Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:15 AM

499 posts, read 405,182 times

Advertisements

Who is that he is greeting? In some cultures, it's politeness to do so, especially if you are meeting on their/neutral territory.

It has nothing to do with actual subservience, only manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 07:17 AM

499 posts, read 405,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
bowing is common over there and it is a sign of respect.

thats what I dislike most about americans. completely ignorant to the rest of the worlds cultures and customs.
Exactly. I'm not seeing the problem. It would have been ruder if he hadn't done it, and probably caused negative talk along the lines of "those arrogant Americans, think they're too good for common courtesy..."

I'm sure his team didn't want that.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

Thank you for the link to this article!! Proves the point of a lot of people participating in this thread.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:42 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
It's a formal gesture... Didn't Bush hold hands with Arab leaders?...
Omigosh, this blows the liberal argument of conservative homophobia right out of the water!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
This took place in the US. The Chinese leader behaved appropriately by not bowing. Obama did not by bowing.

What does your MBA have to say about that?

I have a similar question...all the posters who are saying Obama should bow b/c it's the custom for the Chinese guy, well, you don't see the Chinese guy bowing as well, do you? No, and Obama is bowing down to show that he is an inferior leader of an inferior nation. Face it, at this point, we owe China so much money, we are basically their whipping boy. Obama probably should be bowing.

Anyway, it IS embarrassing to our nation how he kowtows to every foreign leader out there, including the evil Chavez. Obama has no balls, he has made that abundantly clear at this point.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
Exactly. I'm not seeing the problem. It would have been ruder if he hadn't done it, and probably caused negative talk along the lines of "those arrogant Americans, think they're too good for common courtesy..."

I'm sure his team didn't want that.
No, they were in the U.S. Custom dictates the Chinese leader adhere to OUR customs, not his own, when in OUR country. Obama must've forgotten this, what a lousy host.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:53 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No, they were in the U.S. Custom dictates the Chinese leader adhere to OUR customs, not his own, when in OUR country. Obama must've forgotten this, what a lousy host.
Maybe because Obama doesn't really consider this his country.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:02 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
A leader who doesn't apologize for things done wrongly is an arrogant piece of garbage, which is exactly what the right wing seems interested in electing as President to exemplify their sense of exceptionalism.

Is it news that America hasn't been #1 in a while?
Is there some race countries are supposed to be participating in?
Is there some reason why whole countries, like childish people, have to have some ridiculous pecking order?
How can anyone claim a desire for peace if they insist on having the word 'better' be a large part of their 'diplomacy'?
Has a rightwinger EVER apologized for doing the wrong thing or, worse, do they not do anything wrong?

Obama's actions in the presence of other world leaders has made America an equal among equals. The actions of his government have not followed suit. The same disrespect and arrogance continues. Any danger isn't going to come from Obama bowing to someone else, it's going to come from the disconnect between his public actions and those of the government he apparently leads.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:13 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
That's b/c these pics are photoshopped.
First off, no they were not, heck I saw some it happen live on tv. Secondly you said you had nothing else to me and any subject, please stick by your word, use the ignore function, I am sure you can fit me in on your long list.
Bye Bye,
Casper

Old 01-18-2011, 09:17 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
WOW! You sure have a lot of time on your hands.
Nope, it took me less than five minutes to find a few nice photos and paste them here for the hypocrites to enjoy.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies