmed my loved one, I wouldn't want someone doing it for me.

And we also aren't animals like the people that we are putting down. We can't violently carry out a vendetta against these people. If we've deemed they are to dangerous to be allowed to exist, then we dispose of them in an orderly manner that isn't violent, because we aren't like them.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:25 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's his choice if he wants to live or die. It's his body. As long as he is not trampling on the rights of others he should be allowed his freedom. I don't own him.
Trampling the rights of others? He obliterated the rights of others when he killed his 3 children. Hang him!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Trampling the rights of others? He obliterated the rights of others when he killed his 3 children. Hang him!
How is that eye for an eye mentality working in the Middle East? You should never take anothers life except in the act of self defense.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:45 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Death penalty should be mental death and not physical death. Lock them in a 8x8 room with barely any light and the sound of a slow dripping faucet. No visitors, No reading mat'l, No contact with anyone else.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
How is that eye for an eye mentality working in the Middle East?
Random acts of violence are not the same as very specifically taking the life of one known to have taken another's for no reason.

Quote:
You should never take anothers life except in the act of self defense.
No, I believe execution is just punishment for murder.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:19 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
The victim should decide the penalty.
Under the "eye for an eye / tooth for a tooth" rule.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:30 AM

657 posts, read 697,460 times
Quote:
Of course, they will look at the then probably defunct US and think wow that place sure was stuck in the middle ages. I mean, no offense, but that's what most other modern countries think about the legal system of the US today already.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Random acts of violence are not the same as very specifically taking the life of one known to have taken another's for no reason.

No, I believe execution is just punishment for murder.
It is not a random act of violence. The ones who do this, do it for a specific reason. You kill my people, I'll kill yours. We know this, we've known this for a long time. These people do not walk around town randomly blowing themselves up for no reason.
I probably wouldn't be able to judge which one was gonna blow. 60 minutes do a nice informative segment on people in the Middle East being held on terrorism charges. They "seemed" like normal everyday people except for the fact they have no problem purposely ending their life for their cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies