Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post

I dont agree with: Food!!! Been there, try the food and theres no way theres the best food in the world, au contraire (Poirot would say) the food taste is actually quite artificial, i dont think it can compite with nations that have amazing cuisine and flavours. Even Argentinian food is so much better. Come try a streak, an ice cream and a pizza down here and then come back to me.

What ??? Where have you been in the USA?

I've traveled all over the world, including Argentina, and my opinion is you can get as good or better food in the USA quite easily. I did enjoy steaks in Argentina, but not better than the US.

Hopefully, you are not judging our food by our chain restaurants. If so, I would agree with you. Chain restaurant food is not good here in the USA or anywhere in the world for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 10:07 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No. My Harley is in a class of it's own. Almost everyone who buys a rice burner does so because they can't afford a Harley.
Having owned exclusively rice and pasta burners, I couldn't disagree more. Harleys excel at being Harleys, of course - and peace be upon that, for those who are into that. (I rented one, once. Not my cup of sunshine. Plus, the mirror rattled off.) It's a great brand, but the actual motorcycles are lacking in a lot of areas where other marques deliver.

Do you think anyone riding a liter-class sportsbike secretly longs for a Milwaukee V-twin? Of course not, because Harley doesn't deliver the power/weight ratio or the handling or the braking power.

Any enduro riders wanting to swap their BMW GS bikes for - well, what? Don't see many Harleys on the unpaved roads.

As for long distances, speaking for myself, I'd certainly take a Honda ST1300 over most US products. (Just kidding. I'll ride my VFR 800.)

Ah, you say, but what about soul? - what about passion, legacy, class - in a word, panache? To which I say: Italian. Ducati, Aprilia, Agusta, all deliver style and distinction - at a price, of course. But they're also good motorcycles - they move, they handle, they stop, and they sound bloody awesome.

Hell, even the Brits make bikes that look bad-ass and still manage to deliver an inspiring ride.

Harley has an iconic name and a proud company history, that's nothing to sneeze at. But I'll question the company's claim on delivering particularly outstanding motorcycles. Good ones, popular ones, sure. It's just that I don't see where they excel.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:27 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I dont agree with: Food!!! Been there, try the food and theres no way theres the best food in the world, au contraire (Poirot would say) the food taste is actually quite artificial, i dont think it can compite with nations that have amazing cuisine and flavours. Even Argentinian food is so much better. Come try a streak, an ice cream and a pizza down here and then come back to me.
Comparing food is always hard. I think the US excels in fusion cuisines - Tex-Mex, Pacific Rim, I'm sure there's a Korean-Armenian restaurant somewhere that makes a mean Kimchi Boereg - and having been transplanted to California, I'll gladly say that there's amazing ingredients, produce etc. to be had. (And the wine. And the beer!)

On the other hand, in France and Italy I've had some "Oh, wow!" experiences in an out-of-the-way inn with a hand-written menu - something I rarely encounter in the US. Good meals, robust meals, sure. But I've rarely been left flabbergasted.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:55 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
Obesity

Old 05-27-2011, 10:57 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Always is a really long time.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Since the recession I been hearing talk about America no longer the greatest country, but I think there are certain areas of life I think we'll always be 2nd to none.

1. Television
2. Food
3. Athletes
4. Trucks and Motorcycles
5. Music
6. Evangelism
7. Financial Products

did I miss any?
Prison population
Murder rate

Old 05-27-2011, 11:56 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Since the recession I been hearing talk about America no longer the greatest country, but I think there are certain areas of life I think we'll always be 2nd to none.

1. Television
2. Food
3. Athletes
5. Music
6. Evangelism
7. Financial Products
1. Television -Really? Considering 50% of American TV consists of rip-offs of British TV... America does seem to be strong in this field with the popularity of some of its shows, but I think it has serious competition for #1 status

2. Food. -Given its vastness, America does compete against individual nations in diversity and quality. Hell, Napa combined with the Hudson Vally alone could compete favorably against many 'food nations' both for production and culinary quality. If you are talking about typical diets, the average American diet falls far short.

3. Athletes -I don't know. Considering we have a huge population from which to select our athletes, our Olympic performances, while outstanding individually, are lacking on the national scale. There are countries with half the population that get as many medals.

4. Trucks & Motorcycles -American trucks rule. So does Toyota, though if the number I see on the road is any indication even here in American 'truck country'.

5. Music -For inventing and exporting new styles of music, yes. For internationally appreciated pop music, I think America falls behind Britain.

6. Evangelism -hardly. Many African nations are by far, far, far, more evangelistic. In fact, except for the 700Club, I have had about 15 minutes of exposure to over-the-top Christian evangelists in my life.

7. Financial Products -?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:20 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Waging wars all around the world.

Giving away American taxpayer's dollars to other nations and foreigners who hate us.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
Quote:

1. Television
2. Food
3. Athletes
5. Music
6. Evangelism
7. Financial Products

did I miss any?
1. Television- Quantity yes. Quality questionable.
2. Food- For mixture of cultures, etc. yes. For quality, no.
3. Athletes- China is saying something about this.
4. Trucks and Motorcycles- Trucks no. Motorcycles perhaps.
5. Music- Quantity yes. Quality no.
6. Evangelism- No by a long shot. American evangelism drives people away from their religion which is a loss. Islamic evangelism is driving people to Islam.
7. Financial Products- Even Canada is better.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:07 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Having owned exclusively rice and pasta burners, I couldn't disagree more. Harleys excel at being Harleys, of course - and peace be upon that, for those who are into that. .

That's the nice thing about this country....we have choices.

I've ridden two Harley's for more than ten years and have no complaints. The quality is outstanding.

I know people who own "Hardly Davidsons".... and wish they could afford a Harley, so I know there are many in that category. Honda makes a Harley look alike at half price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies