Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:37 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Death Panels DO exist.
Lets discuss: Could you explain how death panels work? When did they come into existence? Which death panel are you talking about? What was its function?

Recently, Jan Brewer, the governor of Arizona, signed into law that disallowed many people from receiving treatment. Is that the kind of death panel you're talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:40 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Toning down the lies would be nice. Pointing out when they occur, will continue.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:44 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Lets discuss: Could you explain how death panels work? When did they come into existence? Which death panel are you talking about? What was its function?

Recently, Jan Brewer, the governor of Arizona, signed into law that disallowed many people from receiving treatment. Is that the kind of death panel you're talking about?
Yep, but run by the feds. There will be a panel of people that decide if you get treatment or not depending on your age. It IS IN THE BILL! It's called "end of life counseling". You know, where they tell you that you have no options but to drop dead and here is how we can help you out with it.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
While using the term Nazi was not in the best of taste, he is trying to make a point about propaganda which I do agree with. Make up a lie then repeat it over and over until it becomes truth in the mind of the weak.
You seem to be forgetting that both sides of the political spectrum use propaganda. It is hardly the exclusive province of Nazis. (See Moore, Michael.)

Old 01-19-2011, 02:49 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times
Quote:

What people are now denied what treatment? Do tell.

As to 'death panels', ask a British friend what a 'Quality Adjusted Life Year' is and how it works.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
What people are now denied what treatment? Do tell.

As to 'death panels', ask a British friend what a 'Quality Adjusted Life Year' is and how it works.
Let us stick with America. Then answer my questions as asked. If you can't do that, but would rather stick to a talking point, then I will have to assume you're not capable of participating in a discussion I'd hoped for.

As for the do tell, I CAN safely assume you weren't aware of this. Is this what you call death panels? No?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Yep, but run by the feds. There will be a panel of people that decide if you get treatment or not depending on your age. It IS IN THE BILL! It's called "end of life counseling". You know, where they tell you that you have no options but to drop dead and here is how we can help you out with it.
And, as I expected, you skipped the questions and straight onto the right wing talking points. My questions were very specific. Try again.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:06 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
The guy was a little over the top on the Nazi aspect, but we all have seen the power of repeated lies.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:31 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Is it mandatory? Is this 'counseling' conducted by anyone other than one's doctor? Who is this panel? And where exactly is that addressed in the health care bill?

Here is what I know was going to be in the bill: payment via Medicare to doctors who spent time with their patients reviewing options for care in the event of a catastrophic event.

As for the OP, I think the wording was in very poor taste, particularly coming so soon after the equally inappropriate use of 'blood libel.'

Unfortunately, it has entered the mainstream and is bandied about as shorthand by people on both sides of the aisle and seemingly translated to refer to any lie repeated often enough by those with some sort of authority that is willingly believed by those whose rational minds should tell them otherwise (see above).

What I find really interesting, reading through the responses, is the usual automatic condemnation by those on the right who apparently have the shortest memories in the history of mankind. How many who defended Newt Gingrich and/or Rush Limbaugh (and others) when they used it to describe the President are offended now?
The hypocrisy is beyond belief.

A perfect example of what Cohen is referring to:Health Care Reform Claim From Republicans Appears Shaky

We all know that there are many people who are taking the Rs word as gospel on this issue even though, rational minds would question how is it that the CBO's numbers are factual enough to be used in this instance but inaccurate with regard to the long term benefits and deficit reduction, particularly when they come from the same report?
Just can't have it both ways.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:19 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Let us be honest. Nobody is going to tone down political rhetoric. It will take a lot more to instill some sanity into the political landscape. And a thread like this is represents more of the same.
Hey - I'm a defender of this - it is free speech. I am not responsible for the questionable sanity of others. It shows who they are - in that they invoke these images in the effort to pass their viewpoint.

If crimes are committed - punish the criminal unless it's an issue of treason.

I am just pointing out the hypocrisy - and will continue to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies