Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: The west coast is the least racist part of America.
Agree 123 37.39%
Disagree 206 62.61%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 PM

82 posts, read 121,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
Which is kind of the reason so many whites are moving to these areas, to get away from the blacks/hispanics in their former areas. Seems to be one of the motivators for many of the Californians and Southerners moving to Oregon/Washington.
Whites are and were a victim of racist violence in the city of LA and have been for decades. When I grew up in Long Beach a common Saturday night ritual would consist of Blacks going to Lakewood to "jack" or rob the white kids of their bikes,and skateboards.

Not to mention this incident here:

http://www.jewishjournal.com/opinion..._case_20070216

But I guess when Hispanics set upon retaliation due to hundreds of incidents like this its racist. I don't think those whites in Washington and Oregon have much to complain about since they like little cowards never stood their ground and instead brought down heat on their selves by siccing the dogs {police} into black, brown neighborhoods.

If they were forced to move farther west its because for years they hid behind an army of racist cops who were of their same color. Naturally since those cops were armed and charged people protecting themselves with assault on an officer, opportunities of chance such as white teenage boys in county jails and high schools became the targets. Bottom line.....I feel no sympathy for them. Nor do I believe they are just innocents, they reaped what their people sowed and if it took Reginald Denny and few others to wake them up and make them leave so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 AM

716 posts, read 1,237,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicosal13 View Post
Whites are and were a victim of racist violence in the city of LA and have been for decades. When I grew up in Long Beach a common Saturday night ritual would consist of Blacks going to Lakewood to "jack" or rob the white kids of their bikes,and skateboards.

Not to mention this incident here:

http://www.jewishjournal.com/opinion..._case_20070216

But I guess when Hispanics set upon retaliation due to hundreds of incidents like this its racist. I don't think those whites in Washington and Oregon have much to complain about since they like little cowards never stood their ground and instead brought down heat on their selves by siccing the dogs {police} into black, brown neighborhoods.

If they were forced to move farther west its because for years they hid behind an army of racist cops who were of their same color. Naturally since those cops were armed and charged people protecting themselves with assault on an officer, opportunities of chance such as white teenage boys in county jails and high schools became the targets. Bottom line.....I feel no sympathy for them. Nor do I believe they are just innocents, they reaped what their people sowed and if it took Reginald Denny and few others to wake them up and make them leave so be it.
Florida's got to be the leader in black on white homicide, robbery, etc. most of the murders are for nothing. don't know what you meant by " they deserve what they get".

Old 12-30-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
Which is kind of the reason so many whites are moving to these areas, to get away from the blacks/hispanics in their former areas. Seems to be one of the motivators for many of the Californians and Southerners moving to Oregon/Washington.
I'd think about moving there if the weather was better.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:40 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,725 times
Theres alot of exagerrations going on in this thread. But truth be told The West Coast is the most intergrated part of the US. Go to a Rust Belt city in the Midwest, and the Black parts of the city is 100% Black or and the White 100% White. Some Blacks on the East Coast have rarely seen aa non Black person.

Racism on the West Coast is more multicultural than just Black/White. But most of it.towards Mexicans and "Illegals". Koreans have an animosity towarfs Blacks. Bust.most dislike of Blacks on the West Coast.is from the Ghetto Mentality. Non Ghetto Blacks are actually well intergrated, smilar.to the Urbam South.

In Oakland. Blacks, Mexicans, Asians, Samoans all roll with each other and are cool with each other for the most part. And Seattle is the.most intergrated.city Ive seen in the US. The Blacks in Seattle soundvthe most mainstream of any Black population in the U

The Black/Mexican tension is mostly between ggangs. The average Black/Mexican is more tolerant of each other as we udually live in the same neighborhoods.

And theres more freedom for Blacks on the West Coast to not conform to the ghetto stereotype. A lot of West Coast Blacks would get clowned on by East Coast amf Deep South Blacks.

But there is still structural discrimination, especially being stopped by the police for Walking or Driving while Black. But compated to other parts of the US. The West Coast is.more intergrated.

Last edited by hipcat; 01-17-2013 at 03:01 AM..

Old 01-17-2013, 10:17 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
There's a lot of exaggerations going on in this thread. But truth be told The West Coast is the most integrated part of the US. Go to a Rust Belt city in the Midwest, and the Black parts of the city is 100% Black or and the White 100% White. Some Blacks on the East Coast have rarely seen a non Black person.

Racism on the West Coast is more multicultural than just Black/White. But most of it.towards Mexicans and "Illegals". Koreans have an animosity towards Blacks. Bust.most dislike of Blacks on the West Coast.is from the Ghetto Mentality. Non Ghetto Blacks are actually well integrated, similar to the Urban South.

In Oakland. Blacks, Mexicans, Asians, Samoans all roll with each other and are cool with each other for the most part. And Seattle is the.most integrated.city Ive seen in the US. The Blacks in Seattle sound are the most mainstream of any Black population in the U

The Black/Mexican tension is mostly between gangs. The average Black/Mexican is more tolerant of each other as we usually live in the same neighborhoods.

And there's more freedom for Blacks on the West Coast to not conform to the ghetto stereotype. A lot of West Coast Blacks would get clowned on by East Coast and Deep South Blacks.

But there is still structural discrimination, especially being stopped by the police for Walking or Driving while Black. But compared to other parts of the US, The West Coast is more integrated.
Totally agree with this. When many people reference racism on the West Coast, most of them will use either SF and LA/OC as examples. I agree that those two areas tend to be the most racist places out west, but remember that most of the (current) inhabitants of those cities are East Coast and Midwest transplants. Thanks Carpetbaggers[/sarcasm]! But take any other major city out west like the East Bay towns, San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver, Albuquerque, Phoenix, and especially Tacoma and Seattle, and those cities would kill any East Coast, Midwest, and Southern city in the category of blacks being seen as and allowing to be INDIVIDUALS and not some ghetto stereotype, as well as genuine integration - not that BS facade of "diversity" and "multiculturalism" - but real integration.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
Totally agree with this. When many people reference racism on the West Coast, most of them will use either SF and LA/OC as examples. I agree that those two areas tend to be the most racist places out west, but remember that most of the (current) inhabitants of those cities are East Coast and Midwest transplants. Thanks Carpetbaggers[/sarcasm]! But take any other major city out west like the East Bay towns, San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver, Albuquerque, Phoenix, and especially Tacoma and Seattle, and those cities would kill any East Coast, Midwest, and Southern city in the category of blacks being seen as and allowing to be INDIVIDUALS and not some ghetto stereotype, as well as genuine integration - not that BS facade of "diversity" and "multiculturalism" - but real integration.
most of those cities have a very small % of blacks. Maybe that's why they "aren't as ghetto".

Old 01-19-2013, 04:17 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Shucks. I've heard Californians say things about Mexicans that I've never heard a white Southerner dare say about a black person.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:37 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
At this point I wouldn't call any region of the USA the "least racist"... we live in a racist country. That's the reality.

That being said, the city where I feel least affected by racism and get the feeling that others who don't look like me share the same sentiment is Oakland.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,883,900 times
We all know that so many Calfornians are fleeing to Oregon (Portland) and Washington (Seattle) because of the higher-percent of white populations. It's pretty much ingrained in the minds of Californians that the whiter a city, the nicer it is (and the less white, the less desirable). That's why black-majority or Hispanic-majority cities in SoCal instantly get classified as "ghetto". Compton, South Central LA, Parts of Long Beach, San Bernardino, etc.

The unfortunate reality of the City Data forums is that the cities that most often get praised have a mostly-"white" culture, have higher white populations, etc. People glorify grand cities in Europe but how many people on these forums glorify big cities in South America, India, the Middle East, Africa, etc. Most people who write here hardly know a thing about any city besides those in N. America or Europe.

We live in a very racist culture and our perceptions about cities in general are inseparable from the "whiteness" and "color" of the general populations of those cities. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules here, but a discussion on race is always the white elephant in the room when people discuss city populations.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:43 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
At this point I wouldn't call any region of the USA the "least racist"... we live in a racist country. That's the reality.

That being said, the city where I feel least affected by racism and get the feeling that others who don't look like me share the same sentiment is Oakland.
We live in a racist country?! We have our problems...but other than Europe, Canada or Australia I do not see most parts of the world being as welcoming to so many different cultures as the US! I did a study abroad program in Nicaragua, run by an American expatriate. He told me, the decision for one American to live there full-time was controversial enough. He then caused even more controversy by marrying a local girl. One white American living there and one inter-racial marriage caused controversy! Imagine large numbers of white Americans flooding into Nicaragua! I am not trying to start controversy or make any other points...I am just saying looking at the big picture, the United States is one of the least racist countries. No country is immune, so I am not saying we do not have our racial problems. I am just saying that it is definitely lesser than in Latin America, Africa, Middle East and Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies