Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:17 PM

59,185 posts, read 27,388,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Taking a small town as an example is not very representative.
How about Wash. DC? You know, the murder capital of the U.S with the strictist gun laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 12:28 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,027,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, to protect myself, but it does not make me a police officer. I am all for people's right to carry, but I think there should be a mandatory qualification course just like there is to get a driver licence. The course could also be used as an opportunity to weed out the mentaly unstable people from getting a licence.
It's a responsible thing to do; take a gun course if you are
not familiar with guns. But, if your thinking a course is going to weed out mentally unstable people I think you will be sadly disappointed. How many times, have we heard about
a shooting crime, and no one knew the "shooter" had a mental problem, was a time bomb etc...

Old 01-14-2011, 12:29 PM

59,185 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
Only wimps need guns. Thats my opinion. I walk around unarmed and nothing ever happened to me. If you live in such fear that you need a firearm then you might as well be dead. A life of fear is a life not worth living.

Because the population is probably 100 and they're all most likely related.

I kid! I kid!
Maybe you should read this on a regular basis:
Home*|*The Armed Citizen

Old 01-14-2011, 12:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times
Cool Teddy Roosevelt & Eleanor Roosevelt believed in the right to carry....

A Chance to Fight Back - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

Quote:
When President William McKinley was assassinated by an anarchist, he was succeeded by Theodore Roosevelt. The new president promptly started carrying a semiautomatic Fabrique Nationale pistol for protection at public events, and keeping it on his bedside table at night. “I should have a chance of shooting the assassin before he could shoot me, if he were near me,†Roosevelt explained....

Old 01-14-2011, 01:09 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times
Default and then there is this from the real author

of "More guns, Less Crime".

The Case for Arming Yourself - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

Quote:
As in other states, those legally carrying concealed handguns have been extremely responsible. There were 99,370 active permits in Arizona as of Dec. 1, 2007. During 2007, 33 permits were revoked for any reason — a 0.03% rate — cases that did not involve using the gun to harm others. Gun control groups claim that permit holders are dangerous, but they count defensive gun uses as bad killings.

I think my work in this thread is just about done. Ms. Maddow does not have the facts on her side and neither does the OP.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:23 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,403,309 times
Quote:
Yes, to protect myself, but it does not make me a police officer. I am all for people's right to carry, but I think there should be a mandatory qualification course just like there is to get a driver licence. The course could also be used as an opportunity to weed out the mentaly unstable people from getting a licence.
Don't most/all states that allow CCWs have testing and training requirements in order to obtain said permit? I know the two states I have lived in both do.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:26 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,985,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
But, if your thinking a course is going to weed out mentally unstable people I think you will be sadly disappointed. How many times, have we heard about
a shooting crime, and no one knew the "shooter" had a mental problem, was a time bomb etc...
Of course, there's nothing to stop a mentally unbalanced person from driving their car into a crowd of people either. For that matter, they could use a knife or hammer to kill someone.

It's always sad to hear of those cases and I do not want to minimalize them.

BUT...for all the millions of people who own guns in the USA, the percentage of them who are mentally unbalanced and commit these horrible crimes is very, very small in comparison.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:47 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,637,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
Only wimps need guns. Thats my opinion. I walk around unarmed and nothing ever happened to me. If you live in such fear that you need a firearm then you might as well be dead. A life of fear is a life not worth living.
Don't wear your seatbelt. Don't look both ways before you cross the street. Don't seek shelter in heavy lightning. Don't wanna let fear dictate anything, right?

Old 01-14-2011, 02:00 PM

33,566 posts, read 37,172,616 times
Japan has the strictest gun control laws in the developed world, and the lowest crime rate...What does that tell you? It tells me that there is direct link.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,886,336 times
Quote:
In your listed state,you DO have to qualify....

Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies