Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:29 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think media is damaging to children-- and adults.

However I am not for censorship. Parents should be vigilant and monitor what preteens are watching and discuss the realities and consequences of this type of behavior. I have never in my life used an illegal substance, and this type of series often instills a fiction in viewers-- that there are no serious consequences. Parents who allow their kids to watch this, should also make them watch A&E's intervention to see what true addicts are going through.

I'm sure this program will be a giant hit. Sadly, the media has also in been totally complicit in dividing the USA against itself, so while the kids can be monitored and prevented from watching Skins-- who's monitoring the adults?
Um, I take it you've never watched Skins? The primary theme of many episodes is the aftermath of such inappropriate choices and behavior and how teenagers deal with these serious consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_(film)

It can't be as hard core as this one was. Who thinks teens don't have sex and drink? I did, ergo, it's possible.

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Adults should be free of monitoring.
Perhaps they SHOULD be, but, I think our current status shows most American's can't handle it.

American adults, left to their own devices, have allowed our country to become fractured in to "red" and "blue" without the critical thinking to appreciate or even understand the other side. Any given hour on tv has three to ten programs in which liberals and conservatives scream at each other and proclaim the other side evil. Turn on AM radio and you can hear 40 percent of your fellow Americas demonized 24/7. Without so much as a second thought Americans have allowed entertainment media to divide us and ruin our sense of camaraderie as a country.

You're right, adults SHOULD be free of monitoring, but we sure don't seem to be handling the freedom well.

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Personally, I would rather have teens watch Intervention instead so they can see the effects of "casual recreational" drug use.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:34 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,871 times
I hate reality shows...

Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Um, I take it you've never watched Skins? The primary theme of many episodes is the aftermath of such inappropriate choices and behavior and how teenagers deal with these serious consequences.
I've never seen the show. I will watch it. However, the ultimate consequences of drug use, promiscuousness sex, etc., will likely be glossed over. If one of the main characters ends up in prison, dead, etc., I'll believe that they are truly showing the consequences. I think for the most part they will still end up as free, good-looking young adults and teens who viewers want to emulate.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:40 PM

45,223 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Perhaps they SHOULD be, but, I think our current status shows most American's can't handle it.

American adults, left to their own devices, have allowed our country to become fractured in to "red" and "blue" without the critical thinking to appreciate or even understand the other side. Any given hour on tv has three to ten programs in which liberals and conservatives scream at each other and proclaim the other side evil. Turn on AM radio and you can hear 40 percent of your fellow Americas demonized 24/7. Without so much as a second thought Americans have allowed entertainment media to divide us and ruin our sense of camaraderie as a country.

You're right, adults SHOULD be free of monitoring, but we sure don't seem to be handling the freedom well.
This post has "fairness doctrine" written all over it.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
This post has "fairness doctrine" written all over it.
Do you disagree with anything I said, or, are you just confused because my post doesn't fit in the nice box you put liberals in, in your mind?

You're kind of proving my point. The media told you all liberals are for the fairness doctrine and that it is harmful to your interests-- so you assume I am for it. For the record, I've never discussed my views on the fairness doctrine on here. I am against it.

What I am for is critical thinking and education.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:00 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Quote:

I've haven't watched much TV in more than a decade. Some people come home and immediately turn i on. I have to remember that I have one. I turn it on, it's a bunch of mindless crap, I turn it off.

Do like Family guy and American Dad..South Park and the DAily show.
Shows that make fun of popular culture are hilarious.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:21 PM

45,223 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
I think media is damaging to children-- and adults.

However I am not for censorship. Parents should be vigilant and monitor what preteens are watching and discuss the realities and consequences of this type of behavior. I have never in my life used an illegal substance, and this type of series often instills a fiction in viewers-- that there are no serious consequences. Parents who allow their kids to watch this, should also make them watch A&E's intervention to see what true addicts are going through.

I'm sure this program will be a giant hit. Sadly, the media has also in been totally complicit in dividing the USA against itself, so while the kids can be monitored and prevented from watching Skins-- who's monitoring the adults?
Quote:
Adults should be free of monitoring.
Quote:

Quote:
Do you disagree with anything I said, or, are you just confused because my post doesn't fit in the nice box you put liberals in, in your mind?

You're kind of proving my point. The media told you all liberals are for the fairness doctrine and that it is harmful to your interests-- so you assume I am for it. For the record, I've never discussed my views on the fairness doctrine on here. I am against it.

What I am for is critical thinking and education.
What have you said that is worthy of a discussion?
You seem to be aimlessly ranting, implying that Americans aren't responsible enough to handle freedoms and should be monitored, but turn around and claim you are against "censorship", then throw in the terms "critical thinking" and "education" when you have obviously applied neither to the conversation.
I don't know how I proved your point when you don't even have one.

The media has been full of it since the days of the stone tablet.Stop acting as though it's a recent phenomena and is somehow eroding the fiber of America. The alternative is censorship and that will be the real end of America as we know it.
And it's MTV for crisesakes, you were thinking it was PBS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies