Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times

Advertisements

I just don't get it.

A Democratic President and a Democratic Congress ran on a national healthcare law, and they passed one. Did you expect them not to do what they told you they would?

Honestly, I don't get it. Me, I understand that the majority of the people make the rules. That doesn't mean I follow the rules, far from it, it just makes me a criminal. I'm ok with that, I made a personal choice. I'd rather not be a criminal, so I work within the system to try and change that, but I don't see the government as some big evil thing that has unfairly taken away my rights.

Here is a piece of wisdom I'm going to drop on you.

Your constitution doesn't guarantee you any rights, not one. The bill of rights, not rights, sorry.

The only right you have under the Constitution of these United States is that you get to vote for a congress and executive branch that can, have, and will undoubtedly will repeal and change amendments to the constitution.

That is your liberty, and even that liberty can be legally taken away from you.

When the majority of Americans have spoken, then they have spoken. If you disagree with it, just become a criminal. Our founding fathers were all criminals to the crown of England, Martin Luther King Jr. broke the law, and there are countless other examples. But your government didn't take away or force anything upon you that they couldn't legally do. Its just that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 04:44 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,855,128 times
Nothing stops a fairly elected government from passing an unconstitutional law...

Old 01-17-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Nothing stops a fairly elected government from passing an unconstitutional law...
The justice system does.

Checks and balances.

If the court deems that the law is constitutional, would people then quit screaming their liberty was stolen?

It wasn't stolen, it was taken away fairly, with representation. Exactly what our founding fathers fought for, well, supposedly.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The justice system does.

Checks and balances.

If the court deems that the law is constitutional, would people then quit screaming their liberty was stolen?

It wasn't stolen, it was taken away fairly, with representation. Exactly what our founding fathers fought for, well, supposedly.
When one party controls all 3 branches of government there are no checks and balances therefore the justice system does nothing. The Democratic party passed a health care/insurance bill all on their own against the will of the Republican minority and the American people, many feel that the bill is unconstitutional and we will soon find out in the Supreme Court agrees. They were a fairly elected government.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:13 PM

182 posts, read 129,998 times
Quote:
The justice system does.

Checks and balances.

It's too bad the supreme court are usually filled with activist liberal idiots.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
When one party controls all 3 branches of government there are no checks and balances therefore the justice system does nothing. The Democratic party passed a health care/insurance bill all on their own against the will of the Republican minority and the American people, many feel that the bill is unconstitutional and we will soon find out in the Supreme Court agrees. They were a fairly elected government.
The Supreme Court is more conservative right now than at anytime in the last 40 years.

Congress is split between two parties right now.

Republicans filibustered more bills in the Senate than any other caucus in the history of the Senate.

Unless you take the view that Republicans and Democrats are the exact same party (in which, why would you argue against the Democrats and not the Republicans?), then the bill is legal, and passed by a fairly elected government.

You got your say, if you voted for McCain in 2008, you lost. The majority of Americans disagreed with you.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ntr0py View Post
Supreme Court Leans Conservative - washingtonpost.com

President Obama hasn't replaced any conservative justice with a liberal one.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
The Supreme Court is more conservative right now than at anytime in the last 40 years.

Congress is split between two parties right now.

Republicans filibustered more bills in the Senate than any other caucus in the history of the Senate.

Unless you take the view that Republicans and Democrats are the exact same party (in which, why would you argue against the Democrats and not the Republicans?), then the bill is legal, and passed by a fairly elected government.

You got your say, if you voted for McCain in 2008, you lost. The majority of Americans disagreed with you.
What does any of that have to do with your original post?

Old 01-17-2011, 05:21 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Opposed by a majority of Americans.

You see, obama didn't run on the mandate/penalty - in fact, he mocked Hillary for it.

You see, obama didn't run on taxes HC benefits - he mocked McCain for it.

Obama promised if you like your plan or doctor, you can keep them - we know that's not true now.

Obama ran on a promise that people would save $2300 on premiums - a Lie.

He said his plan would bend the cost curve down - a Lie.

The way the democrats put the bill together, budget gimmicks and flat out lies, excluding the Doc Fix, passed the bill with procedural tricks, back room deals and vote buying - all against an unwilling public.

See, obama didn't run on any of that, in fact, he said he would work with the GOP - they were completely shut out of the process.

They passed a law founded on an unconstitutional mandate - and don't think the people will forget that.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:24 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
One activist liberal here or there isn't equal to "filled with." The majority of the supreme court justices are conservative types. The majority of the people in political authority are conservatives: you really have no business griping since you live in a majority Jesus loving, football adoring, God fearing, conservative world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ntr0py View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies