Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not in every state. It's 19 in Nebraska. Different strokes for different folks.
I did not know that Is there not a federal law? Can 18 yr olds vote in Neb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I did not know that Is there not a federal law? Can 18 yr olds vote in Neb?
I don't live there, so I can't answer your question. I think the age to vote in federal elections is 18, nationwide.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Proving completely that the drawing of any such line must perforce be arbitrary. We have to make a judgment of when we are confident the risk is overcome by the reward. And so we do.

But there is no single specific line across which a person becomes "an adult." There are multiple different lines that individuals cross on their way to unambiguous adulthood. It's a continuum, just like most things in the real universe. There are people that are clearly children, and other that are clearly adults. In between, there are a large number of people who are not clearly either.

Different personal capacities mature faster than others. It would be irremediably stupid to pretend that everything happens at the same time. It does not.

So we make judgments based on the specific subject, not some fuzzy and unworkable ambiguity like "adult."

And how is that more rather than less arbitrary than tying it to something completely unrelated... like voting age?

I think the point of this discussion is about legaility, and age discrimination. We wouldn't disallow African-Americans their right to vote. Again, why can rental car agencies discriminate against young adults? There is age discrimination going on in the US

Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
I think the point of this discussion is about legaility, and age discrimination.
Regardless of the point, the message of this discussion is that people continue to believe the universe is simpler than it actually is, and this accounts for at least some of the very bad decisions we make as a society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians
There is age discrimination going on in the US
Good!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Regardless of the point, the message of this discussion is that people continue to believe the universe is simpler than it actually is, and this accounts for at least some of the very bad decisions we make as a society.

Good!

I don't understand your position on this issue. I have read your replies, and they all seem to stray off the legaility and into a theoretical argument. Regarding the original issue, it is clearly an age discrimination situation. So, I guess your views are that age discrimination is ok in certain circumstances? Or are you just opposed to alcohol?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:14 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Proving completely that the drawing of any such line must perforce be arbitrary. We have to make a judgment of when we are confident the risk is overcome by the reward. And so we do.

But there is no single specific line across which a person becomes "an adult." There are multiple different lines that individuals cross on their way to unambiguous adulthood. It's a continuum, just like most things in the real universe. There are people that are clearly children, and other that are clearly adults. In between, there are a large number of people who are not clearly either.

Different personal capacities mature faster than others. It would be irremediably stupid to pretend that everything happens at the same time. It does not.

So we make judgments based on the specific subject, not some fuzzy and unworkable ambiguity like "adult."

And how is that more rather than less arbitrary than tying it to something completely unrelated... like voting age?

Yes, I admit that it's an arbitrary point. But for most things, that arbitrary point is 18. Why make a special exception for the drinking age?

Old 01-21-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yes, I admit that it's an arbitrary point. But for most things, that arbitrary point is 18. Why make a special exception for the drinking age?
It's not an exception at all. It's simply a different standard for a different thing.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Regarding the original issue, it is clearly an age discrimination situation.
Of course it is. It is appropriate age discrimination. We discriminate based on age all the time, from driving to sexual consent to going to certain movies.

This is just another.

Quote:
So, I guess your views are that age discrimination is ok in certain circumstances?
Of course. Who doesn't?

Quote:
Or are you just opposed to alcohol?
I'm a big fan of alcohol.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:44 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
It's not an exception at all. It's simply a different standard for a different thing.
It certainly is, when so many different items have 18 as the cutoff.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It certainly is, when so many different items have 18 as the cutoff.
I don't think you know what "exception" means.

Different things have different cutoffs. An "exception would be if (for example) one of the cut-offs was 16, and for some reason an exception was made for a certain person to gain the same benefit at 15.

A good example is younger people being able to drive if they work on their family farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies