Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:52 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times

Advertisements

Oh the faux outrage is in full swing today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 12:52 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
Whew, thank goodness we have the over-paranoid, phony outrage wingnut crowd to keep this whitehouse in check!

If White House Was Surprised by Applause at Tucson Pep Rally… Why Did They Ask For It On Jumbotron? | The Gateway Pundit (http://gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com/2011/01/if-white-house-was-surprised-at-applause-at-tucson-pep-rally-why-did-they-ask-for-it-on-jumbotron/ - broken link)

or, maybe it was just the CLOSED CAPTIONING of the event...

No "maybe" to it. The still photo of the [applause] sign is definitely closed captioning for the hearing impaired at the rally, reflecting the fact that people are applauding. Your own link explains exactly that,once you get beyond the over-paranoid, phony outrage wingnut headline.

Sheeesh, how pathetic the Right Wing is in this country.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Exactly--because they're kids, they've come face up with the fact they could have been the one who died, and their way of dealing with it is to celebrate life, and reassure themselves that they're ok. I think those kids at the memorial were clapping as much for themselves--that they would get through this together--as they were for any of the speakers. That's a good thing. Not what adults would do, but perfectly appropriate for where kids are at emotionally.
Kids????

They are young adults.

My sixteen year old knew better.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Kids????

They are young adults.

My sixteen year old knew better.
See my post about the Columbine funerals.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:58 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My community did go through this, with Columbine. It was horrible, death, death, death all the time on TV, way more than the rest of the world ever saw. I saw a few clips of funerals where people, often high school students, not even as old as college students, were telling funny stories about the deceased and laughing away. That's how some people grieve.

I used to work for Hospice, and one thing we were constantly being remineded, both from our patients' actions and from our supervisors, is that everyone grieves differently.

Do not mock or criticize.
Were they given fun things like caps and t-shirts???

Old 01-18-2011, 01:03 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I was watching FOX during the memorial service--actually I was flipping channels. They were picking it apart. No other network did that. It was tacky. Even my far right conservative sister was a bit taken back by their response.

I have a house full of teen and tween boys. Teenagers are not always known for being tasteful and appropriate (or at least what adults think is tasteful and appropriate), but I don't think they were trying to be rude, or turn this into a pep rally. Kids that age--even in college--don't have a firm grip in their own mortality. When someone young dies, it isn't just sad--they don't know how to deal with it well, and they respond in one of two ways--they fall apart, or they try to celebrate life. I've seen it happen with kids dying in car accidents here. I think the kids were trying to voice their approval that somehow they'll all get through this, and that they could all pull together as a community, by cheering and clapping,. They were clapping for EVERYONE. Is that so bad?
Weird,I watched it from start to finish and didn't see that during the memorial.

I did see some questioning afterwards of the clapping,screaming and shouting that took place....but then that is out of place at a memorial...well maybe not to tacky people.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Were they given fun things like caps and t-shirts???
Don't know; I didn't go to any. Like I said, mockery is not helpful.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:15 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I'll bet you didn't even watch the entire event....just a few carefully edited clips on Fox. Obama's time on the stage was very limited compared to the time taken up by the other speakers. Other speakers who got just as warm response for their words as Obama got.

You should watch Fox so you would be more informed. Fox News showed the event from beginning to end more than once throughout the day.

The hussein obama machine used this event as a rally. Many in the crowd were young and I do not blame them for their reactions considering it was promoted like a political rally. Traditionally memorial services are a somber event in this country and it is natural for people to be put off by how this one went. Personally I do not think hussein obama himself knew fully what was going on as he also seemed put off by all the cheering and clapping but ended up getting caught up in it himself, which is also understandable.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:17 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Weird,I watched it from start to finish and didn't see that during the memorial.

I did see some questioning afterwards of the clapping,screaming and shouting that took place....but then that is out of place at a memorial...well maybe not to tacky people.
They were calling the blessing peculiar, criticizing the way the kids reacted. I watched the commentary, and then one of my kids called me in to watch Jon Stewart's commentary on it. I rarely watch him, but I thought he nailed it.

Jon Stewart Slams Media For Criticizing Obama AZ Shooting Memorial Service

Last edited by mb1547; 01-18-2011 at 01:45 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 01:17 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Like I said, mockery is not helpful.
Only if it isn't your side doing it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies