Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:35 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
But no other motorcycle has the class and tradition of Harley Davidson, not even Triumph (which is the 2nd best bike in the world)
Class and tradition is nice, but if the claim is that "US motorcycles are number 1", shouldn't we also pay at least some attention to motorcycle characteristics like speed, acceleration, power, handling? Looks, even? Innovation, perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:46 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
America's Three Stooges will always be number one.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:30 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Institutional racism
KKK Memberships
Rednecks with guns
Invading and fighting wars
Institutional Racism -While this has been a serious problem in America, much of Asia and Africa make the U.S. look like a 24/7 kumbaya party. There is probably no other country in the world with the exception of some of our peers in Europe where someone with radically different looks, religion, language, and customs can come and be a success with minimal interference.

KKK membership -American phenomenon, therefore not applicable to this discussion. As said above, if you mean racist organizations, Russia is near the top if not firmly atop this.

Rednecks with guns -If rednecks must be White by definition, then you are probably correct. If redneck is being used as a generic term for illiterate, suspicious country people who will shoot (or at least threaten) unfamiliar people, then a lot of places in the Americas, Africa, and Asia are serious contenders for this one. Mexico, where banditry and highwaymen who target wealthy Whites (Mexican and foreigners) far outshines the U.S. in this regard.

Invading and fighting wars -Yup, America is definitely #1 on this for the present.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:10 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
obesity

Old 05-29-2011, 03:46 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Class and tradition is nice, but if the claim is that "US motorcycles are number 1", shouldn't we also pay at least some attention to motorcycle characteristics like speed, acceleration, power, handling? Looks, even? Innovation, perhaps?
Potato, potato, potato!

http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/law/st_...101_potato.wav

Old 05-29-2011, 04:23 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Golf courses.

Food production.

Music.

Innovation.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:41 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Well we can lie about HD I guess. I wouldn't be caught calling it all American. It was, and was if s the key word now. I had 2 74's there were, another key word, were.

These days the fenders are made in Mexico, the carbs and injection are made in Japan, the wiring harness are German made. A real HD has a cast iron engine, that is not rubber mounted.

However, they are building perhaps the finest cruiser bike one can own, and seling a dream / life style very well. I have a problem right there. The dammned chinese junk, and the ken and barbie sets. I am not the type to buy into a brand name for shirts, jackets boots, underwear, sun glasses, cherry friggin coffee tables, and the myraid of junk and crap with HD logo on it.

I have one HD logo on my jacket, it's broken wings. Someone ELSE bought them for me and that dammned patch was made in you guessed it Red Commie China, but I still wear it, since I earned it. I still pray HD does well enough they don't end up building the bikes in India. I like the icon and the idea of How America USED to be still and very much. I am glad in someways that idea is being sold.

To me it means, maybe, some young guy who owned 6 foreign bikes first and is looking thru rose tinted glasses, that just maybe he has some valid American Values. I frigging Hope So!

Triumph being 2nd best is very debatable... I owned a mess of them in Bonnies. BSA, Enfield, Atlas, Norton, and event a Trident. The newer ones are their best of there ever best, but still they tend to have finiky moments.

If anyone wants we can swap Lucas Jokes

Old 05-29-2011, 04:55 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
America will never be beaten in!

1, Hot air coming from every direction. The left the right and inbetween.

2, Neverending complaining about everything imaginable.

3, Institutionalized exageration, media, books, politics, movies. Everything is portrayed as bigger, better, worser, richer, poorer, sexier, eviler, gooder and badder than it is in reality.

4,The carney culture of, "there is a sucker born every minute". It pervades everything in life from investment schemes to snake oil cure all remedies. Evangalists that are out and out crooks, politicians that promise the sun the moon and the starts. Americans fall for them every time.

5, No country will ever equal the natural beauty and wonder of America. It's impossible. There might be some that are equal in one area or another but not close in the huge diversity of American natural beauty.

6, Last one. I don't think there will ever be a country that gives as much to the poor and the hungry the disposessed. Those effected by natural disasters, plagues, wars and other clamities.
PS, As long as they are foreigners and not Americans.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:00 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
America will never be beaten in!

1, Hot air coming from every direction. The left the right and inbetween.

2, Neverending complaining about everything imaginable.

3, Institutionalized exageration, media, books, politics, movies. Everything is portrayed as bigger, better, worser, richer, poorer, sexier, eviler, gooder and badder than it is in reality.

4,The carney culture of, "there is a sucker born every minute". It pervades everything in life from investment schemes to snake oil cure all remedies. Evangalists that are out and out crooks, politicians that promise the sun the moon and the starts. Americans fall for them every time.

5, No country will ever equal the natural beauty and wonder of America. It's impossible. There might be some that are equal in one area or another but not close in the huge diversity of American natural beauty.

6, Last one. I don't think there will ever be a country that gives as much to the poor and the hungry the disposessed. Those effected by natural disasters, plagues, wars and other clamities.
PS, As long as they are foreigners and not Americans.

I hope your correct, but wonder. If we are it will be from with in, not anyone as a enemy other than US. As I see the Govt is dividing US, and has been a very long time.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:15 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
America will always be number for christian loonies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies