Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:13 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Well Jill61..we'll have to wait and see if anyone turns their money over to Duvalier.
He has no right to even enter that country after what he and his father did.
I can't fathom that the US is not involved. Where is the outcry on this ? Where is the press on this ?
Duvalier can do a better job than Clinton or the current President ?
He is the LAST person to even see a penny of that money.
I agree completely with everything but the bolded part above.

Oh, and the fact that the press is definitely covering it, seeing as how we have both been reading about it for days now.
Quote:

I read that Duvalier is broke due to his divorce settlement.
There is $5.7 million in a Swiss bank that appears to me to be the reason he's showing his despicable face again. From the CNN article:

"He has laid claim to the $5.7 million in Switzerland but that battle has dragged on for a quarter century. A new Swiss law that goes into effect February 1 eases the repatriation of the money even if Haiti declines to prosecute Duvalier. However, Haitian authorities must show that the country lacked the resources for legal action or that Duvalier was not within reach. By making himself available, Duvalier could potentially erase Haiti's right to the funds."

I have no idea what that $5.7 million is or where it came from. And since it's been at issue for over 25 years, it doesn't seem to me that it could be the recent relief funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 02:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
He left 25 years ago with the country's money.
That date lines up pretty perfectly.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:20 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Yup, that's why his sorry bleep is back. The new Swiss law may end up making him $5.7 million dollars rich. He's not there to help Haiti or distribute the relief funds, that's just a smoke screen to "explain" his return and couch it in a humanitarian light. He's there hoping Haiti either won't prosecute him or that they won't be able to prove they didn't have access, so he can walk away with $5.7 mil.

I think it's time for another letter and series of phone calls to my Representatives. You with me?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Yup, that's why his sorry bleep is back. The new Swiss law may end up making him $5.7 million dollars rich. He's not there to help Haiti or distribute the relief funds, that's just a smoke screen to "explain" his return and couch it in a humanitarian light. He's there hoping Haiti either won't prosecute him or that they won't be able to prove they didn't have access, so he can walk away with $5.7 mil.

I think it's time for another letter and series of phone calls to my Representatives. You with me?
Nah..I'm one step ahead of you
I lived in S. Florida for many years and saw first hand the plight of the Haitians.

I've sent an email to Hillary Clinton at the State Dept.
Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter should be running that effort and in charge of the money. No one else.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:10 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Nah..I'm one step ahead of you
I've sent an email to Hillary Clinton at the State Dept.
Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter should be running that effort and in charge of the money. No one else.
That's the best one I've seen in a long time.

Perhaps Baby Doc has moved up in the world of voodoo and can scare people the way his daddy did. They certainly didn't imprison him; they told him not to leave; he didn't wish to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies