Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 04:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Here what I've seen in contractors from India. Some are very competent, and some have no idea of what they are doing. I was involved in an SAP implementation project where many of the contractors were from India. A significant number of these people were highly inexperienced and this project turned out to be one big training exercise for them. The delays got so bad that a legal settlment was reached with the consulting firm that supplied these workers and the project was placed under direct management of SAP.

What I see lacking in many of these IT people even those that are technically competent is a lack of creative problem solving skills.
They know rote learning. Same with Chinese programmers.
They can implement fine given a set of rules/detailed design docs..not so fine given a high level problem description though.
Innovation doesn't seem to be very big in their universities..I guess hard to do with class sizes in the hundreds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 05:38 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
What I see lacking in many of these IT people even those that are technically competent is a lack of creative problem solving skills.
Actually their problem is in the interpretation of the contract. If something comes up and its not listed as covered in the contract, they wont do it. Whats worse they wont tell anyone that something came because its not in their contract to tell someone that something uncovered came up. Makes sense. Right?

Its 6:05am in India, I expect my India phone calls to start in less than three hours.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:59 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
A significant number of these people were highly inexperienced and this project turned out to be one big training exercise for them.
Do we work in the same place? I could've typed that, except I don't work on SAP projects - a fact that I'm not sufficiently grateful for, come to think of it.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:10 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Actually their problem is in the interpretation of the contract. If something comes up and its not listed as covered in the contract, they wont do it. Whats worse they wont tell anyone that something came because its not in their contract to tell someone that something uncovered came up. Makes sense. Right?

Its 6:05am in India, I expect my India phone calls to start in less than three hours.
It's both!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They know rote learning. Same with Chinese programmers.
They can implement fine given a set of rules/detailed design docs..not so fine given a high level problem description though.
Innovation doesn't seem to be very big in their universities..I guess hard to do with class sizes in the hundreds.
I think it goes beyond what they are taught in their univeristies. I think it's part of their culture. Both Chinese and Indian cultures stress conformity over independence and that tends to limit creative thinking.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:37 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
India leads the pack for getting US H-1B work visas between 2000 and 2009. They get 46.9 percent of all US H-1B work visas issued. 64 percent come from just 4 countries. Can you guess the other three?

Nearly half of H1B visa holders from India: US report - The Economic Times

Do you think there is a good reason to import these workers meaning why aren't US workers able to fill the void they fill?
With the current economic situation, there is no justification for bringing in immigrants to work when we have so many Americans that are unemployed, especially within the sciences and technological fields.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
How do you legislate the illegal immigration rate? (Incidentally, H-1B is a non-immigrant visa.)

Actually H-1B is what's known as a dual intent visa. Under the right conditions an H1B visa holder can (and a LOT sign on as H1B intending just this) adjust status and qualify for a LPR greencard, changing their "temporary work visa" to a permanent resident visa.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:06 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I'm resurrecting this thread because two senators, a Republican (Grassley) and a Democrat (Durbin), have decided to do something about it.

"Two veteran senators are continuing a push to reform the H-1B visa program, following a recent government report that said the initiative was susceptible to fraud. Grassley, the ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Durbin, the majority whip, wrote in a letter to Napolitano that the G.A.O. report 'verifies what we have argued for years – that loopholes in the program have resulted in adverse affects for American and foreign workers.'”

Grassley, Durbin looking for changes in visa program - The Hill's On The Money

There's more but this is looking good, for a change...except Homeland Security is getting uppity about the problem of visa overstays which GAO also reported was problematic. Homeland Security disagreed about how good a job they do in tracking down visa overstays.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:18 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
India leads the pack for getting US H-1B work visas between 2000 and 2009. They get 46.9 percent of all US H-1B work visas issued. 64 percent come from just 4 countries. Can you guess the other three?

Nearly half of H1B visa holders from India: US report - The Economic Times

Do you think there is a good reason to import these workers meaning why aren't US workers able to fill the void they fill?
The reason is obvious: there aren't US workers to fill the void. India has tons of great computer programmers, while we don't have enough.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The reason is obvious: there aren't US workers to fill the void. India has tons of great computer programmers, while we don't have enough.
That's not true at all. The real deal is the hi-tech industry is VERY age biased. There are a lot of skilled and experienced people over 40 that are extremely talented and tend to want higher pay. It's a lot cheaper to hire H1-B and younger workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies