Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:31 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,353,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
OMG, I always thought that people not interested in politics were at least a little whacko.
Some people choose not to be in politics because it's inherently corrupt in even the most civilized of societies, plus it can ruin friendships or even relationships. Additionally, it has no place in certain situations such as work, church, etc.

Keeping up with current events is important, yes. Politics, not so much. If anything, apolitical people on average are the sanest people I've ever met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 07:33 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,843,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
It is both naive and irresponsible to think that more words written on more pieces of paper will create a more perfect union.
So we should abandon laws and the process that we have? You do realize that's part of the basis of how we coordinate our world? If not, that's incredibly naive and irresponsible.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,843,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
There you go attacking the mentally ill. The mentally ill rarely if ever have shoot-outs. And in the past, there have been numerous cases against psychiatric medication that have proven to cause people to become homicidal or violent. So the cure is part of the problem. A pathetic mental health field engineered to destroy off the working-class, middle-class, and poor. Who exactly can afford $70-$120 a session for talk-therapy for years on end? And even then who knows if your counselor will like you as a person and not confuse you further with their theories and methods. Another problem is the gamble of psychiatric medication: it has a tendency to flatten emotion at best which is what most people say happens; but it can also create adverse reactions like violence and homicide. I'm just saying the mental health field is greedy and they don't care if people die.
My grandmother committed suicide because she was schizophrenic. I'm a biopsychology major that used to work in the field. I've seen the effects and studied the effects of the medications. So, I know the good and the bad. Trust me, the good usually outweighs the bad.

Clearly from your post, you obviously don't understand. It's not a conspiracy. The big, bad mental health professionals are not out to get you.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:40 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,148,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
In order to be vulnerable to violent rhetoric, one must actually listen to that rhetoric. Since it appears that he never did, it's quite obvious that the Lefties are going to distort facts in order to further the lie that he acted because of something the right did or said.

So much for "civility".
See... this is where I think the folks frantically trying to insulate the violent rhetoric on the part of conservative pundits really are reaching. The guy absolutely was a nut job... but not a nut job without a pattern. The "issues" that concerned him were primarily garbled versions of what are exclusively right wing talking points.

Leftists don't wring their hands over the US Currency... while the right wing blogosphere simmers over the issue constantly. Lefties don't use the Constitution or constitutionality like a club... while the right wing can be guaranteed to commence any discussion of political disagreement with shrill accusations of unconstitutionality. Left wingers do not continuously assert that government is itself evil, even when they berate specific governmental officials. The right wing in contrast has become dogmatic regarding their antipathy to government and government workers.

It is absurd to pretend that Jared Loughner just spontaneously developed a set of delusions that so uniquely align with the concerns of the right wing fringe. His mental pathologies are not so extreme that they completely garble the echo chamber from which he most certainly derived them.

The point that people have to come to grips with is that there are nut jobs out there... and that they are listening.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:19 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,247,643 times
Maybe the shooter fancied himself doing his part to save America from communism. This nation is full of such people, they just don't have the courage to kill for it.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:21 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,098,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Still trying to get her to apologize for voting for Obama She's now a converted gun nut and anti-IRS (after starting her own small business selling used books she now realizes the theft of taxation). She's growing up and joining the real world, I'm so proud of her. Slowly but surely...
Can't even remember the last time I heard anything so completely patronizing.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,262,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
See... this is where I think the folks frantically trying to insulate the violent rhetoric on the part of conservative pundits really are reaching. The guy absolutely was a nut job... but not a nut job without a pattern. The "issues" that concerned him were primarily garbled versions of what are exclusively right wing talking points.

Leftists don't wring their hands over the US Currency... while the right wing blogosphere simmers over the issue constantly. Lefties don't use the Constitution or constitutionality like a club... while the right wing can be guaranteed to commence any discussion of political disagreement with shrill accusations of unconstitutionality. Left wingers do not continuously assert that government is itself evil, even when they berate specific governmental officials. The right wing in contrast has become dogmatic regarding their antipathy to government and government workers.

It is absurd to pretend that Jared Loughner just spontaneously developed a set of delusions that so uniquely align with the concerns of the right wing fringe. His mental pathologies are not so extreme that they completely garble the echo chamber from which he most certainly derived them.

The point that people have to come to grips with is that there are nut jobs out there... and that they are listening.
And as the president said rhetoric was not involved in the shootings so let it go

Old 01-18-2011, 09:06 AM

308 posts, read 713,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post

His friend stated that Loughner was obsessed with "Zeitgeist".

It is a conspiracy movie about our currency. This is what Loughner watched and was obsessed with.

The movie is apolitical.

http://www.youtube.com/user/zeitgeis...18/Lio3n66bwOo

Old 01-18-2011, 09:09 AM

308 posts, read 713,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Maybe the shooter fancied himself doing his part to save America from communism. This nation is full of such people, they just don't have the courage to kill for it.

One of his favorite books was "The Communist Manifesto". It isn't that easy to pigeon hole the guy. He was crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/classitup10

Loughner: I can't trust this government - U.S. news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

Quote:
Books:I had favorite books: Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Wizard Of OZ, Aesop Fables, The Odyssey, Alice Adventures Into Wonderland, Fahrenheit 451, Peter Pan, To Kill A Mockingbird, We The Living, Phantom Toll Booth, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Pulp,Through The Looking Glass, The Communist Manifesto, Siddhartha, The Old Man And The Sea, Gulliver's Travels, Mein Kampf, The Republic, and Meno.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,353,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Can't even remember the last time I heard anything so completely patronizing.
What can I say? She's a wonderful lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies