Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times

Advertisements

I don't have any figures to back this up, but I believe there is a perception that gay black men are more sexually active (much like the perception of straight black men), and therefore are more likely to be HIV+ than men of other races. As a result, people tend to discriminate against black men when looking for a partner. Another poster brought up the Prop 8 exit polls, showing that something like 75% of black voters voted for Prop 8, while Anglo and Hispanic voters were only about 48 and 52 percent respectively. Perhaps such a blatant display of homophobia from the black community only increased this tension. Of c ourse, it does not help that married black women are getting HIV and AIDS at an alarming rate because of husbands are on the "DL", having unprotected sex with HIV+ men bringing it home to their wives. This only makes tensions worse between the black and gay communities, and didn't help when the black population went into the voting booth. Finally, as another poster pointed out, it might just be physical attributes and personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 09:37 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
That's another thing I forgot to point out, Prop 8. While yes, white, Asians, and Latinos voted for it also, it was by a huge majority that blacks voted for it. Are all blacks homophobic? No. But do you think gays can be a little justified at their (our) resentment toward the black community. Even if there are not enough blacks in California to have passed Prop 8 on their own, it did unveil much homophobia in the black community. I think, just as many gay blacks tell of their oppression coming from gay whites, I believe that many white gays get their oppression from straight blacks. Am I wrong here?
Resentment toward blacks from the mainstream gay community has very little if anything to do with Prop 8 or any assumption of homophobia on the part of the black community that may be drawn from it. White gays, in the attempt to establish political and social hegemony over their community, have marginalized black gays in much the same way as their straight counterparts.

Faced with oppression from without, white gays in turn have essentially adopted the same marginalization tactics as their oppressors, and other ethnic gays, in the rush to ensure that they themselves don't end up at "rock bottom" on the social hierarchy that the white gay power structure created, are often given to express a measure of disdain for blacks in the community as well. The racial power dynamics in both the GLBT community and the heterosexual community at large are merely two sides of the same coin.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:23 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Resentment toward blacks from the mainstream gay community has very little if anything to do with Prop 8 or any assumption of homophobia on the part of the black community that may be drawn from it. White gays, in the attempt to establish political and social hegemony over their community, have marginalized black gays in much the same way as their straight counterparts.

Faced with oppression from without, white gays in turn have essentially adopted the same marginalization tactics as their oppressors, and other ethnic gays, in the rush to ensure that they themselves don't end up at "rock bottom" on the social hierarchy that the white gay power structure created, are often given to express a measure of disdain for blacks in the community as well. The racial power dynamics in both the GLBT community and the heterosexual community at large are merely two sides of the same coin.
I don't think ONLY Prop 8 has to do with resentment from white gays, but it is a small part. I also think gentrification plays a big part. In may communities across the nation, DC for example, the large wave of gentrification by white gay males moving into traditionally black hoods has increased tension. As someone who supports gentrification, I can see much anomosity from urban blacks both young and old. It's like they feel they should have a monopoly on urban living. I remember no laws saying whites/hispanics/asians cannot move into new neighborhoods. There is no quota in place saying what % of ethnic groups are allowed to live in one city block. But many long time locals (mainly black) think DC should remain a 'Chocolate City'. Though every population figures show DC is losing it's black population fast. But at one time DC was losing it's white population, now it it gaining it back. Cities are ever evolving as they should be...

Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
I agree. Anybody working as a proponent for diversity who does not support all minorities needs to be called out into the public light and questioned for being a turncoat. I am sick of these so-called proponents of diversity who are of whatever color or whatever sexual orientation that refuse to do fair and honest work and continue to create barriers that divide and oppress. I've called professionals who are "proponents of diversity" out on the carpet and blatantly criticized their unfair methods; and so should everyone else who sees this happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
White gays, in the attempt to establish political and social hegemony over their community, have marginalized black gays in much the same way as their straight counterparts.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:27 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Well the fact that they even think homosexuality is a sin in the first place is telling. You cannot seperate the two so therefore you hate the person as much as the sin.

That's like saying, I don't hate Muslims, but I hate their religion. But even that is not a perfect example since you cal always change your religious preference, not your sexual orientation...
Their religion tells them that being gay is a lifestyle choice so for them they can separate the two.

At any rate, the resentment gays have should be directed at religious folks, not any one race.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,501 times
There is racism in the LGBT community, but it's from many sides.

I also want to point out that many gay Asian men and some gay Black men have this "I only date white guys" mentality and refuse to date their own race. Well, often when they are rejected by whites (who might also have preferences to dating whites) they accuse them of being racist, however, they need to realize that by refusing to date and being attracted to their own kind, they are being self defeating, racist themselves, and contributing to the racism.

I am not playing down the complaints posted here, but often times gay minorities look up to whites WAY to much and don't want to date other minorities, which is pointless and wrong to me.

To sum it up, if you're complaining about racism but have your own racial preferences, time to look at yourself before looking at others.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:57 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
I find my own race unattractive.... , for some reason i can't compels myself to date black ppl. However White , Asians and Latinos is a different story....maybe it has to do were i grew up and live currently. Its a mostly white / Asian Neighborhood with a few blacks.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It doesn't automatically mean homophobia, but there is definitely a correlation.

Sexual orientation is a part of who we are. You can't separate it from sexual acts unless you believe that homosexuals should be celibate in order to be accepted.

Here's the CNN exit polls for you:

Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
Interesting. It's a pity that religious affiliation wasn't included.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Much has been made about the black vote in regards to the Prop 8 controversy. Something tells me that it's overblown.

Name any ethnic community where homosexuality has popular support. Hispanic? Asian? Armenian? But for some reason, the black folks have caught the brunt of the criticism. Something about that doesn't make any sense. Maybe someone can explain it to me.
In conserversatons and debats that I've had with Black Americans on this issues it seems that many Black Americans don't see gay rights issues as being civil rights issues. That I think is part of the reasons there is resentment and tension between the too groups. There is a certain anger by the Gay community that after Black Americans fought so hard for civil rights that they don't have more empathy and support for the fight for civil rights for the Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual, and Transgendered people. .

A contributing factor in this is that a certain percentage of Black Americans are actually more socially conservative and in some cases more bigoted than other groups of people on the issue of civil rights for the LGBT community.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I find my own race unattractive.... , for some reason i can't compels myself to date black ppl. However White , Asians and Latinos is a different story....maybe it has to do were i grew up and live currently. Its a mostly white / Asian Neighborhood with a few blacks.
I don't see anything wrong with that as long as you don't complain when other races agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies