Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:38 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Not me, personally, but others. It was made very clear that this was the consequence of even talking about it, let alone meeting about it. I have no doubt that companies that focus on employees as assets fare better at employee retention and overall satisfaction than those that don't. However, the converse is not necessarily true. Many large corporations have "unfair" employee practices, yet manage to maintain their huge success. From here: Up Front: The Employee Free Choice Act - Column - Walls and Ceilings Which is your right and I fully support. I'm sorry to hear that happened to your father. And good on him for being honorable to those employees who did want to try to unionize. I have to agree with this. Our grocery workers decided to strike because they wanted to maintain the benefit of paying ZERO out-of-pocket towards their health insurance premiums, when the industry standard was to have some degree of employee participation. The corporation was asking the union to have their members pay as little as FIFTEEN DOLLARS a month and they refused.

I was vehemently opposed to that particular stance and crossed the picket lines to make my position known.

Although unions have a history of being the ones to set the standards for acceptable workplace conditions and employee benefits that non-unionized industry has had to follow suit with in order to remain competitive, there are, indeed, times when the union should conform to non-unionized industry standards, as well, particularly when those concessions aren't detrimental to employees' standards of working or living. No one here has a hatred of the average American worker. And no one here has a hatred of liberty. This kind of unfounded accusation isn't conducive to productive conversation. Our president has asked us to take it up a notch. Can we at least try? Everyone?
I cannot negate your personal experience as that is yours alone. If a union would have improved conditions in this company, then perhaps that's the way that your employees should go/have gone. I do still feel that those types of companies, while making profits today, will have to change their ways if they want to survive as we surge forward with even more employee centered corporate cultures.

However, unions on the whole have been detrimental to industry and I stand by that claim. Thanks for the link but I really wished the author had put it into a time period context - I hate it when they do that!

So, I understand your situation but would an amendment affirming the right to secret ballots have been detrimental? It would seem, based upon what you said, that the initial petition is causing the most retribution to the employees when companies choose that route to fight unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 12:45 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not by a long shot!

OSHA can set minimum standards, and OSHA can make periodic inspections, and while theoretically under the law an employee can refuse to work in a unsafe environment good luck trying to do it. With union representation, an unsafe job can be shut down right there on the spot, no need for a single worker to sticker their neck out, because that is the job of either the union rep on the jobsite or a member of labor management safety committee.
Or the state labor dept. I've worked for unions and they did squat. You still have to work but you "do it under protest". Day after day after day, union did NOTHING!!!!! Thats one of the many reasons I will never work for one again.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:55 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

"Many large corporations have "unfair" employee practices".

Please give names and details.
Do you really doubt that statement? If it were untrue, would we need attorneys to litigate things like:

• Misclassification of employees as exempt or as independent contractors
  • Failure to pay otherwise exempt employees on a salary basis
  • "Off-the-clock" and regular rate cases
  • Denied reimbursements
  • Miscalculated commissions and bonuses
  • Tip pooling
Do you really not believe corporations practice:
  • Age discrimination
  • Race discrimination
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Wrongful Termination
  • Denial of Medical Leave

What do you believe is the need for, and role of, government agencies like the Equal Employment Opportunity Department, the Department of Labor?

Do you believe that just because laws exist, that all corporations abide by them?

Do you believe that just because there isn't a law against certain practices, that those practices might still be unfair?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post

Those standards are now set by OSHA. Problem solved.
Not so, and not so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post

As for the civility issue I was responding tongue in cheek to the previous post you quoted. But still no promises.
That's too bad.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Do you really doubt that statement? If it were untrue, would we need attorneys to litigate things like:

• Denied reimbursements
  • Tip pooling
  • Age discrimination
  • Race discrimination
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Wrongful Termination

What do you believe is the need for, and role of, government agencies like the Equal Employment Opportunity Department, the Department of Labor?

Do you believe that just because laws exist, that all corporations abide by them?

Do you believe that just because there isn't a law against certain practices, that those practices might still be unfair? Not so, and not so. That's too bad.
And you think that doesn't go on WITH unions ??

My father had 5 kids to feed and went to work during a strike. When the strike was over he was "transferred" from a nice spot in Penn Station to a sh*thole in Philadelphia for 3 years until he retired...third shift no less. So yeah..unions are all about "the workers"...NOT.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:58 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That's not what he(?) said at all. Go back and reread. Since you were on this whole "they're people" kick, he said that Nazis are people and we speak out against them. You made a claim that we shouldn't speak against unions because they're "people". It was an analogy.
My point , which the Hate My Fellow American people will deliberately not get, is that they say so many rotten things about unions as if they don't realize:

A. Unions are made up of our fellow Americans, average working Americans who are trying to get ahead and provide for their families, THEY are not corrupt!. If they have done better than some because they belong to a union certain people in here express hatred for them.

B. If union members take responsibility and become involved in the union activities they can control the leaders...keep everyone in line.

C. There is NO control of corruption in corporations, it is actually encouraged, and rewarded. But that's whose side you're on.....

Old 01-16-2011, 12:58 PM

[ Not so, and not so. That's too bad.[/quote]

Um pretty sure OSHA sets the standard for workplace safety.

Oh and shrugs.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:01 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Southwest Airlines is arguably the most unionized airline in the U.S., and it hasn't had a financial loss since 1972.

Southwest Airlines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Southwest Airlines avoids annual loss, earns $99M for 2009 | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Dallas Business News

Some of you are really simple-minded when it comes to unions. The world isn't black and white. There are both advantages and disadvantages to labor unions.
And the advantages are: < What? >

Old 01-16-2011, 03:07 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And you think that doesn't go on WITH unions ??

My father had 5 kids to feed and went to work during a strike. When the strike was over he was "transferred" from a nice spot in Penn Station to a sh*thole in Philadelphia for 3 years until he retired...third shift no less. So yeah..unions are all about "the workers"...NOT.
Unions are all about the collective power that membership brings and the $$ that membership brings. If they cared about the workers they would not be so greedy as to negotiate contract that drive businesses out of the US or cause the company to shut its doors.

This "us vs. the owner" mentality of unions is very 19th century. Government regulations have largely answered the fair wage and safety concerns over which unions were created.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:00 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:

• Denied reimbursements
  • Tip pooling
  • Age discrimination
  • Race discrimination
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Wrongful Termination

Do you believe that just because there isn't a law against certain practices, that those practices might still be unfair? Not so, and not so. That's too bad.
Don't get so excited. I asked , please.

I don't see where any of the items you listed are even union issues per se.

We do have age and race discrimination, etc. laws.

I have belonged to a union, even being a union steward. I have worked for non-union companies.

There are good and bad unions just as there are good and bad companies.

Non government union participation has been declining for years, (long before NAFTA). Why do you think that is?

Old 01-16-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
My point , which the Hate My Fellow American people will deliberately not get, is that they say so many rotten things about unions as if they don't realize:

A. Unions are made up of our fellow Americans, average working Americans who are trying to get ahead and provide for their families, THEY are not corrupt!. If they have done better than some because they belong to a union certain people in here express hatred for them.

B. If union members take responsibility and become involved in the union activities they can control the leaders...keep everyone in line.

C. There is NO control of corruption in corporations, it is actually encouraged, and rewarded. But that's whose side you're on.....
A. Taxpayers, you know the people who pay the muni-union workers salaries, are made up of average working Americans who are trying to get ahead. The muni-union workers are "doing better" on the backs of taxpayers. They don't care how high they drive up their "fellow Americans" taxes, they want what they want and if they don't get it they aren't picking up the trash. Sounds like they are shafting average working Americans.

C. Are you saying that the union controls corruption? The unions are like the mob, thats why they get along so well with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies