Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:11 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,320,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
EVERYONE must take a bite of this turd sandwich called the national debt. Every facet of government spending, including the military as well as social programs, must be cut if we are to survive as a nation. To do nothing will ensure insolvency and the economic and political chaos that will occur as a result.
I've long purposed they should start with a 10% across the board federal spending cut. Every program, facility, and federal employee gets 10% across the board cut, nothing is spared.

Then repeal the Bush tax cuts for those making over 1,000,000 dollars (every economist, not some, everyone agrees that that tax cut does the economy 0 good).

Then argue for your program, why its needed, why its funding needs to be raised from the 10% mark, and why another program should be cut or taxes should be raised to pay for it. Tax increases should be 100% increase for every American. If the spending you purpose increases the federal budget by .05%, then everyones taxes goes up by .05%.

That would get our budget under control, cut out needless programs, and everyone would have to eat the proverbial "turd sandwich"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 12:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,948,035 times
"Mandate: CBS poll - 77% Prefer Spending Cuts over Tax Increases"

Duh...

The prefer spending cuts until:

• They discover a toxic waste dump under their kid's schools playground.

They find out that the special Ed program for their autistic child gets cut.

They find out that their flight to granny's is delayed or canceled due to breakdowns in the air traffic control system, or worse.

They find out that the bridge that they need to drive over to get to work in on the verge of collapse.

They find out that the research on the rare disease that little Johnny or Susie runs out of funding.

They are struck by one of those 100 year floods that seem to come sooner than every 100 years.

They find out that their wrongful death lawsuit is delayed for years for lack of funding for the federal courts.

They find out that the local military base is slated for closing along with their civilian jobs.

They find out that the block grants to improve their local business district lacks funds.

They find out that due to a lack of inspections the local chemical plant has an explosion exposing them to toxic fumes.

They find out that it will take even longer to process veterans benefits due to cut backs in staffing.

Then it will be, I prefer increasing someone else's taxes rather than cut my program, as usual.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:07 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,877,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Poll: Americans Split on What to Cut from Government - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Most inherently know we cannot continue on the path of massive spending and debt we have seen the last few years.

What is hilarious in the reporting on this poll is the headline by CBS;

Is that REALLY the "news" of this poll?
But haven't You said we cannot trust anything the lefty news stations say?
It is what should be cut that really makes the difference and we know where the right will go first, and it will not be any of the Pork Repubs just approved in December. There is an entire thread asking what should be cut, I notice the ideas vary by a great deal.
Casper

Old 01-15-2011, 01:18 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,840,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I've long purposed they should start with a 10% across the board federal spending cut. Every program, facility, and federal employee gets 10% across the board cut, nothing is spared.
25%. 10% is peanuts.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Does not matter the donkeys still hold the veto and Senate.
The HOUSE controls the purse strings. The GOP has a definite mandate and if they want to cut funding by 10, 15, 20% across the board, I'd like to see obama and the Senate dems say they won't take up the bill and obama won't sign it - that should go over really well.

Obama and the dem Senate cannot FORCE the GOP house to include anything in the budget they don't want to include.

Obama/dems are now in a corner - the public wants spending cuts, the GOP will do the cutting and we will have obama and the dems obstructing what needs to be done.

Can you just imagine the spectacle of obama arguing for MORE spending at a time like this?

Once again, he is on the side against the will of the people.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:24 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,180,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
We should look back at a time when the government was solvent and see what government programs existed then and wipe out all those that have been added since.
Homeland security and the War? What else has changed in the last 10 years?

Old 01-15-2011, 01:30 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,320,215 times
Quote:
25%. 10% is peanuts.
I believe a 10% immediate reduction in all federal spending would balance the budget. I could be wrong on that number though.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,948,035 times
Quote:
the public wants spending cuts,
Until it cuts what they want.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I believe a 10% immediate reduction in all federal spending would balance the budget. I could be wrong on that number though.
Well, the GOP is closer to 20% I believe.

Without SS reform - means testing for the wealthy - which I don't know WHY hasn't been done before now - raising the retirement age, etc.

And then there is Medicare, that unsustainable, bloated, tens of TRILLIONS in liabilities entitlement program.

Defense also needs to be cut, at least 20%. They can live with what they lived with 3 years ago.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:39 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,180,974 times
Quote:
The HOUSE controls the purse strings. The GOP has a definite mandate and if they want to cut funding by 10, 15, 20% across the board, I'd like to see obama and the Senate dems say they won't take up the bill and obama won't sign it - that should go over really well.

Obama and the dem Senate cannot FORCE the GOP house to include anything in the budget they don't want to include.

Obama/dems are now in a corner - the public wants spending cuts, the GOP will do the cutting and we will have obama and the dems obstructing what needs to be done.

Can you just imagine the spectacle of obama arguing for MORE spending at a time like this?

Once again, he is on the side against the will of the people.
I think you're misreading the results of the election. This was an anti incumbent, "throw the bums out" election and the tea party won considerable seats, but they don't control the House--the mainline R's are in control. I'm sure the leadership will bluster and blow and threaten huge cuts, but at the end of the day they're not going to support them either, because the cuts you're proposing would throw the country into chaos, and they'd get the blame. Either that, or they'll do it knowing full well that the Senate can't responsibly pass it on through. They get the glory, knowing it will never happen. That's about as cynical (and dishonest) as it gets. Here's what you're missing--if that happens, the Dem's will counter with an explanation of what those cuts will mean to the average person, and it won't have to be a fabricated "death panel" argument. I think you're being penny wise and pound foolish to think the R's are going to win big points with the public for this once people understand what it actually means in their lives.

Others have said it here as well--people want spending cuts unless they figure out it's going to impact THEM, just as they're good with raising taxes on people who make more money than they do, as long as their own taxes are left alone. The poll you cited, and the additional poll I cited, back that up.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies