Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I think stupid people should be charged for going out in public.

Who determines that? How do they determine that?

If you ask me there is a hell of a lot of stupid people, considering what i see on the tv news, with them trying to navigate cars in ice and snow.

I will admitt driving in conditions like that is a learned skill, but it ain't that hard to learn the basics.

Just because people can buy 4x4 doesn'ty mean they can just drive on ice and snow either, but they think they can, just because.

A lot of things seem to work that way these days. A over weight FAT can BUY a track suit, and think it makes him a athlete.

I do different things in terms of one man sports, and any time I see someone in all brand new gear for said sport, I avoid them as if they had the plauge.

A brand new motorcycle, with a rider in all brand new gear to me means newbie. Just an example.

I have even seen guys in bike gear that don't own a bike. I call them sidewalk commandos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 PM

711 posts, read 1,143,059 times
Yes undoubtedly. They are the ones causing everyone else discomfort by squashing them to bits. Everyone has to pay for their seat and so it stands to reason if you take up two then you pay for two.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:49 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,069,526 times
If they take two seats, they should pay for two seats.

But I gotta tell you, as miserable as I am sitting next to a fat person on an airplane, I am only half as miserable as they are.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:59 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
If they take two seats, they should pay for two seats.

But I gotta tell you, as miserable as I am sitting next to a fat person on an airplane, I am only half as miserable as they are.
Well, maybe you're only half as fat as they are. Big dif. I do not mean to disparage anyone who would use the word fat. Heck, I consider myself fat. What I don't like are words like heavy, obese, pleasingly plump, you get my drift.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, maybe you're only half as fat as they are. Big dif. I do not mean to disparage anyone who would use the word fat. Heck, I consider myself fat. What I don't like are words like heavy, obese, pleasingly plump, you get my drift.
How about "gravitationally enhanced"?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How about "gravitationally enhanced"?
We ALL are gravitationally enhanced with age, sorry.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:24 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Ouch - sorry about your laptop! It seems like most posters on the thread are conflating weight/size with inconveniencing other passengers. IMO, there are a ton of ways that a neighboring passenger can make my flight uncomfortable.Maybe the flight attendants should start handing out "which passenger was most disruptive/inconvenienced the most passengers" ballots at the end of flights and whoever "wins" gets to pay extra fees?
I like that idea! One time my mother offered to sit next to a crying baby, since their original "neighbor" complained... the flight attendant gave her a bottle of wine as she disembarked.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:57 AM

102 posts, read 170,402 times
Yes, you should pay for as many seats as you take up. I recently had a window seat on a 5-hour trip with a very large woman sitting in the middle. She took up almost half of my seat and half of the person sitting near the aisle. It was very uncomfortable and unfair because I'm assuming we all paid good money for our ticket.

I don't know what the exact solution is, for the purpose is not to embarrass or degrade another human being. Maybe there should be a standard model to check the amount of seats necessary, similar to how you have to put your carry-on luggage in the size holder to ensure that it's not over the limit. If you can't fit in the model seat reasonably with the armlifts down, then you should have to purchase an additional seat. (And no, I'm not advocating that people are put through this publicly.)

Old 04-16-2011, 11:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Definitely YES. The last time I flew, the guy next to me (a tad overweight) lifted the armrest and overflowed himself into my seat.

I'm not one to complain but it was too much for me to endure for 2 hours so I lowered that armrest and said "excuse me" to him and kept my arm on it the entire flight. The seats are small enough as it is and I didn't feel like sharing 1/2 of mine.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:33 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,013 times
Yes. If I take up 2 seats, I should pay for 2 seats. And while I am a larger person, I don't take up 2 seats, but if i did, fair is fair.

Is it fair to make someone next to me uncomfortable? no,.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies