Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:28 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
You posted this link.....Everyone can go look at post #84 in this thread...I did not mess with your link...It even states Washington DC....

If you will read my post....I Never said anything about you...YOU jumped into my post that was about Finn....Never said anything about you....but yet you throw in your what you fell is needed...and you were wrong....

Quote:
You know all I tried to do was post a link to some facts concerning DC and you come into the thread obviously not reading all the posts and post an attitude problem.

The one I posted in #84 gets me to this Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Washington,_D.C

Crime in Washington, D.C
Again, it say Washington DC in your OWN link....

again
Quote:
Quote:
Don't know what your problem is.....
you not posting links...

Quote:
-OR- As I asked you, post YOUR personally approved statistics and facts....
I did, post #4 and #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Gun Control

A lot to read but well worth it....
Quote:
This thread was SUPPOSED to be about Rachel Maddow and her take on guns.... NOT Washington DC so don't really care what you are trying to prove with this Washington DC thing...
It's what you posted!

Quote:
Bye bye flamer
You have to be a leftie...you have been proven wrong by and in your own posts.....and then the name calling....Way to go...!!

Your link still brings me to nothing....it is the exact same thing I posted before....and your link even say Washington DC.

Good bye....leftie....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
It does beg the question: With an abundance of guns in Arizona, why didn't other gun carriers stop this tragedy before it unfolded? Surely the gun lobbyists could not have been advocating something that doesn't hold water in the real world all this time?
People have free will. The gun lobby does not force people to go out and purchase firearms to protect themselves or their families. THere was no one there at the event at the time who was carrying and chose to take action; only the guy who ran to the parkinglot from Walgreens when he heard the shots.

You cannot analize an entire national trend of violent crime reduction by one incident in which the goblin was successful in his goal.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Don't most/all states that allow CCWs have testing and training requirements in order to obtain said permit?
No. MS does not. I passed a background check and my CCW was mailed to me. WA and OR don't require a live fire test. VA's hunter education course is all that is required. They also allow open carry without any permit.

AR and TN both require a few hours in the classroom and a simple proficiency test. If my mother-in-law can pass the live fire then most any person that is partially mobile could do it.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
I left feedback to the webmaster on their oversight.... Another person who complains about inaccurate data on the web and does nothing about it.

I remember reading (don't remember the URL off the top of my head) that Australia's crime rate went up after the government confiscated the guns from it's citizens...

What was stated as fact by the poster I replied to? Japan had the lowest crime rate....

The URL I posted DID have statistics for that....

Just gotta complain over something huh? Maybe the kiwi's have it right about people from oz.....
either you provided a link to inaccurate data, or it is correct and Australia's crime rate per capita is infinitely less then the USA.

Actually there are reports that after the gun buy-back scheme (where semi-automatic and other weapons had to be handed in - not all. I.e. Farmers with a legitimate requirement to have a gun are exempt) crime by guns have reduced.

What history has shown is, since the horror of Port Arthur, over a decade ago there hasn't been another mass shooting in Australia.

Wow you extrapolate my comment as a complaint.
Interesting

Old 01-14-2011, 10:57 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
There have been crimes with guns,even the short time we were over there in WA there were several reports of illegal guns being used.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:01 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times
It is not the firearms but the mind set in the USA which is the biggest problem.
Of course all those han guns do not help one bit.
But when you have your NRA shouting that owning a firearm is an absolute right you are going to have trouble.

The mentally ill getting firearms in the USA, no problem.
We have a lot of full bore hunting rifles but cart one down to a political meeting, if lucky the hard mob will give you five seconds to drop it.

You need Glocks against the tyranny of the US marines, sorry but people who state that have never seen Marine firepower in use

Old 01-15-2011, 03:42 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
It is not the firearms but the mind set in the USA which is the biggest problem.
Of course all those han guns do not help one bit.
But when you have your NRA shouting that owning a firearm is an absolute right you are going to have trouble.

The mentally ill getting firearms in the USA, no problem.
We have a lot of full bore hunting rifles but cart one down to a political meeting, if lucky the hard mob will give you five seconds to drop it.

You need Glocks against the tyranny of the US marines, sorry but people who state that have never seen Marine firepower in use
Confused about your Marines comment. By the way, if the citizens revolted against the government (which I do NOT think will ever happen), then what makes you think the Marine would be on the side of the Federal gov't?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:05 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
either you provided a link to inaccurate data, or it is correct and Australia's crime rate per capita is infinitely less then the USA.

Actually there are reports that after the gun buy-back scheme (where semi-automatic and other weapons had to be handed in - not all. I.e. Farmers with a legitimate requirement to have a gun are exempt) crime by guns have reduced.

What history has shown is, since the horror of Port Arthur, over a decade ago there hasn't been another mass shooting in Australia.

Wow you extrapolate my comment as a complaint.
Interesting
Crime up Down Under

Countrywide, homicides are up 3.2 percent;
Assaults are up 8.6 percent;
Amazingly, armed robberies have climbed nearly 45 percent;
In the Australian state of Victoria, gun homicides have climbed 300 percent;
In the 25 years before the gun bans, crime in Australia had been dropping steadily;
There has been a reported "dramatic increase" in home burglaries and assaults on the elderly

Crime stats:
11,877,218 Total crime in the US
307,000,000 population
US Rate: 0.038688006514658

1,014,247 total crime in Australia
21,828,704 total population
Australia Rate: 0.0464639128369692

Old 01-15-2011, 04:24 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Arizona has the most guns per capita, and they also have the most gun crime per capita.
Gun violence in the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You didn't research this at all before making that post, did you?

Arizona is actually in ninth place behind stricter gun control states like Maryland, California, and Illinois. Last place on the list is New Hampshire which has no state restrictions on gun ownership (other than convicted felons) and easy right to carry licensing. Your argument is absurdly unsupportable.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:40 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK
It does beg the question: With an abundance of guns in Arizona, why didn't other gun carriers stop this tragedy before it unfolded? Surely the gun lobbyists could not have been advocating something that doesn't hold water in the real world all this time?
It (reportedly) took only nine seconds to empty that magazine into all of those people. There was in fact a man there carrying a legal concealed pistol who helped restrain Loughner. In a crowd of people and amidst panic it's hard to get a clean shot off without hitting innocent bystanders. He probably made the right call. Thank God the shooter's magazine jammed when he reloaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies