Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:49 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times

Advertisements

Well if the Governor feels that way maybe he could talk to his sister GOV here in AZ & ask her to stop sentencing those who are poor & need medical help to survive, to certain death.

Ya know since they are brother & sister maybe he will be able to compel her to get some compassion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:00 PM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
There should be no religion in government. If he gave this speech as part of his official duties as governor, he should have kept Jesus out of it. If he keeps this up, the good people of Alabama should initiate a recall action.
Quote:
Please quote passages from the Constitution, Declaration of Independence and a lot of other things they wrote that cite the necessity of believing in Jesus in order to be "saved."
Quote:
Ummm....the poster to whom you were responding was me. Not only did I read the post, I quoted it.

The ignorant statements in this conversation are not coming from me....
Let me see. you posted "There should be no religion in government". I reponded that our forefathers did not agree with that statement and included examples.

Then you post,"the necessity of believing in Jesus in order to be "saved".
I don't believe I ever made that statement nor was that statement made in any of the sources I quoted.

So I don't know where you got it. You are referencing a statement never given.

If I am wrong I surely will apologize. Will you?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Just another reason why the Civil War was a grand mistake. The flakes of the South would have had their theocracy. But it's still not too late for the Confederacy to form their own country. As a Northerner I'd say good riddance!
Lots of nice people live in the South.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,247 times
Quote:
There should be no religion in government. If he gave this speech as part of his official duties as governor, he should have kept Jesus out of it. If he keeps this up, the good people of Alabama should initiate a recall action.

Why does he have to keep religion out of his speeches?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
He doesn't have to keep religion out of it. He just needs to avoid saying that as Governor of Alabama he feels differently about people who are Christian as opposed to people who are not. As the chief executive of the state, it's important that all citizens of the state be assured that their governor will treat them all equally. When he says he think better of Christians than non-Christians, he's casting that equality into doubt.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
He doesn't have to keep religion out of it. He just needs to avoid saying that as Governor of Alabama he feels differently about people who are Christian as opposed to people who are not. As the chief executive of the state, it's important that all citizens of the state be assured that their governor will treat them all equally. When he says he think better of Christians than non-Christians, he's casting that equality into doubt.
What has he done thats not equal?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
What has he done thats not equal?
If you're a Coca-Cola drinker, you're my brother or my sister. If you drink Pepsi, I don't hold you in the same high regard. But I'd like to. All you have to do is switch to Coke.

If you're a Christian, you're my brother or my sister. If you're non-Christian, I don't hold you in the same high regard. But I'd like to. All you have to do is convert.

Governors are elected by the people, and are supposed to represent all the people equally. As Governor, he's saying that he regards Christians differently than non-Christians. And that's inherently unequal.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:57 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Although personally offputting, there's no reason politicians can't talk about religion in speeches.

However, it sends a horrible message to those of different faiths when a governor says "Christians are my people, but non-Christians are not my people. However, they could be my people if they converted to Christianity". For a government to function well and serve its people, the people must have a basic trust in it. To an atheist like myself, such statements from elected officials can seem like the beginning of persecution. I was similarly put off when George H.W. Bush said this:

"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God."

Old 01-19-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Although personally offputting, there's no reason politicians can't talk about religion in speeches.

However, it sends a horrible message to those of different faiths when a governor says "Christians are my people, but non-Christians are not my people. However, they could be my people if they converted to Christianity". For a government to function well and serve its people, the people must have a basic trust in it. To an atheist like myself, such statements from elected officials can seem like the beginning of persecution. I was similarly put off when George H.W. Bush said this:

"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God."

But again if they are not doing anything unequal...Who cares.

Obama says alot of things I think are sickening and not fair but the left doesnt seem to care...So.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:08 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
desert? you need to know we Floridians were never "Southerners" to begin with!
"We Floridians"? I really wish you'd stop speaking for all Floridians, my parents are Floridians and yes, they are Southern. You may speak for people in south FL, but not the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies