U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 09:32 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,674,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Ok, so you're interested if she kicks the bucket but if it's actually good news, then you could care less.

No wonder our news works the way it does. They have people like you watching it.
No actually I could care less either way. But at least her death would be newsworthy.

At least then we wouldnt have to live thru the drama of "now she's eating, now she's blinking, now she's having bowel movements..."
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:35 PM

924 posts, read 1,457,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
No actually I could care less either way. But at least her death would be newsworthy.
Then the word 'newsworthy' needs to be redefined.

The only thing I'm tired of hearing about in Giffords' case is the fingerpointing, scapegoating between the two sides. That, and that Jared Loughner idiot. Just tell us when he's diagnosed with schizophrenia already and leave out all the little details.

What's really sad is that Jon Stewart, a comedian may I remind you, was more insightful then any news channel.

Jon Stewart on the Giffords Shooting: The Voice of Reason for a Generation

Old 01-16-2011, 09:44 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,404,313 times
Just when I think I've seen people be as ugly as they possibly could be, there always has to be someone to prove me wrong.

As for why she is newsworthy I would suggest that when our votes are canceled by a bullet then our republic is endangered and we all...whatever our political persuasion.....should be concerned.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:21 PM

532 posts, read 1,069,139 times
Quote:

At least then we wouldnt have to live thru the drama of "now she's eating, now she's blinking, now she's having bowel movements..."
Oh, so now that you're BORED, there should be no more news of her recovery unless she kicks the bucket. That's news then; then you'll be entertained.

Crawl back under your bridge. There's one place you'd be free of getting 'daily updates'. But next you'd be whining to us on how somebody pressed your face up to a TV and 'made' you watch the 'ghory' details. No wonder somebody commented on the first page how disgusting your remarks were. And FYI, that's what the poster was referring to, your ugliness in your OP, not the updates on Giffords.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:49 PM

29,986 posts, read 39,144,547 times
I hope she recovers but I think the day by day focus on Rep. Giffords is more than a bit morbid. Let us not forget that she is not the only survivor recovering.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:13 AM

17,802 posts, read 22,343,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I kinda of agree with you, but for totally different reasons.

I fully understand the tragedy that has befallen her.....but a federal judge was killed and we hardly heard anything about him, there was some brief coverage of the poor 9 year old girl....and virtually nothing about the other victims.
I didn't hear anyone mention any of the other victims on the news today when they showed people placing flowers at the hospital.

Either the reporters or the people interviewed.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:19 AM

56,229 posts, read 30,138,321 times
Quote:
Am I the only one? Every time the news comes on we get the ghory details of the latest procedure they did to her. Really, I could care less. Tell us if she dies, otherwise, who cares.
As much as i love Gabby and admire her work for this district, the news is getting old.

I don't care what the event is....it can become quite tiring to hear about it over and over again. Even 9/11 news started getting under my skin after a few weeks. That's the 24 hour news cycle for ya.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:23 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,608,056 times
I'm totally bored by the news about them. It fills space which otherwise would be occupied by something even more boring which by now would be welcome.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 AM

18,261 posts, read 20,234,357 times
Quote:

You are tired of hearing about Gabby Giffords yet....you are just soooooo tired of hearing about her that you start a thread about and keep posting about her? Right....OK

Here's a little tip....put the tv on mute, turn the channel or just turn it off completely.....it really is that simple.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:13 AM

924 posts, read 1,457,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You are tired of hearing about Gabby Giffords yet....you are just soooooo tired of hearing about her that you start a thread about and keep posting about her? Right....OK

Here's a little tip....put the tv on mute, turn the channel or just turn it off completely.....it really is that simple.
Yeah I don't even watch the news for more then 30 mins (especially when there's a big breaking news event) because I just know it'll be the same thing over and over again with every tiny detail being a huge event.

Jon Stewart and Colbert get the job done better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies