Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: The west coast is the least racist part of America.
Agree 123 37.39%
Disagree 206 62.61%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:48 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times

Advertisements

Hate Crime Stats in 2009 by Midwestern State

1. South Dakota: 1 in 19,342
2. Nebraska: 1 in 23,034
3. Kansas: 1 in 23,104
4. Michigan: 1 in 31,751
5. Minnesota: 1 in 34,420
6. Ohio: 1 in 38,864
7. North Dakota: 1 in 46,203
8. Missouri: 1 in 48,287
9. Illinois: 1 in 100,081
10. Wisconsin: 1 in 104,718
11. Indiana: 1 in 116,784
12. Iowa: 1 in 167,103

Ohio and Indiana aren't even the highest in the Midwest, and nationally, it's not even close.

Anyone else have any anecdotal evidence I can destroy with facts?

Last edited by jbcmh81; 01-26-2011 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 05:20 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Kenneth Blackwell and GWB in Ohio in 2004, there's no way that MN would have stood for something like that going down.
My own personal experiences in Indiana.
Care to elaborate?

Old 01-26-2011, 05:45 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Even though least racist, is not the same as not racist....
I would say that could very well be true.
Spokane, back in the late 80's, elected a black mayor, when the city was not even 2% black at the time.
7 of the 10 top spots for interracial marriages are on the West Coast (or the West anyway).
The most intergrated cities, are towns out West, like Oakland and Tacoma,
plus, there's not a sad history or checkered past of race relations on the West Coast, like there has been in the South or even the Rust Belt and NYC.
I've lived out here for about 13 years (grew up back east though).....you have the weather of the South, without the racism and you have the open minds that you find in the Northeast (even though the NE is not as open minded), but without the cold and snow.....

would prefer to stay out here, but when all the extended family is back east, makes it hard at times.
Given that the Hispanic population is probably larger or at least the same as the black population on the west coast, I would say much of the ire is probably redirected towards them. For some reason in this country, it's completely cool to be racist against Hispanics. It's something whites and blacks can join in together and do. I witness it fairly frequently in the workplace and am often surprised that people don't at least try to be more discrete .

Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
Given that the Hispanic population is probably larger or at least the same as the black population on the west coast, I would say much of the ire is probably redirected towards them. For some reason in this country, it's completely cool to be racist against Hispanics. It's something whites and blacks can join in together and do. I witness it fairly frequently in the workplace and am often surprised that people don't at least try to be more discrete .
Makes no sense at all for Blacks and Hispanics not to get along, since, except for hangings and the treatment of blacks in the South, their racial experiences in the USA are not that much different.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Wait, when did Indiana and Ohio suddenly become racism hotbeds?

Oh I don't know... I'm sure the KKK headquarters in Martinsville IN was really just a hoax

Old 01-27-2011, 12:55 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Oh I don't know... I'm sure the KKK headquarters in Martinsville IN was really just a hoax
I guess you didn't see my post above on hate crime stats. Indiana is near the bottom. Oops!

And the KKK, really? They're pretty much a joke even in their own ranks. Does anyone even take them seriously?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post

If anything, Hispanics - Mexicans, Dominicans and El Salvadoreans in particular - are bringing their anti-black attitudes with them from Latin America. In some ways racism in Latin America is worse at this point... down there, your color = your caste, whites being at the top and blacks/Native Americans at the bottom. The only ones lower than them on the totem pole are those unfortunate enough to be the offspring of a black and a Native American... typically lighter Mexicans are in the middle of this racial-economical hierarchy. In their country they're in the same position as middle class whites were in America in the 50's.

As a black male I became aware of all of the above by going to an all Hispanic school in a majority Hispanic town for 5 years in the Bay Area. I had an equal number of Hispanic friends as I did people who would sooner die than see me as an equal. Their parents were worse...

What compounds the issue is that hispanics are taking much the same route as asians - attach themselves to white culture - and have a much easier time of doing it due to their own white ancestry. It is literally beneficial for a lot of them to be anti-black...

Don't take this the wrong way though. The vast majority of my good friends are from that school, and in Oakland (where I now live) race relations are much better in general. Race relations up here are quite a bit better than they are in LA currently.

One of the dumbest arguments I often hear though is that Portland must be lest racist because there's less incidents... Portland is also about 80% white. They can literally go the whole day without seeing a single minority. Over here in CA that's d*** near impossible. Minorities are more or less normal here, and imo in a much more genuine sense than blacks are "normal" in most of the rest of the country. They actually have a place here... blacks were spread out and isolated all over the country by lack of jobs, segregation, white flight, etc... the only areas where blacks have a real firm and established presence are places like GA and DC and it shows. Blacks have only been in the Bay Area for about 100 years now, and almost all of them were poor and uneducated southern transplants who came to work at the docks during WWI and WWII. This is why areas close by the docks - North Richmond, West Oakland, Hunter's Point, East Palo Alto (its port closed in the 40's) - are still heavily made up of poor black populations. Blacks in these neighborhoods were treated like garbage by their cities and their police... in Oakland, MLK Jr Way (formerly Grove St.) used to be the dividing line between where blacks could and couldn't live. The Black Panthers spawned out of the highly racially charged atmosphere of the 60's.

Anyway, /rant.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I guess you didn't see my post above on hate crime stats. Indiana is near the bottom. Oops!

And the KKK, really? They're pretty much a joke even in their own ranks. Does anyone even take them seriously?

Oh no, not unless you're their target. I guess that wouldn't be you

Please. I go to Indiana every two years (where my family's from). That place deserves the reputation it gets and then some. The only reason why Gary IN's all black is because all the white people fled the city when Gary elected its first black mayor. Most of IN is sundown town country...

Old 01-27-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
What's a hoax is how folks got into their heads that Martinsville, IN, was ever the national HQ for the Klan. In fact, I don't think the Klan has ever been so overt and structured as to have a "headquarters."

Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Oh no, not unless you're their target. I guess that wouldn't be you

Please. I go to Indiana every two years (where my family's from). That place deserves the reputation it gets and then some. The only reason why Gary IN's all black is because all the white people fled the city when Gary elected its first black mayor. Most of IN is sundown town country...
Oh, please. And where did a lot of those white folks move? They moved into the adjacent communities. And Gary was already significantly black at the time. How was this any different than the "white flight" experience that took hold in many other major U.S. cities?

When were you last targeted by the Klan in Indiana?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies