Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,980,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
No one forced them to clap.

Naaaaa.....they only "suggested" it on the Jumbotron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
gimme a break. if he did that, you'd all be posting "The great DICTATOR forces crowd to quiet down. How DARE he try and tell them how to mourn. Just shows you how out of touch and how elitist he is. Typical leftist, always trying to tell everyone how to live their lives."

You have your break. I did write each will draw their own conclusion. Your's merely makes excuses for PBO, mine leaves everyone to make their own decision. I support freedom of thought, your's seeks to force your opinion on others by drawing the conclusion it does here.. No thanks..

Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Do you really think any college kids attending were less effected by the traumatic shooting in their town than the adults in attendance? How arrogant to think young people can't feel every bit as moved by the stories of heroes told at the memorial, of the stories about those who had died. That's what 14,000 people of Tucson was cheering...the inspiring stories of hope and unity.

Methinks you've missed the point in the OP's post.

The White House Press Secretary said that they were surprised by the applause.

The photo of the Jumbotron kind of implies that they actually weren't too surprised.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I am calling the entire event tasteless and tacky....
what we saw and what was held was NOT a memorial service it was a pep rally.

obama doesn't need anyone on this board to lessen his image, he does that fine on his own.
I'll bet you didn't even watch the entire event....just a few carefully edited clips on Fox. Obama's time on the stage was very limited compared to the time taken up by the other speakers. Other speakers who got just as warm response for their words as Obama got.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times
I don't get it, who are you to tell those who were directly impacted by this incident to memorialize or mourn, who are you to tell them how to reflect and mourn? If you listened to every speaker including the Governor you too would have been cheering. Memorials are not always a sad event, but also one of celebration. Where is your condemnation for the applaus that the Governor received?

In New Orleans you have the Jazz bands Marching and dancing down the streets during a funeral, are they ignorant? Is that a liberal only practice?

Claiming Obama used the Memorial as a pep rally or as a pre-campaign, what is the excuse for the Governor? Its pathetic to assume that all 14K in attendance and applauding were all Liberals, Its pathetic that you will continue to choose this tragedy as a means to continue your hateful rants towards liberals and this President. There are so many other news events that you could choose. You have no control over how someone should Memorialize, reflect or mourn a tragedy.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
The good news.....

The AZ boycott must be over.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
So you are calling the people of Tuscon "tasteless and tacky"? No one forced them to clap. No forced them to give all the speakers a warm reception. What is tasteless and tacky is the attempt to lessen Obama's image at the expense of the city of Tuscon who hosting and attended this event.
Yes,it is tasteless and tacky to clap and yell and scream at a memorial for the dead.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Methinks you've missed the point in the OP's post.

The White House Press Secretary said that they were surprised by the applause.

The photo of the Jumbotron kind of implies that they actually weren't too surprised.
I think you and others here are ignoring the fact that a Jumbotron is NOTa teleprompter. It is closed caption technology to broadcast what IS happening. It's not to cue machine for the speaker or crowd on what to do next. In other words, that Jumbotron in the OP photo is not telling Obama to pause for applause. It's saying that the school is now applauding.

JumboTron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-18-2011, 12:00 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
I'll bet you didn't even watch the entire event....just a few carefully edited clips on Fox. Obama's time on the stage was very limited compared to the time taken up by the other speakers. Other speakers who got just as warm response for their words as Obama got.

Well you are incorrect, so good thing you didn't bet, you would've lost.
I did see the entire event...you are taking my words and directing them
at obama as a whole and that is not what I said nor implied. The entire event was a tasteless and tacky dog and pony show.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I don't get it, who are you to tell those who were directly impacted by this incident to memorialize or mourn, who are you to tell them how to reflect and mourn? If you listened to every speaker including the Governor you too would have been cheering. Memorials are not always a sad event, but also one of celebration. Where is your condemnation for the applaus that the Governor received?

In New Orleans you have the Jazz bands Marching and dancing down the streets during a funeral, are they ignorant? Is that a liberal only practice?

Claiming Obama used the Memorial as a pep rally or as a pre-campaign, what is the excuse for the Governor? Its pathetic to assume that all 14K in attendance and applauding were all Liberals, Its pathetic that you will continue to choose this tragedy as a means to continue your hateful rants towards liberals and this President. There are so many other news events that you could choose. You have no control over how someone should Memorialize, reflect or mourn a tragedy.

No problem then!

But just don't act surprised that it was that type of atmosphere.

The fact that the White House is trying to distance itself from the hows, and why's it turned out that way sort of leans towards them knowing it was rather tacky.

That's what this thread is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies