Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:15 AM

38,065 posts, read 22,219,705 times

Advertisements

[quote=American_Libertarian;17458025]Jerad Loughner was CRAZY. Period.

Quote:
He did not watch TV. He disliked the news.
He didn't listen to political radio.
He didn't take sides.
He wasn't on the left. He wasn't on the right.[/
QUOTE]

His friend wishes he could have helped him. Fantastic interview by Ashley Banfield:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7xLg2C2iI0
Obviously Palin and Beck are to blame for this. Those two people so poisoned politics in this country, that poor Jared could not even bring himself to watch TV, listen to the radio, or even vote in 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,100,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
And as the president said rhetoric was not involved in the shootings so let it go
He said no such thing.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,055,716 times
Google the things Joughner wrote or spoke about while adding Alex Jones' name to the search and see how many hits you get.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:06 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,489,172 times
[quote=Wapasha;17465175]
Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Libertarian View Post
Jerad Loughner was CRAZY. Period.

Obviously Palin and Beck are to blame for this. Those two people so poisoned politics in this country, that poor Jared could not even bring himself to watch TV, listen to the radio, or even vote in 2010.
LOL! Don't try to confuse them with the facts!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,489,172 times
As a reminder (to those who still insist that "right-wing rhetoric" led to Loughner's rampage), the New York Times reports that Loughner hated Bush and that his anger would rise whenever he say an image of the President.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/us...IVgYgsogvlOH2g

Hmm......could it be that all the anti-Bush rhetoric of a few years ago might have played a role in Loughner's motivation to commit murder? If those on the Left want to point to other possible "rhetoric" that they feel led the shooter to act, then they cannot ignore this most inconvenient fact. But they will.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:20 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,297,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It's not in poor taste to keep it up. It's in poor taste, however, to delete it. Makes you look guilty.
Okay, so let me understand -

A man writes something that is perceived as inflammatory after a violent event that involves the subject of said writings, receives a lot of flak for it. He decides that it was in poor taste, considering the events, and deletes it. However, he doesn't just delete it with no comment; he writes again to explain his original intent, why he deleted it, and apologizes for the original post and its effect on others, including the victims.

A person removes something offensive and apologizes, and you consider this to be in poor taste? Also evidence of guilt? Isn't stepping up and publicly apologizing for your actions taking responsibility?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,765,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
It's too darn confusing when people are not easily stereotyped. As for the apolitical side of Loughner, I am not buying it. He killed those people at a formal democratic political event, not in a random classroom, on a city bus, etc. It was premeditated, deliberate, and political in intent. I do believe he was insane, and I don't know who, if anyone, drove him to do it, but the facts are what they are.

Let's see what folks think if, God forbid, some nut case mows down a bunch of Tea Partiers at a Patriots gathering. Will folks assume it is a politically neutral act? I hope to hell nothing like that happens to ANY political group, just saying.....
I would hope that most folks would wait until all the facts of the act came out and the authorities had a chance to investigate. But you are right, there are knee-jerk reactionairies on both sides. This kid had a crush on the congresswoman and I am willing to bet he felt "dismissed" by her remarks to his bizarre questions. By the way, it has also come out that this creep hated George Bush, so which side of the fence would he fall now?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,473,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
He said no such thing.
Yes he did. He said it during the AZ memorial. Why do you ALWAYS think you are right? Do you have an overblown ego issue? I know, the question answers itself..

Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,305,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
It's too darn confusing when people are not easily stereotyped. As for the apolitical side of Loughner, I am not buying it. He killed those people at a formal democratic political event, not in a random classroom, on a city bus, etc. It was premeditated, deliberate, and political in intent. I do believe he was insane, and I don't know who, if anyone, drove him to do it, but the facts are what they are.
Tell us Fiddlehead what was so political about Jodie Foster that would make a man him lie in wait to shoot President Reagan?

Or do have some insight into Squeaky Fromme's politics regarding redwood trees that would explain her attempt on President Gerald Ford?

Old 01-18-2011, 02:18 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,542,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
And as the president said rhetoric was not involved in the shootings so let it go
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
He said no such thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yes he did. He said it during the AZ memorial. Why do you ALWAYS think you are right? Do you have an overblown ego issue? I know, the question answers itself..
Here are the salient paragraphs from the speech:
Quote:
You see, when a tragedy like this strikes, it is part of our nature to demand explanations – to try to impose some order on the chaos, and make sense out of that which seems senseless. Already we've seen a national conversation commence, not only about the motivations behind these killings, but about everything from the merits of gun safety laws to the adequacy of our mental health systems. Much of this process, of debating what might be done to prevent such tragedies in the future, is an essential ingredient in our exercise of self-government.

But at a time when our discourse has become so sharply polarized – at a time when we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who think differently than we do – it's important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we are talking with each other in a way that heals, not a way that wounds.

Scripture tells us that there is evil in the world, and that terrible things happen for reasons that defy human understanding. In the words of Job, "when I looked for light, then came darkness." Bad things happen, and we must guard against simple explanations in the aftermath.

For the truth is that none of us can know exactly what triggered this vicious attack. None of us can know with any certainty what might have stopped those shots from being fired, or what thoughts lurked in the inner recesses of a violent man's mind.

So yes, we must examine all the facts behind this tragedy. We cannot and will not be passive in the face of such violence. We should be willing to challenge old assumptions in order to lessen the prospects of violence in the future.

But what we can't do is use this tragedy as one more occasion to turn on one another. As we discuss these issues, let each of us do so with a good dose of humility. Rather than pointing fingers or assigning blame, let us use this occasion to expand our moral imaginations, to listen to each other more carefully, to sharpen our instincts for empathy, and remind ourselves of all the ways our hopes and dreams are bound together.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/13/us...%20text&st=cse

What I got from this when I heard it was we can't blame the rhetoric. He didn't use those exact words. However, it is what I "heard."

Interesting, b/c I have been one of those blaming the rhetoric and vitriolic climate, in part - note I said "in part" - which made it OK in Loughner's deranged mind to do this thing. This kid was not living in a vacuum. Of course he absorbed the vitriol. AZ, from what I read, is particularly bad in this regard right now b/c of the immigration problem.

Whatever. Interesting how I, with my biases, heard "don't blame the rhetoric." And, it is one of the things I most remember about the speech - his caution not to blame and to temper our speech.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-18-2011 at 02:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies