Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't see how it could resemble a third world nation as long as its a part of the United States. Third world nations don't have social safety nets like we have.

Regarding the story about cruise lines, it sounds like the main reason the cruise ships are leaving is because people are afraid to go to Mexico.
But California is doing all it can to entice those fleeing Mexico or coming for the welfare handouts to come to California.

California wants to be a third world nation but with the safety nets of the USA - because face it - federal grants, Medicaid, SSI, and SSDI are all money makers for a state that doesn't care for a middle class which it drives off with high taxes.

California might be doing great right now as it expects federal bailouts and the federal poverty money to keep pouring in but imagine if there are any cuts made at some point in time. Imagine if the federal government has to cut back on the food stamp program, or Medicaid, or government housing programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 AM

352 posts, read 187,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Cruise lines flee Southern California ports

Cruise lines flee California ports - Travel - News - msnbc.com

The Elation went to Alabama last spring, and Australia gets the Carnival Spirit, Florida gets the Norwegian Star, Texas gets the Mariner of the Seas.

Thank you, California — Texas lures new companies

Thank you, California — Texas lures new companies | Houston Business Journal

Any estimates or conjecture on what California will look like in 20 years?

Could the State of California likely be the first State in the Union to resemble a 3rd world nation?
As a resident of California, I both resent and agree that it will looke like a 3rd World Country - at its own doing, I might add.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But California is doing all it can to entice those fleeing Mexico or coming for the welfare handouts to come to California.

California wants to be a third world nation but with the safety nets of the USA - because face it - federal grants, Medicaid, SSI, and SSDI are all money makers for a state that doesn't care for a middle class which it drives off with high taxes.

California might be doing great right now as it expects federal bailouts and the federal poverty money to keep pouring in but imagine if there are any cuts made at some point in time. Imagine if the federal government has to cut back on the food stamp program, or Medicaid, or government housing programs.

I doubt that the voters actually go to the polling places during elections and referendum's thinking, "I WANT my state to implode, so I'm voting for whatever helps its demise."

Don't you?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
It'll look just like it does today.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I doubt that the voters actually go to the polling places during elections and referendum's thinking, "I WANT my state to implode, so I'm voting for whatever helps its demise."

Don't you?
But you keep voting for politicians who want to destroy the taxpayers and also want to ensure the open borders remain open and hope for federal grants to continue pouring in to pay for them.

Someone has to pay for all those maternity beds set up for illegals coming here for an easy ride and back door around immigration laws and onto welfare programs. All those poverty programs for the illegals bring in federal dollars.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:40 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But you keep voting for politicians who want to destroy the taxpayers and also want to ensure the open borders remain open and hope for federal grants to continue pouring in to pay for them.

Someone has to pay for all those maternity beds set up for illegals coming here for an easy ride and back door around immigration laws and onto welfare programs. All those poverty programs for the illegals bring in federal dollars.

Whatever their motivation, it's still THEIR CHOICE to make, not yours and not mine. The People of California are smart enough to direct their own future, whether we like what they're doing or not.

Criticizing their choices from afar accomplishes exactly what, beyond making ourselves feel superior?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,080 times
A 3rd world country - and they will get everything they deserve and more.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Whatever their motivation, it's still THEIR CHOICE to make, not yours and not mine. The People of California are smart enough to direct their own future, whether we like what they're doing or not.

Criticizing their choices from afar accomplishes exactly what, beyond making ourselves feel superior?
As long as they stop expecting a bailout by the rest of the country and are willing to face some cuts in spending by the federal government.

I don't think they're too smart however - considering how California not long ago was considered a top-notch state with good paying jobs, great climate, and excellent schools. Look how fast it's declined and the middle class is fleeing while the third world pours into California expecting it's free health care, free educations, free housing and food stamps.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:01 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nice attitude towards your fellow Americans... with that kind of vitriol towards us, I sometimes DO wish we'd float off towards Hawaii. Good riddance.
Chill. It's a joke. I've lived in CA, my sister lives there.
We love you guys

Old 01-14-2011, 08:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
The better question here is "what do you WANT California to look like in 20 years!"

If you're a Conservative or Republican who is not from California, you likely WANT and HOPE that California is a failure, a dump, and a place that resembles Bulgaria. Why? Because it's more important that your political leanings and beliefs play themselves out than it is to see that one of our largest states be a success story, which benefits the whole country. Cali is a breadbasket, and an economic powerhouse....not to mention that a tremendous number of our fellow citizens live there. If it fails, the whole country feels that ripple effect.

I don't want Mississippi to fail (although i hate it like a Christian hates Satan), but if it does, it doesn't matter very much to the rest of the country economically. That is not the case for California. We'd all better be hoping that they succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies