Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 06:27 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,095 times

Advertisements

I was thinking ...
How many non Christians live in Alabama ?
Religion

The religious affiliations of the people of Alabama are as follows:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 06:33 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
First of all, I categorically reject the notion that a person's faith is defined by his politics. Faith in Jesus Christ means just that...faith in Jesus Christ, and whatever party or ideology one subscribes to has nothing at all to do with that. Frankly, I'm sick of those who suppose that a "good" Christian can't possibly be "leftist," or that a leftist is a "bad" Christian, or that a "conservative" is a proper Christian. Jesus doesn't belong to any political party, and when someone tries to draft Him into theirs, they'll meet me in opposition.

You may cling to such false notions if you wish, but don't expect me to validate them for you by arguing the point.

Secondly, and based upon my first comment, the Governor's remarks isn't a left/right, either/or, Christian/heathern issue. He can legitimately be taken to task for the intemperance of his comments (if that's what he actually meant to say in context), but don't make any more of it than that.

To treat it as anything more than the comments of one man, without any evidence that such feelings dictate his official actions as Governor, does nothing but feed the divide and hate. You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to do that.

I absolutely agree with and endorse every single word you have written here.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:38 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
"Speaking on Martin Luther King Jr. Day in the very church where Dr. King once pastored, new Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley gave a speech in which he said that those who have not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior are not his 'brothers.'"

"'Now I will have to say that, if we don't have the same daddy, we're not brothers and sisters,' he said. 'So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister'"

New Alabama Governor: Only Christians Are My Brothers And Sisters | TPMMuckraker

What a great message to the non-Christians who live in Alabama.
Alabama dug up Geo Wallace???

Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,558 times
I think you need to understand that by talking about being "saved" he's leaving out a whole bunch of Christians as well--Catholics, mainline protestants, etc. That's a fundamentalist/evangelical thing--being "born again" or "saved." I'm a devout Christian, and I think I was born just fine the first time. Most people like that mean zero harm, but I think a speech like that coming from the Governor on MLK day was either incredibly dumb, or he was trying to purposely make a statement .

Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
"Speaking on Martin Luther King Jr. Day in the very church where Dr. King once pastored, new Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley gave a speech in which he said that those who have not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior are not his 'brothers.'"

"'Now I will have to say that, if we don't have the same daddy, we're not brothers and sisters,' he said. 'So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister'"

New Alabama Governor: Only Christians Are My Brothers And Sisters | TPMMuckraker

What a great message to the non-Christians who live in Alabama.
jesse jackson makes the same type of statement all the time. When making his speeches he refers to my "brothers and sisters" and he is referring only to blacks inferring that whites are not his brothers and sisters.

Have you ever complained about him?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,475 times
Out of work? head for Alabama wear a BIG CROSS and ask governer for a job.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
There should be no religion in government. If he gave this speech as part of his official duties as governor, he should have kept Jesus out of it. If he keeps this up, the good people of Alabama should initiate a recall action.
Tell that to George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and all the other founding fathers who wrote the Constitution and the declaration of Independence and a lot of other things they wrote.

If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for me and should be good enough for you.

This will probably surprise you:

Bill Text - 111th Congress (2009-2010) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

"HR 3477 IH
111th CONGRESS
1st Session
H. R. 3477
To direct the Architect of the Capitol to acquire and place a historical plaque to be permanently displayed in National Statuary Hall recognizing the seven decades of Christian church services being held in the Capitol from 1800 to 1868, which included attendees James Madison and Thomas Jefferson.
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
July 31, 2009

Mr. GOHMERT (for himself, Mr. BROUN of Georgia, Mr. ADERHOLT, Mr. LAMBORN, Mr. MILLER of Florida, Mr. FORBES, Mr. BOOZMAN, Mr. PENCE, Mrs. BACHMANN, Mr. BURTON of Indiana, Mr. CONAWAY, Mr. JORDAN of Ohio, Mr. FRANKS of Arizona, and Mr. KING of Iowa) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on House Administration

A BILL
To direct the Architect of the Capitol to acquire and place a historical plaque to be permanently displayed in National Statuary Hall recognizing the seven decades of Christian church services being held in the Capitol from 1800 to 1868, which included attendees James Madison and Thomas Jefferson.
  • Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

• This Act may be cited as the `Congressional Hope for Uniform Recognition of Christian Heritage (CHURCH) Act of 2009'.
SEC. 2. ACQUISITION AND DISPLAY OF HISTORICAL PLAQUE RECOGNIZING THE SEVEN DECADES OF CHRISTIAN CHURCH SERVICES BEING HELD IN THE CAPITOL.

• (a) Acquisition- The Architect of the Capitol shall enter into an agreement with a private entity for the design and fabrication of a historical plaque to be permanently displayed in National Statuary Hall recognizing the seven decades of Christian church services being held in the Capitol from 1800 to 1868.
  • (b) Design- The plaque designed and fabricated pursuant to the agreement entered into under subsection (a) shall be of such size and design as may be provided under the terms of the agreement, except that the plaque shall contain the following statement:
    • `The first Christian church services in the Capitol were held when the Government moved to Washington in the fall of 1800. They were conducted in the Hall of the House in the north wing of the building. In 1801, the House moved the church services to temporary quarters in the south wing, called the `Oven', which it vacated in 1804, returning services to the north wing for 3 years. During church services, the Speaker's podium was used as the preacher's pulpit.
    • `Within a year of his inauguration, President Thomas Jefferson began attending church services in the Chamber of the House of Representatives. Throughout his administration (1801-1809), Thomas Jefferson permitted and encouraged church services in executive branch buildings. Sermons regarding the Old and New Testaments of the Bible were even conducted in the Supreme Court chambers while the judicial branch was located in the old north wing of the Capitol.
    • `The term `separation of church and state', not found in the Constitution, was rather first used by Thomas Jefferson in a letter to the Danbury Baptists. Though Jefferson saw no problem with having nondenominational Christian services in government buildings, he affirmed that the Government should not choose an official Christian denomination. The worship services in the Government-owned House Chamber--a practice that continued until after the Civil War--were acceptable to Jefferson because they were nondiscriminatory and voluntary.
    • `President James Madison, the recognized author of the Constitution, followed Jefferson's example. In keeping with Madison's understanding of the first amendment, church services were permitted in the halls of State on Sundays during his administration (1809-1817). However, unlike Jefferson, who rode on horseback to attend church in the Capitol, Madison traveled in a coach pulled by four horses. The services were interrupted in 1814 after the interior was burned by the British and had to be repaired.
    • `Preachers of every Christian denomination preached Christian doctrine in this Chamber. On January 8, 1826, Bishop John England (1786-1842) of Charleston, South Carolina, became the first Catholic clergyman to preach in the House of Representatives. The first woman to preach before the House, and likely the first woman to speak officially in Congress under any circumstances, was the English evangelist, Dorothy Ripley (1767-1832), who conducted a service on January 12, 1806.'.
  • (c) Presentation Ceremony- The Architect of the Capitol is authorized to use National Statuary Hall for a presentation ceremony for the plaque on a date determined by the Architect. The Architect of the Capitol and the Capitol Police Board shall take such action as may be necessary with respect to physical preparations and security for the ceremony.
  • (d) Display- Upon receiving the plaque designed and fabricated pursuant to the agreement entered into under this section, the Architect of the Capitol shall display the plaque permanently in a place of prominence in National Statuary Hall.
SEC. 3. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.

• There are authorized to be appropriated to the Architect of the Capitol such sums as may be necessary to carry out this Act."
END

Old 01-19-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't want to be related to religious bigots.
It's bad enough that they are delusional enough to believe in sky-daddies with absolutely no proof, but to state that I'm related is unthinkable.

I want nothing to do with such perverse and delusional people.
The same old liberal reply. If you don't agree with ME you are (fill in the blank).

Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't want to be related to religious bigots.
It's bad enough that they are delusional enough to believe in sky-daddies with absolutely no proof, but to state that I'm related is unthinkable.

I want nothing to do with such perverse and delusional people.
That's kind of a bigoted statement. Why would you be so divisive?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:05 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Tell that to George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and all the other founding fathers who wrote the Constitution and the declaration of Independence and a lot of other things they wrote.

If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for me and should be good enough for you.
Please quote passages from the Constitution, Declaration of Independence and a lot of other things they wrote that cite the necessity of believing in Jesus in order to be "saved."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies