Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:14 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,084,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Did I miss the protests with the tea bags on their heads at that time? I had cable then.

The Ron Paul protesters used tea bags to symbolize the Boston Tea Party. It was the media that dubbed them the Tea Party and it stuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 08:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,803,123 times
Basically the mid term elctions have conseqauence as Obama once said.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:47 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Here is a letter from a reader; thought i'd share with you. Could this be the inception of the TEA PARTY movement? (sic) -- From the readers | UAW
Great headline. Great link. Kudos!

Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,478,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There is nothing more moving than a spam chain e-mail.
I almost cried as I read it.
No chain/spam e-mail! My monthly issue of Solidarity.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Uh the Tea Party started during Bush's term.

When will the left ever become more informed?
You may want to update wikipedia. -- here -- Tea Party movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-20-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Written by a member of the UAW?
....and copied and pasted by another UAW member.....

Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
That letter is typical union drivel. Say good bye to Obama you have just 2 years to get it done.
Low on substance and high on rhetoric.....

Old 01-20-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
I guess 52 Months of unemployment under 4.7% and steady growth of the GDP was somehting he feels was a bad thing.

From the UAW......nuff said.

Oh yeah, the pseudo-economy i forgot about that was being hollowed out like a house infested with termites. (Is there another saying for "selective-amnesia"?)

UAW member here --- we can debate on the finer points of labor as it pertains to the economy and its' history in its' entirety. It's up to you.....

Old 01-20-2011, 05:39 AM

37,948 posts, read 17,846,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Oh yeah, the pseudo-economy i forgot about that was being hollowed out like a house infested with termites. (Is there another saying for "selective-amnesia"?)

UAW member here --- we can debate on the finer points of labor as it pertains to the economy and its' history in its' entirety. It's up to you.....
Yep, Bush presided over Congress when the policies were set in place for our demise. If a fantastic meal is spoiled by food poisoning caused by the cooks bad prep skills does the cook still get credit?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:49 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,164,591 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
And why can't gays have civil marriages yet? They have blocked their marriages numerous times. It is completely unconstitutional and must not only be corrected by taking down the Defense of Marriage Act but to allow them to marry in some civil form in every state; they must also announce a deep and heartfelt public apology to the gay community for this stratification and then extend an olive branch to the top gay leaders (if there are any).
Gay people can get married every single day of the week. What they cannot do is marry someone of the same sex. So your observation that they cannot "marry" is inexact.

I am all for a civil union for gay couples, with all the rights and responsibilities that opposite sex couples receive when married.

It is a states issue, not a federal issue as far as I am concerned. If a state wishes to allow it, fine. If a state doesn't want it, again, fine. That's the WHOLE REASON we have separate states, because each can enact their own laws, differing from each other, and people can move and inhabit the states with laws most closely aligned to their way of life and beliefs.

Now, as for the rest of the Union rep's ranting letter,

4 of those 8 years, we had a Democratically controlled House of Representatives, and Senate. Nothing happens without their consent, so the idea that everything that happened for 8 years is the fault of George Bush is disingenuous at best.

Additionally, if one looks at what happened during his Presidency, the economy faltered after the democratically controlled congress forced through the increase in minimum wage. At that time, both artificially inflating the wages of some, and deflating the wages of everyone else who was already making more than minimum wage, this started the fall of the economy. Add to that all the people who banks were forced to provide home loans to that couldn't afford these loans, when their earnings went south, so did the housing market, as it was already unsustainable, adding the proverbial feather caused the camel's back to break.

Lastly, I think the only good union, is a credit union. While in the past they helped out, now all they do is push through unsustainable wage and benefits packages that are causing the downfall of the many companies.

A good example is Northwest Airlines, as they were forced into bankruptcy. In 2005 they started asking for concessions from the unions because they were losing money left and right. Below is the article, in bankruptcy, trying to re-organize so that the airline remains viable and people have jobs, unions are still trying to go on strike and force everyone to lose their jobs, Stupid.

Appeals court upholds Northwest Airlines strike ban - USATODAY.com

Boeing Busts the Union (BA)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies