Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2011, 05:41 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times
Reputation: 5224

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, the GOP is closer to 20% I believe.

Without SS reform - means testing for the wealthy - which I don't know WHY hasn't been done before now - raising the retirement age, etc.

And then there is Medicare, that unsustainable, bloated, tens of TRILLIONS in liabilities entitlement program.

Defense also needs to be cut, at least 20%. They can live with what they lived with 3 years ago.
Means testing SS for the wealthy defies the very compact of SS as program meant for EVERYONE, not just the middle class. The wealthy also pay more than their fair share into the system, topped out to their first $94K/yr I think. The amt that they collect in payments is tied into the amt that they pay in, although at a lesser percentage than a wage earner who made less. They should immediately end entitlements for immigrants, both legal and illegal that have worked in this country for less than 25-30 years and no generous SSI benefits for them either or their American born children. The SS retirement age cannot be raised. There are already too many older ppl that can find or perform jobs due to age discrimination or their bodies simply falling apart or having to care for others in their families.

Obama is on the right track by limiting payments to the greedy Medicare Advantage cos. Let's continue that. Bush opened up a can of worms by expanding the Part D drug program, the biggest unfunded liability in Medicare's history. They should return this responsibility back to the States and the Medicare Advantage cos who did it before.

defense need to be cut, that's a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2011, 05:48 PM
 
9,887 posts, read 10,817,438 times
Reputation: 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Devils in the details.

Now, where to cut? The same 77% of Americans support Social Security in its current form, the same percentage supports medicare in its current form.

So where do we cut? The biggest pieces on the table are unemployment, welfare, and defense. Of those defense is the grossest out of proportion spending there.

But if you tell people you want to cut the defense budget by even 10%, Republicans largely freak out. They want to talk about welfare and unemployment, things that don't slow down the economy, things that keep people from going completely broke and turning to crime.

I'm all for spending cuts, but we've got to be incredibly smart about where we cut. "entitlements" can be reformed, but not cut, most Americans don't want that.
Across the board, it really isn't that difficult it just takes hinest people to do the right thing .....I do get a kick out of all those who were big supporters of the Trillion dollar health care bill saying , you have to cut entitlements. Hows about just stopping the bleeding first that would be a good place to start......NO NEW SPENDING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 05:55 PM
 
Location: it depends
6,369 posts, read 6,405,249 times
Reputation: 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Means testing SS for the wealthy defies the very compact of SS as program meant for EVERYONE, not just the middle class. The wealthy also pay more than their fair share into the system, topped out to their first $94K/yr I think. The amt that they collect in payments is tied into the amt that they pay in, although at a lesser percentage than a wage earner who made less. .
Means testing of SS would be a serious blow to our prosperity. Why would anyone save and invest, if it just meant that they screwed themselves out of SS? The productive already carry a full load of deadbeats on their backs and means testing SS would be the final nail in the coffin of individual initiative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Reputation: 8672
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Across the board, it really isn't that difficult it just takes hinest people to do the right thing .....I do get a kick out of all those who were big supporters of the Trillion dollar health care bill saying , you have to cut entitlements. Hows about just stopping the bleeding first that would be a good place to start......NO NEW SPENDING!
I've got no problem with no new spending. I wish Republicans would do that.

I wonder how much money is wasted on pointless legislation like the repeal they are going to vote on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 06:12 PM
 
31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Reputation: 15038
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Means testing of SS would be a serious blow to our prosperity. Why would anyone save and invest, if it just meant that they screwed themselves out of SS? The productive already carry a full load of deadbeats on their backs and means testing SS would be the final nail in the coffin of individual initiative.
While it is an interesting idea, needs testing social security, depending on where the cap was set it would hurt "prosperity" in the lest bit unless you think that folks like Steve Jobs, John Chambers and the like are going to kick back because they will lose $28,152.00 per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 07:00 PM
 
9,887 posts, read 10,817,438 times
Reputation: 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I've got no problem with no new spending. I wish Republicans would do that.

I wonder how much money is wasted on pointless legislation like the repeal they are going to vote on?
Boy that is a tough one ...how ever much it is I bet it is less than the 1trillion that they are trying to repeal. I guess I assumed you were ...........nevermind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 07:00 PM
 
Location: it depends
6,369 posts, read 6,405,249 times
Reputation: 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
While it is an interesting idea, needs testing social security, depending on where the cap was set it would hurt "prosperity" in the lest bit unless you think that folks like Steve Jobs, John Chambers and the like are going to kick back because they will lose $28,152.00 per year.
Ovcatto, if means testing only affected the Jobs and Chambers of the world, the money saved would be a rounding error. I'm concerned about the everyday millionaires who simply worked hard and saved money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 07:04 PM
 
5,719 posts, read 6,444,662 times
Reputation: 3647
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Poll: Americans Split on What to Cut from Government - Political Hotsheet - CBS News



Most inherently know we cannot continue on the path of massive spending and debt we have seen the last few years.

What is hilarious in the reporting on this poll is the headline by CBS;



Is that REALLY the "news" of this poll?
It's not the right time to raise taxes, but it is clear that the Bush tax cuts failed to stimulate the economy in the 2000s. Government tax revenue never went up, which it WOULD with a successful tax cut. They should be raised just as soon as we're out of the recession.

And obviously people prefer spending cuts to taxes. But then when it comes to asking what they want cut... do you not want the roads plowed? do you want less funding for your kid's school? do you want less defense spending? people suddenly start realizing they don't want spending cuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Reputation: 7118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I've got no problem with no new spending. I wish Republicans would do that.

I wonder how much money is wasted on pointless legislation like the repeal they are going to vote on?
Where ya been for the last 4 years?

Wasn't the republicans spending us into oblivion.

The dems and obama have a problem with no new spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Dallas
31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Reputation: 9325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Devils in the details.

Now, where to cut? The same 77% of Americans support Social Security in its current form, the same percentage supports medicare in its current form.

So where do we cut? The biggest pieces on the table are unemployment, welfare, and defense. Of those defense is the grossest out of proportion spending there.

But if you tell people you want to cut the defense budget by even 10%, Republicans largely freak out. They want to talk about welfare and unemployment, things that don't slow down the economy, things that keep people from going completely broke and turning to crime.

I'm all for spending cuts, but we've got to be incredibly smart about where we cut. "entitlements" can be reformed, but not cut, most Americans don't want that.
It will never happen. We will NEVER have cuts in government spending. At best, we will slow the increase. Nobody wants THEIR programs cut.

But the opportunities are huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:16 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top