U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:23 AM

38,994 posts, read 21,023,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Am I the only one? Every time the news comes on we get the ghory details of the latest procedure they did to her. Really, I could care less. Tell us if she dies, otherwise, who cares.
Then don't watch the news stories or click on discussions about her then. Other folks are not as heartless and want to see her make a full-recovery.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 AM

8,640 posts, read 8,299,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I care and so do many others who hope this woman makes a complete recovery. As far as I'm concerned, they don't talk enough about this woman.

I'd much rather have more about Giffords progress than ANYTHING related to Palin, Limbaugh, and the rest of that ridiculous bunch.

I agree. More interesting news would be updates on the far left liberal man that threatened to kill an INNOCENT Tea Party member at a town hall meeting? I wonder how Giffords would feel about that considering he was another that was shot when she was?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:02 AM

19,895 posts, read 16,689,002 times
As with any news that is news worthy, of course the news can be much exagerrated, and overdone. Some do feel that more should have been mentioned of those who have past, and the others, who are recovering also. My heart and prayers do go out to those who have past, and their familes, and to all others who were also victimized.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:05 AM

7,114 posts, read 5,979,737 times
I appreciate hearing updates about her. I hope she recovers.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:51 AM

27,236 posts, read 42,908,887 times
{yawn}

Old 01-17-2011, 03:58 AM

267 posts, read 810,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I kinda of agree with you, but for totally different reasons.

I fully understand the tragedy that has befallen her.....but a federal judge was killed and we hardly heard anything about him, there was some brief coverage of the poor 9 year old girl....and virtually nothing about the other victims.
I believe the reason we hear so much about the congresswoman is because she survived being shot in the head. She is still alive and making progress every day.

I have heard quite a bit about those who were killed, it just depends what news you watch or read. Some offer better coverage than others.

I believe we hear more about Gabrielle because she IS alive and recovering, and that's a positive story. I think amidst all the tragedy of this situation, it's nice to hear the news letting us know that she is doing better every day.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,420 posts, read 9,048,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I'm totally bored by the news about them. It fills space which otherwise would be occupied by something even more boring which by now would be welcome.
Yeah, like maybe more news about something really important to you, like KFC's 2 Piece Meal Coupon!

And yes, as ever, Jon Stewart seemed to have the best and most heartfelt take on it all. While he did no real "finger-pointing", I think he's pretty spot-on when he points out that when crazy folks are running around shouting crazy stuff, how do we recognize it, when it sounds indistinguishable from some of the commentary coming out of the media?

Last edited by mateo45; 01-17-2011 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: link

Old 01-17-2011, 08:19 AM

16,250 posts, read 26,883,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
A Congresswoman was shot and almost died, her recovery is certainly newsworthy.

but if it was an ordinary worker, say a "janitor" in a hospital, there would be no media coverage....

Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,087,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Am I the only one? Every time the news comes on we get the gory details of the latest procedure they did to her. Really, I could care less. Tell us if she dies, otherwise, who cares.
If she were fat , ugly , black or a man we would never here as much as we do now.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 AM

33,480 posts, read 20,325,993 times
I have nothing against Gabby Giffords, she seems like a good person. I have to question WHY the media has to put so much focus on her. 6 people are dead, the only one we hear much about is a federal judge and a 9 year old. Others are still in the hospital, their lives have just as much meaning as a government employees does, yet we hear nothing about the other victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies