Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:08 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times

Advertisements

[quote=Mightyqueen801;17432780]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Won't argue with that one.
Quote:

I take that back. I see NYChistorygal has arrived.
Maybe you or the history gal can dig up a Youtube capture of the reports and favor this forum with them.

That would be cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 11:19 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
[quote=ergohead;17432819]
Quote:
[i][b]

Maybe you or the history gal can dig up a Youtube capture of the reports and favor this forum with them.

That would be cool!
Not necessary. Millions of people watched the Salomon Brothers building come down live on TV that day after hours of hearing that it was expected to collapse. Truthers trying to persuade people that it didn't happen that way isn't going to change that fact. As someone pointed out, the alternate reality is a religion to some, and nothing is going to convince them any more than you can convince some people that it's not possible to walk on water.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:23 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Isn't this fun? We haven't had a city-data truther thread in oh, six weeks or so now, so we were about due for someone to start one. And hey, it looks as if there are two!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:29 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
[quote=Mightyqueen801;17432926]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post

Not necessary. Millions of people watched the Salomon Brothers building come down live on TV that day after hours of hearing that it was expected to collapse. Truthers trying to persuade people that it didn't happen that way isn't going to change that fact. As someone pointed out, the alternate reality is a religion to some, and nothing is going to convince them any more than you can convince some people that it's not possible to walk on water.
Yeah, you were all told it was expected to collapse after Silverstein gave the green light signal, "Pull it".

After he said that, everyone was told to expect a collapse, and it got reported.

Jewish lightning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYdAJQV100

Old 01-16-2011, 12:02 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Won't argue with that one.

Some of it is likely geographical. I suspect that outside the NY metro area, television coverage went back to Oprah or whatever else was on by the end of the day.

I've seen some weird statements over the years that made me realize that what we saw in the news was not shown in the rest of country. The WTC site coverage was on here 24/7 for months. For example, in the aftermath, there was the coverage of all the trucks hauling the debris off the site through the Holland Tunnel, which was closed to all other traffic, and being brought to the Fresh Kills landfill on Staten Island, where these tent facilities were set up with conveyor-belt operations going to sort through everything by hand. I was also working out of an office where people were coming in from the WTC site every day, and I knew people working at Fresh Kills. Then, after a month or so, they started hauling out the steel and debris on barges down the river to Fresh Kills because they could move larger loads faster that way. This was covered blow-by-blow, daily. It took nine months to remove it all. Yet I see people on threads like this who believe that the steel was speedily whisked away without being looked at and sold off overseas. And a lot of people who seem kind of blank when Fresh Kills is even mentioned.

In the first days, before they reopened Fresh Kills for the purpose of hauling the debris there, they had the contractors take the steel to some local scrap-metal yards. I believe that's where the "steel was all sold off quickly for scrap" urban legends come from.

Anyway, my point is that part of the problem seems to be that people outside the NY area missed a lot of information that was out there at the time it was happening and then came up with these alternate reality stories a few years down the road. If you peruse those truther sites, you'll see a lot of bizarre comments like, "Do you realize that a third tower came down that day?" Most of us have the reaction, "Who DIDN'T know that?" It was never a secret--it happened live on TV.
Very true. We lived it every second of every day. I live on Staten Island. My ex-husband worked at Fresh Kills sorting the steel and recovering belongings.

Part of my job at the PR firm was monitoring newspapers for our clients. I'll never forget that everyday the New York Daily News had a small section at the bottom of page 2 with the number of body parts that had been recovered the day before. Not bodies so much - although occasionally a whole one was found - body parts. I couldn't help but wonder if any of them were from people I knew. It was so bizarre how this became part of my daily life.

Every local news report had something about it, everyday. I think that went on for over a year. Even today, it's 'normal' to read something 9/11 on any given day.

I'd see the trucks loaded with burned cars and sections of deformed steel when walking off the Ferry. I'll never forget the smell of the fires.

Maybe that is all part of the problem. People outside this area didn't get the proper information, so they are latching onto the crappy theories.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
And what happened to the 64 passengers on that "supposed" plane? Vanished into thin air? One of the passengers was conservative author Barbara Olson... where is she? Does her husband know where she is?
She never existed in the first place. It is all in our heads!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I don't know. But can you see why we need a new investigation?

Planes just don't vanish? Do you have a better reply?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
She never existed in the first place. It is all in our heads!
Crazy, aint it?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:41 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
On this thread, no one but you heard that report.
I heard it too.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:50 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I heard it too.
And anyone else with a TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies