Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
BS. I happen to live in an affluent community. A physician ran over his two year old in the driveway in this community. He ended up homeless.
What does that have to do with anything?

You cannot stop bad things from happening.

Again, nobody promised you a rose garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 09:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
BS. I happen to live in an affluent community. A physician ran over his two year old in the driveway in this community. He ended up homeless.
This is the whole deal with you. You're full of subjective experiences but you don't seem to understand that for every one of your failure stories, there are success stories along the same parallel.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:51 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Wrong! Many people are victims of circumstance and not choice. Guess what? There is not always an alternative to homelessness. There, but for the grace of God, go you or I.
You are correct.

However, who can protect the populace from everything?

Normal, mentally stable people do not become homeless. They downsize. They start over.

I know people who have gone from the penthouse to the ****house and back again. They do not become homeless.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

I hope you can humble yourself enough to wonder what you would do if you suddenly lost your job in this economy and had no family to fall back on. Who would make your rent or house payment so that you would not become homeless?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times
Quote:

As has been NOTED, there but for the grace of God, go YOU!

Look, I learned from my volunteering at a homeless shelter that all it takes is one bad decision and YOU TOO can be there. Damn, I get so tired of typing this, but no one gets it.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:53 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Wrong! Many people are victims of circumstance and not choice. Guess what? There is not always an alternative to homelessness. There, but for the grace of God, go you or I.
But this woman was not.
She made a stupid and irresponsible decision.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:56 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This is the whole deal with you. You're full of subjective experiences but you don't seem to understand that for every one of your failure stories, there are success stories along the same parallel.
What I try to point out to you is that, yes, even you, are not infallible.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
As has been NOTED, there but for the grace of God, go YOU!

Look, I learned from my volunteering at a homeless shelter that all it takes is one bad decision and YOU TOO can be there. Damn, I get so tired of typing this, but no one gets it.
I've done my time working...not as a volunteer, by the way...with the homeless.

It's never just one bad decision. It's a series of them.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
What I try to point out to you is that, yes, even you, are not infallible.
I'm sure that you wish that were the truth. But my personal safety nets are well in order.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
Quote:
You are correct.

However, who can protect the populace from everything?

Normal, mentally stable people do not become homeless. They downsize. They start over.

I know people who have gone from the penthouse to the ****house and back again. They do not become homeless.
They downsize?! How much more downsized can you be than from humble abode to homeless? When you have no work as a self employed person, you have no money. I can assure you that mentally stable, responsible, people become homeless in this horrific economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies