Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 02:55 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
She decided to become a teacher! That job that others say there will always be a shortage of, yunno?

Again, I do not understand this let's bash our fellow American attitude when the truth is that even if she could not get a teaching job, had her job not been outsourced to India, she could have gone back to a job like that.
Wait, I thought you said her job was being outsourced to India? If she was trying to be a teacher, she must have not been qualified for the position. Which leads me to my next lesson: never leave a job until you have an offer for another. She obviously didn't have a confirmed offer for the position otherwise she would have been able to sue the school she was "supposed" to work for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 02:57 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Actually, our insurance is one of the better ones. That's a point brought out in this article, many who were forced into bankruptcy due to medical costs had insurance. It simply doesn't cover everything, and leaves huge gaps that struggling families are left to fill in. Its to the point we can't afford medical care even with insurance!
I have great insurance - $500 ded. 100% after. I also have free preventative care and 6 free (w/o copay) doctor's visits. All for $40 per month. Minus $8 for my vision so about $32.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Need to print out this article and hand to those who insist I run from one doctor to another, and take kids from doctor to doctor, to satisfy some idea of theirs they want validated. They keep sayig oh, don't you nave insurance? Insurance isn't a blank check, it doesn't pay everything, with deductibles, copays, and denied claims we're in debt thousands just for medical, and we have insurance.

I'm sick of schools insisting I take my kids here and there for evaluations, etc, if they want it, let them pay for it, I'm not risking homelessness to satisfy some teacher or school's whim!
At least you have a choice. So far... I'm on that road myself. I'm employed, make decent money, and have a decent insurance (by the standards...), but I got seriously ill. Even if I have no life whatsoever anymore as far any discretionary spending goes and pinch every penny in order to drop or anticipate dropping in the future thousands of dollars in the lap of the medical mafia, chances are I won't be able to keep up some day. Just recently, the same hospital I was in 15 months ago for 4 days for the same service billed the same amount for 2 days this time. I was told "rates change"... as in "double" in 15 months! My salary certainly hasn't. In the meantime I'll have to figure a way to somehow end up dead before I end up bankrupt and/or homeless because the latter scares me more.

And the most ironic part is I wasn't unfortunate enough to be born here. I bought into this scam in the pre-Internet era and happily insisted on bringing my stupid head here!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:00 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
Wait, I thought you said her job was being outsourced to India? If she was trying to be a teacher, she must have not been qualified for the position. Which leads me to my next lesson: never leave a job until you have an offer for another. She obviously didn't have a confirmed offer for the position otherwise she would have been able to sue the school she was "supposed" to work for.
I am saying a lot of office jobs have been outsourced to India. Also, teaching is now becoming a virtual thing. If you want or need to blame "someone," either blame the outsourcers or the college sales liars who say teaching jobs will always be in demand!

BTW, I never got an answer to my question (not necessarily from you). Just how much is "enough" to fall back on?

Oh, and re: never leave your job unless you have another one? It depends on whether you are on the chopping block or not. I would certainly rather quit than get fired (and I don't mean laid off).

Old 01-13-2011, 03:52 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I am saying a lot of office jobs have been outsourced to India. Also, teaching is now becoming a virtual thing. If you want or need to blame "someone," either blame the outsourcers or the college sales liars who say teaching jobs will always be in demand!

BTW, I never got an answer to my question (not necessarily from you). Just how much is "enough" to fall back on?

Oh, and re: never leave your job unless you have another one? It depends on whether you are on the chopping block or not. I would certainly rather quit than get fired (and I don't mean laid off).
Actually, you said
Quote:
had her job not been outsourced to India
Post 17.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Actually, you said

Post 17.
When I said "her job" I meant her job collectively.

Bottom line, why do Americans persist in bashing their fellow Americans (and no one on this board is in the elite category who has benefited from this offshoring) and not those who outsource instead?

It's almost like cannibalistic.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:09 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
'Her job, collectively'??
WTH does that even mean?

Good gravy

Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
'Her job, collectively'??
WTH does that even mean?

Good gravy
It means admin jobs were a dime a dollar back in the day. I could get one, no problema. Now, you barely see them anymore. Somehow, some way, either the execs are doing their own thing, hiring temps here and there, or outsourcing this stuff.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
No, you blame who is to blame - which is yourself. It seems as if peer pressure got to you. Your initial gut reaction was to not take the job and yet you did after they "convinced" you to do so. So you left a year later, on your own terms. I only feel sorry for the people who had been with companies for more than 5 years who never saw a layoff coming. Those I can empathize with. Not the ones who just quit b/c they didn't like it. I mean, seriously? Who actually likes getting up at the same time doing the same damn thing everyday?
Oh, somehow I missed this post. Geez, you'd never know we voted for the same guy. Someone is demonstrating compassion here and someone is not.

Look, I didn't sign up to be a pack mule horse. I didn't sign up to do 12 hour days pay for 8 hours when it would have meant walking to a dark parking lot at night.

I didn't sign up for a stupid termination policy for not meeting a quota (in social services!!)

Anyway, it's really none of your business and you've no place to judge. I collected no unemployment. No one ever answered my question "how much is enough?" I have enough to live on for five years. I would hope that would have been "enough" to take the risk to get a better job. And I don't have kids to support. And my house is paid for.

Oh, and btw, I get up early each week to VOLUNTEER my time twice weekly. Can you say the same? And I do the same damn thing every week and it does get boring, only I do it for free.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:45 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quick quick, she tried to follow her dream and a recession happened... vilify her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies