Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:49 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Taking a small town as an example is not very representative.

But probably much more accurate than most studies and polls done today. No slanted questions in a real life experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 10:52 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,980,454 times
I would urge you all to follow the link given by chucksnee (Kudos to him for posting it!)

From what I can tell it looks to be completely unbiased and very informative:

Gun Control

Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Wow. What an intellectually dishonest piece by Ms. Maddow! Talk about your tripe:

1) The armed CCW holder was not a witness to the incident, he was at the Walgreens and arrived on the scene after the assalilant had been restrained.

2) "The person he almost shot was the hero who wrestled the gun away". A frigg'n lie. The man never even unholstered his weapon, a far cry from "almost shot". Has this liberal talkinghead no shame?

Why is it that liberals keep arguing in case after case that correlation equals causation when it does not! Don't believe me look at the CDC reports and the FBI reports side by side Ms. Maddow (y'all can do your own homework because I'm not going to spoon feed you).

The facts do not support Ms. Maddows assertions, period. She should look at the actual facts sometimes instead of just parroting Brady Campaign anti-gun talking points with rabid ferver.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:57 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Does it matter? The point is that the "gun in every hand" scenario in Arizona has done nothing to reduce gun crime.
Did anyone at that Safeway have a gun, besides the
shooter?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:58 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
AZ may be an exception because of other factors it has to deal with (illegals, drugs, etc). But right after several states enacted the concealed carry (Miami, Texas), crime was noted to decrease almost immediately.
So, are you saying that guns are effective in reducing crime unless there are illegals and drugs involved?

PS I can assure you there are plenty of illegals and drugs in Miami too. It was not the CCW law which brought the crime down here, but the end of the cocaine wars.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Maddow did a brilliant show last night and proved her point as usual...

Rachel Maddow: More Guns Does Not Equal Less Crime | Video Cafe
Guns are not the answer or the problem, people are. And if we would have had one less mentally ill person walking the streets of Tucson....

Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,980,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
shooter?

Yes, there was a story and some debate here on C-D about a man that drew his pistol but held fire.... luckily because he'd drawn a bead on someone who wasn't the shooter.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
shooter?
In the begining some sources said that there were others with guns, but after that I didn't hear much more about it. Are you saying no one else had a gun? How do you know?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:05 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, are you saying that guns are effective in reducing crime unless there are illegals and drugs involved?

PS I can assure you there are plenty of illegals and drugs in Miami too. It was not the CCW law which brought the crime down, but the end of the cocaine war.
People who engage in criminal activity shoot and kill people, and rob people, deal drugs, rape, assault and any number of terrible acts. It's already against the law to shoot someone with a firearm, making new laws will not be effective against people who will simply break those laws, along with the other laws we try to write.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
People who engage in criminal activity shoot and kill people, and rob people, deal drugs, rape, assault and any number of terrible acts. It's already against the law to shoot someone with a firearm, making new laws will not be effective against people who will simply break those laws, along with the other laws we try to write.
That is not what I am saying. I am simply saying that the claim that higher gun ownership would somehow reduce crime is nonsense. The states with high gun crime are also those states with high gun ownership.

I own guns and have CC permit, but that does not make me into a police officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies