Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 AM

499 posts, read 405,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
In conserversatons and debats that I've had with Black Americans on this issues it seems that many Black Americans don't see gay rights issues as being civil rights issues. That I think is part of the reasons there is resentment and tension between the too groups. There is a certain anger by the Gay community that after Black Americans fought so hard for civil rights that they don't have more empathy and support for the fight for civil rights for the Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual, and Transgendered people. .

A contributing factor in this is that a certain percentage of Black Americans are actually more socially conservative and in some cases more bigoted than other groups of people on the issue of civil rights for the LGBT community.
It's sad if that is the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 07:28 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
It's sad if that is the case.
It is the case.

And yes, it's narrow-minded and ignorant has hell.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I don't see anything wrong with that as long as you don't complain when other races agree with you.
Well then i would take offense to that...but i guess it would be hypocritical of me.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:09 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
So hear me out. I'm a gay man living, working, and going to school in the DC area. Before this, I was in the service station in a small town. So before I moved to DC, I never really had a strong connection to the gay community. But in my time here I noticed a lot of tension between gay white men and gay black men. I hear many negative remarks, from BOTH sides, about each other. When looking for potential partners, many whites will exclude Asians, and blacks, but are mostly fine with latino men. While I notice that gay white men tend to get along better with latinos and Asians, it is usually with the non-immigrant types. And there seems to be a certain amount fetishism between whites and latinos. But of course, when I say latino, I mean those with features that are different from them, but not to the point where they look too 'ethnic' for lack of a better word. Has any other gay folks on here seen the tension between whites and blacks in the community?
I've read many times that gay blacks keep their preferences hidden because the black community is not accepting of the gay/lesbian lifestyle. There's a big problem in the black community about gay blacks being in the closet and being married as a cover... which puts their wives at risk for STD's and AIDS since they have no idea about their husbands' secret lives.

So maybe gay blacks prefer to keep to their own and stay away from white gays since they are more comfortable being open about their sexual persuasion.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:11 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well then i would take offense to that...but i guess it would be hypocritical of me.
Yes, quite hypocritical of you.

Why is it okay for you to do it and not anyone else?

Old 01-18-2011, 11:24 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I agree. Anybody working as a proponent for diversity who does not support all minorities needs to be called out into the public light and questioned for being a turncoat. I am sick of these so-called proponents of diversity who are of whatever color or whatever sexual orientation that refuse to do fair and honest work and continue to create barriers that divide and oppress. I've called professionals who are "proponents of diversity" out on the carpet and blatantly criticized their unfair methods; and so should everyone else who sees this happening.
But do you call out people who are not professional? Yes, I know their may be some upper class professionals who could care less about living next to a black family, but there are just as many black families who will make the lives of new white yuppies difficult just because they feel they should'nt be in 'their' neighborhood. Do you call them out on it also?

Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaasNYC View Post
And on the other side of the coin, there are those who use the same prejudices & stereotypes to fetisize guys. Personally, the whole dominant Black “beast” against the submissive White guy scenario is getting soooo old. Hey guys, I'm more than the color of my skin and more than a certain part of my body .
While I agree that this does happen it's not always this way. It's funny to me how some of these black guys will demonize a white guy who likes black men because "he only likes black guys to satisfy a fetish." But when a black guy blatantly discriminates against white guys and only will date black guys it's "his preference." So just to be fair there are more than 2 sides to this coin.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:57 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
They definitely are racist. I've seen more racially segregated "gay" communities in cities than I have in rural small towns and the suburbs.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Being a turncoat is unprofessional if you work in a capacity that is supposed to enforce fairness or equality at work or at an organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
But do you call out people who are not professional? Yes, I know their may be some upper class professionals who could care less about living next to a black family, but there are just as many black families who will make the lives of new white yuppies difficult just because they feel they should'nt be in 'their' neighborhood. Do you call them out on it also?

Old 01-18-2011, 01:05 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Have you noticed if you are gay and part of an ethnic minority group you are less forgiven by the masses (e.g., don't get near those people; they are perverted deviants). But if you are gay and white Anglo then you are more easily forgiven and people are quick to come up with defenses to help them out (e.g., It's only a phase. It's harmless. He's not gay, he is just confused or experimenting. It's normal.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies