Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:51 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times

Advertisements

Therapy might work for some, but I believe that statistics show a high rate of recitivism amongst molesters. However, we do know that putting the offenders in prison disables their abilities to repeat their offenses while they are there, 100%. IMO, this is much safer, and a much more effective means of protecting children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 05:34 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Despite being molested myself, I cannot categorically blame the molesters and propose they be locked up. Many times the victimizers were victimized. That doesn't absolve them of their actions, but I think we need to realize we are all human and not everything we encounter is consciously chosen. The real blame in my mind falls onto our society at large. We all share in allowing such things to happen.
First I'd like to say, thanks so much for your reply and ability to discuss this issue.

I to, was victimized along with many other children. It started when I was 5. And I do agree, we all share in this as a society, b/c we are all connected, and when one suffers, in a lot of ways it effects all of our lives.
Yes, the victimizers were victimized....but so was I and I didn't become a child molester...did you?

Regardless of how hard a criminal's life is, we've all had it tough, some more then others, but that doesn't constitute dismissing the crime and feeling sorry for the criminal...

Quote:
I believe this stuff happens because we are basically all distracted. We think our careers, our possessions, our standing in society, all of these things are important. They aren't. The most important role anyone will play will be that of a parent. For those like myself who don't have children (I'm gay so I won't be having any in this life), our most important job is that of impacting children in constructive ways. While most people might agree somewhat with this assessment, it only appears to work in theory. In practice--at least in our culture--it's extremely difficult to devote our time to our children, to give them the attention they need to grow into maturity. You'd think this failure would be a great incentive to change our ways, but, sadly, we have accepted the notion that other things are more important. Our greedy natures, fostered by years of subliminal advertising that have resulted in destructive consumerism, take precedence over our future generations..
I believe this happens b/c there are people living among us who are criminals...and society doesn't want to admit to themselves that there are flaws and diseased people mentally living among us. We tend to feel more sorry for the abusers then the victims and I want to change that. I'm not advocating hate, but awareness, that what these people are doing is wrong and they are criminals.

Quote:
Most people think that molesters are strangers, but they are not. It's usually a family member or close friend. The problem isn't external to the family, it's internal. That's why my focus on the problem is directed at family issues...
yes, molesters are family members at times, but not always most of the time...you'd probably be shocked to view how many sexual offenders are out there...and live in your town. Who are repeated offenders...who prey upon little children, because children cannot defend themselves.

I understand your compassion, and it is good to be and feel as yourself...but not when criminals are running around free...while the children who have been sexually molested grow up with guilt, embarrassment, fear, and have very little confidence and some, it ruins their lives, their ability to trust men, their right to living a normal life, like people who refuse to become aware of the fact that this is going on. I never did anything to deserve that, did you? I do know that when our laws were more strict, criminals were put away, either in mental hospitals or prisons...our country doesn't want to fund buiding bigger prisions...yet, it is a necessity. Chaos prevails when people utterly ignore these atrocities.

Yes, parenting is very important and a big responsibility. But I bet, if you have a child...your going to be more cautious and protective of that child. I was with my son, and that's why parents have to be made aware and face this problem...this is all about education, education on a very unplesant subject, but one that must be addressed.

Today, July 18th, how many children will fall victim? Why? Because we refuse to deal with these criminals....those children who will be sexually molested today, need your compassion...not the criminals...

Remember, when someone falls victim to a crime, is it b/c we didn't face this issue and because of our lenient judicial system, this criminal was let out to harm again...would you leave a lion out of it's cage? Criminals are animals...they are murders, oportunists, theives, who don't know or realize laws....or believe that laws do not apply to them. Anything goes, and you'd better hope, you never get in their way. They will kill you or worse, for whatever it is they want.

I would like to leave this place a little better then it was when I arrived...therefore, that may mean sacrifice and making decissions for the whole of the people...decissions that are not always popular, but work. Again, I point out, if you find out you have a disease/cancer, you cut it out...well, society is facing a disease, and we must educate our entire system about the importance of obeying the laws, and getting criminals off the streets.

Quote:
Placing people in prisons has never worked before, there's no reason to believe it will now. Unseen and unheard doesn't solve problems. While my view might be idealistic, I see no reason not to think big. One day soon we'll have the opportunity to reinvent our world. Will it be just like this one, or will be start off with..."and now for something completely different"?
I'm not being insulting, but I have one question...how can you say, placing people in prisons has never worked before? On what information do you base that comment on? Thinking big is a good thing, but we have to start small, little by little to accomplish good, and you don't allow someone who is a menace to society to walk the streets free. That's like saying, "Come on in my home, rob me, sexually abuse my kids". It's an open invitation.

When dealing with criminals, you are dealing with a sick mind, one that doesn't understand or even care about compassion...they cannot be rehabilitated. We've got police officers out there trying to protect you and me from people like this and we're paying them to do they're jobs. But, we keep letting these people out of jail, excusing them for even murder, and this is insane. It puts my son's life on the line, as well as every other police officer out there.

Crime in the U.S. is rampid...and sexual molestation is one issue...but we owe it to our children, as responsible adults to make decissions to protect them, don't we?

Once a criminal harms another life, it isn't just about the victim, but the families of the victim's also suffer and they're lives are altered to...for the rest of their lives?

Life isn't always fair, or good, most of the time, it's pretty darn crappy....we can change it, we can make life a little better for those who obey the law...it isn't fair or logical that we ignore these problems and feel more compassion for the criminal.

Frankly in my book, you break the laws, you pay???????? That's what keeps people law abiding citizens.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and listen...even if you don't comment. Thanks, and if you haven't yet read Hoosier guy's voice along with his siter in their thread "Human Trafficking exists in suburbia" I strongly suggest you do...and please buy the book, support these people in their plight, remember this could be your child...it does happen...and will continue to happen unless we all get on the same page.

Thank you
Creme

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-18-2007 at 05:46 AM..

Old 07-18-2007, 07:01 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,155 times
Default Child Molesters and Pedophiles....

Where I reside sexual offenders such as the above mentioned are dealt with harshly and rightfully so. I have been involved in Corrections for many years. I have worked in Prisons and in the Community ie: Parole. These individuals are generally locked up for quite a long time and when they are released they are closely supervised. You can find out who they are and where they live. It is all public information. They must register. Do some slip through the cracks....Unfortunately yes. However, the vast majority are kept under control. Too bad the media doesn't do a better job informing the "Public" on what a good job we do !!

Pedophiles have a high rate of relapse and the prognosis for their "cure" is not very good. I have my own feelings on what should be done to them but then again this would offend people due to the graphic nature of my plan....And no it is not castration.......I am thinking of something much worse.

Child molesters fare somewhat better but not much. I am talking about some of the treatment modalities available. I would have a plan for them also. Again not pleasant !!! They cause scars that last a long long time.

Rapists have the best chance clinically speaking, for recovery. Again these are the statistics. Personally, a rapist who is all about control and violence is every bit as despicable to me as a pedophile. They, like pedophiles and molesters are predators....Essentially terrorists..... They should be dealt with as terrorists are and should be exterminated with extreme prejudice.... The "Law" does not allow me to carry out such plans but the "Law" cannot silence my opinion !!!
Spiritwalker

Old 07-18-2007, 07:40 AM

Thumbs up Spiritwalker

I feel the same way, and it isn't hate, it is fear for our children....how can you take advantage of a little child is beyond me and sick, sick, sick.

thank you for your input.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Therapy might work for some, but I believe that statistics show a high rate of recitivism amongst molesters. However, we do know that putting the offenders in prison disables their abilities to repeat their offenses while they are there, 100%. IMO, this is much safer, and a much more effective means of protecting children.
Again, it's been studied, and rehabilitation for child moldesters is a very very low percentage.

I don't wish anything bad on anyone, but I cannot understand, how people can feel more compassion for a criminal then their victims...to me, that is disloyalty...forgiveness is by all means a very compassionate practice, but not to the point where you excuse behavior as such...to me, it is impossible to excuse an act upon a child...who gives an adult their complete trust....

How dare anyone hurt a child.

Thank you so much I agree with you whole hearidly.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:58 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
I know it's not PC to say this, but I am not against instituting the death penalty for some child molesters, child abusers, and rapists. If they cannot be rehabilitated, then why waste jailspace and tax dollars on them?

Old 07-18-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I know it's not PC to say this, but I am not against instituting the death penalty for some child molesters, child abusers, and rapists. If they cannot be rehabilitated, then why waste jailspace and tax dollars on them?
to keep them from molesting more and more children. Jailspace wouldn't be wasted, and I'd be relieved to know that these animals were taken off the streets and put away where they cannot hurt innocent children...tax dollars or not???? Isn't it worth having safe children.

Tax Dollars? Can you imagine how much we're waisting on repeated offenders, to be arrested, brought up on charges, brought before a judge only to be set free again and again...do you have any idea how much that costs, not to mention, the cost of a police officer's life and mentality toward our judicial system?

Do you know anyone whose had a child who has been molested...
Your question, and I don't mean any insult, would be like saying, you don't care to get the man who molested me off the street. That is hurtful...yet, there are so so many people out there demanding smoking bans???? I do not get the mentality of the American public. You have kids turning up missing being sold into slave trade and prostetution and nobody cares. You have human beings being threatened by gangs...who are not citizens of the U.S. and people keep saying, keep the boarders open....you have crime running rampid, and people are more worried about tax dollars then enforcing our laws...putting hard core criminals away for good...????? Where is the logic.

And I don't worry about being PC...that is another issue that is destroying our nation and it will be our demise.

I believe we have our heads on backwards these days....People are becoming so isolated to what is really going on....

Thanks for allowing me to vent, I am very passonate about this issue, b/c I fear, we are selling our souls down the river by ignoring real problems....

Old 07-18-2007, 08:27 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
to keep them from molesting more and more children. Jailspace wouldn't be wasted, and I'd be relieved to know that these animals were taken off the streets and put away where they cannot hurt innocent children...tax dollars or not???? Isn't it worth having safe children.

Tax Dollars? Can you imagine how much we're waisting on repeated offenders, to be arrested, brought up on charges, brought before a judge only to be set free again and again...do you have any idea how much that costs, not to mention, the cost of a police officer's life and mentality toward our judicial system?

Do you know anyone whose had a child who has been molested...
Your question, and I don't mean any insult, would be like saying, you don't care to get the man who molested me off the street. That is hurtful...yet, there are so so many people out there demanding smoking bans???? I do not get the mentality of the American public. You have kids turning up missing being sold into slave trade and prostetution and nobody cares. You have human beings being threatened by gangs...who are not citizens of the U.S. and people keep saying, keep the boarders open....you have crime running rampid, and people are more worried about tax dollars then enforcing our laws...putting hard core criminals away for good...????? Where is the logic.

And I don't worry about being PC...that is another issue that is destroying our nation and it will be our demise.

I believe we have our heads on backwards these days....People are becoming so isolated to what is really going on....

Thanks for allowing me to vent, I am very passonate about this issue, b/c I fear, we are selling our souls down the river by ignoring real problems....
You misunderstood me. I'm for putting these people to death rather than using up jailspace for those who can be rehabilitated.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:46 AM

ahhhh, yes I did and apologize...sorry...
but not sorry for the words I wrote, meaning, maybe someone will read and it will make a difference???? I dunno

It just seems so sad to me, that out of all these forums, the threads that are most replied to are those that to me, don't see as important as our laws...b/c if laws are set into place and reinforced, then, this place would be safer.

Thanks so much for responding and setting me straight....

Creme

Old 07-18-2007, 08:48 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
You misunderstood me. I'm for putting these people to death rather than using up jailspace for those who can be rehabilitated.
Yeah, I got that and agree...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies