Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 AM

59,018 posts, read 27,290,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh yea. Which districts are those?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
He already admitted he has no idea. Just made it up as a broad platitude. Didn't even look to see whether there's any correlation to this particular district.

Angry amateur night.
You are both wrong. When both of my kids played sports in youth ball and high school the wearing of jewelery was forbidden. It is a safety issue. Nothing more.

Being you are calling me a liar, and making juvenile comments why don't YOU do some research to back up your assertions. It is not job to it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:04 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Quote:
1. You have absolutely no evidence for this claim.
Only:
1 Human nature
2 The lure of easy money, and
3 The litigation-happy atmosphere of our country

Quote:
2. Do any of you find it ironic that you will scream and shout for freedom and "don't tread on me", but are the FIRST to complain when other people seek and receive freedom?

This is the equivalent of a governing body removing a regulation to let people take personal responsiblity, and yet you all contradict your core values because they're Muslim. Hypocrites.
This isn't about freedom or government regulation. This is about an elite protected class of people, Muslims, getting preferred treatment and an exemption from a rule that everyone else has to follow. We've seen it before with taxi drivers refusing to allow blind people with helper dogs into their cabs and the city, instead of forcing teh cabbies to accept the handicapped, immediatly suggested setting up a system where customers could be informed of which cabs accepted dogs and which didn't. We've seen it before with Muslim checkout clerks refusing to scan bacon. We are not dhimimis in this country and Muslims do not get special treatment.
ونحن لن تقدم

Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Do you realize you're forcing your beliefs on people in a way that undermines the core reason they wear them in the first place? I grew in a very religiously diverse environment, so perhaps I don't have this "my way or the highway" view that seems so prevalent on here from people raised in a much more isolated, homogenous culture that didn't expose them to different worldviews.
I think you are assuming way to much in my post. My concern is ONLY safety. It has nothing to do with beliefs. I only used the crucifix and St. Christopher's necklaces as an example. When my kids played youth ball and high school sports many kids wore them. NO JEWELRY AT ALL was allowed. No earing's, no gold necklaces, no ankle bracelets, etc. Nothing, period.

Let's say a girl running down the basketball court has her headpiece come loose and falls to the floor. Another girl is right behind her and slips on the headpiece breaking her leg. Can you now see the reasoning of not allowing such head wear?

I have seen kids slip on jewelery on a basketball floor. Luckily only minor scrapes and bruises incurred. So we banned all jewelery at practices also.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Too religiously tolerant for you?
Just the opposite in MD

Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It's not part of the uniform. Suppose boy basketball players want to wear the little round hats
Are you talking about yarmulkes? If so, many of the boys in our synagogue's youth basketball league wore them... never caused a problem, even when we played against the Catholic league.

A truly religious (Jewish) man will only remove his yarmulke to sleep, shower & swim - but they don't get as many public complaints, I guess because it's less "blatant" than a hijab or burka. Who cares? Let her wear it if she wants, as long as the parents take responsibility for any mishaps! And to the OP, who speculated they'd sue anyway, that's why legal contracts were invented. If her parents sign one, they would have no grounds on which to sue.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Quote:
You're a strong supporter of the nanny state in which we use regulation and governing bodies to keep people from hurting themselves. That's fine. I'm not much of a liberal, but I guess someone has to be. I prefer to stand for personal responsibility and freedom of religion, as guaranteed in our founding documents.
The schools want the regulations so they won't be sued.

A few million dollars, paid to someone who gets their nose broken into 50 little pieces (because they can't see) and requires numerous surgeries to replace all the cartilidge and bones, so they don't look like a basketball) can really hurt a small school.

I say, let her play, she'll be funny to watch.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
At least you admit freedom of religion and expression are core liberal values. That's a big step for you!
Do you want to play the insult game? I am really good at it.

"
"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne "

Last edited by Quick Enough; 01-20-2011 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-20-2011, 09:22 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, they bent forwards.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Are those rules in effect in this particular school district?

Also - how come I never see outrage over Christian nuns covered from head to toe on here? I just don't understand the hypocrisy. Makes it hard to believe it's anything more than bigotry.
Do those nuns wear their uniforms over or under their religious clothes? I can't say I have ever seen any nuns playing a basketball game.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
People wear additions to uniforms all the time - an armband, a wristband, a headband, gloves, a tribute to a lost person, goggles... I suspect you don't understand much about Islam to make the last statement.
How many of the things you mention are not tight against the skin of the player? Oh well an armband that breaks probably wouldn't trip other players so they may not be so dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies