Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are we better off now than in 2009? Or worse?
Better 27 45.76%
Worse 23 38.98%
About the same 9 15.25%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,776 times

Advertisements

You are not going to get an answer on this since it's polarazing "Like Obama/Hate Obama" We had that with every President. Our economy is predicated on bubbles and Obama is just inflating another one. It's not gonna last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
My argument contains actual facts to back it up.

How about yours?
Basic economic understanding. Those numbers mean nothing since they are based on the injection of printed money into the system by the government. I will be proven right soon enough and subspace can throw his Keynesian papers in the bin

Old 01-19-2011, 09:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
The real difference between now and 2009 is the amount of fear. Today, the economy is bad but it's stable. It isn't expected to get much better or much worse near-term, and we never did see mad max style Armageddon. Back in 2009 people were in a panic. The numbers were actually better than now but the economy hadnt yet reached it's bottom. Many people thought at best we were in for another Great Depression, and at worst the complete collapse of the US government followed by massive nationwide civil war and unrest. It was scary living in a time when that was a real possibility and as said before it still is but it's much farther in the future (back in 2009 it could have happened at any moment). So in a way things are worse off but they are better in that life has somewhat returned to a sense of normalcy.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:32 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
My previous posts speak for themselves.

Unemployment down from 10.6% to 9.1% in one year.

Stock market up from 6,500 to 11,825 in two years. ( an 82% gain).

Sure there are many still unemployed ... but as you can see from the unemployment numbers, we are heading in the right direction !!!

And many companies are reporting great financial numbers this year, as I showed in an earlier post.

Many of the homes being foreclosed are from bad loans written long before Obama took office.

Obama can't fix every problem overnight.

Obama inherited an ENORMOUS economic disaster from Bush, and many of Bush's problems will take years to fully recover from.

But his economic policies are moving America in the right direction!

Your facts are wrong.

Obama inherited a mess from the democratic congress led by Pelosi and Reid.

Stop blaming Bush.

We handed the bum 800 BILLION dollars to fix the so called mess and things have became worse, not better.

By the way, I did very well under Bush and so did many other people.

Sorry non working welfare types got hurt under Bush when he expected people to earn their own way.

How much longer do you want? You were handed 800 billion and it does not take 2 years to create one freakin job!!!

He is so far down 9 million jobs in 2 years. Not exactly a good record.

He was suppose to create jobs so people could save their homes, has not worked.

He has zero accomplishments in 2 full years even with an open checkbook.

Obama= Epic FAILURE.

The next President will inherit a country that is near depression like conditions thanks to Obama, Reid and Pelosi.

Willing to bet when a rep takes over the WH in 2012 you will expect them to fix Obamas mess right away.

The dream is over, the failure is a lame duck and it is time to take our country back from those like Obama and his followers who hate it.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Your facts are wrong.
Of course they are ... because you say so!

Thanks ... but I'll stick to the facts in the websites I cited earlier.

Quote:
Obama inherited a mess from the democratic congress led by Pelosi and Reid.

Stop blaming Bush.
Sorry ... but the economic mess was already created long before the Dems took over congress in Jan 2007.

It goes way back to when the problem mortgages were written, which occurred back when Republicans controlled all branches of government (2003 - 2006), and they didn't bother to regulate the mortgage industry.

Unfortunately, the Dems just happened to be in control in 2008 when these problem ARM mortgages began to reset to higher rates. These unqualified homeowners couldn't afford to pay the higher rates, so their homes were foreclosed.

Quote:

We handed the bum 800 BILLION dollars to fix the so called mess and things have became worse, not better.

By the way, I did very well under Bush and so did many other people.

Sorry non working welfare types got hurt under Bush when he expected people to earn their own way.

How much longer do you want? You were handed 800 billion and it does not take 2 years to create one freakin job!!!

He is so far down 9 million jobs in 2 years. Not exactly a good record.

He was suppose to create jobs so people could save their homes, has not worked.

He has zero accomplishments in 2 full years even with an open checkbook.

Obama= Epic FAILURE.

The next President will inherit a country that is near depression like conditions thanks to Obama, Reid and Pelosi.

Willing to bet when a rep takes over the WH in 2012 you will expect them to fix Obamas mess right away.

The dream is over, the failure is a lame duck and it is time to take our country back from those like Obama and his followers who hate it.
Obama's policies have significantly lowered unemployment during the past year.

The facts speak for themselves.

The stock market is currently way up from it's March 2009 low, and the unemployment rate has dropped to 9.1% from it's 10.6% high.

Just two years ago we were on the verge of another Great Depression. People were worried the stock market would completely collapse.

And today, we are looking at a soaring stock market, which is just 2,300 points away from it's all time high of 14,100.

Company after company are reporting great earnings as I cited in an earlier post.

I will greatly look forward to FOUR MORE YEARS of President Obama!

Last edited by RD5050; 01-19-2011 at 10:51 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Oops!

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 01-20-2011 at 12:21 AM..

Old 01-20-2011, 12:17 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Oh boy, is every possible question/hypothetical a launching point for Obama bashing?! It is like listening to Rush Limbaugh. Psoriasis? Hemhorrhoids? Laid off? Girl friend cheated on you? Raining today? Late on the Hummer payment? ED? Hangover? Liberal ecofeminazis are to blame!!!!!!!!! I have to say I am impressed at the skill with which one hammer suits every conceivable nail.....! It is exceeded only by the amazing facility with which people who have had the best lives in human history (white American boomers) are perpetual victims of all sorts of atrocities!!!! OBAMACARE!!!!! ENVIROFEMICOMMIES!!! MILITANT LESBIANS out to destroy your marriage!!! HOMELESS pinko winos wiping with OLD GLORY!!!! GUN REGISTRATION!!!!! DEATH TAXES!!! It's BLOOD LIBEL!!!

Ahem, sorry, I was having way too much fun, to the question...

Personally, I would say the 2009 vs. 2011 comparison is a wash. I am now underwater on a tiny piddly house that I bought and have been paying steadily on since 2003. That stinks. However, the 401k is looking up, and the economy does not look like it will spontaneously combust. I still have a job (with a pay freeze), and I soldier onward, working, saving, and trying not to be stupid (no small feat). I do feel things will improve once we get through all the foreclosures, and employment rises a bit. But I do not know how long that will take. Two more years?

Obviously, if things stay in the hole until late 2012, Mr. O is toast. But I think that judging Obama at this point is silly. You do not pop straight up out of the biggest global recession in 70 years. I think 2011 will be better than 2010, but that is not saying much.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
YOu need to check your facts. Unemployment was not 10.6% in January 2009.

And while you are checking facts, look at what Obama said his stimulus would do for unemployment.

He's a joke.

What's a joke, is how they now count unemployed.
In the 1930's unemployment was not calculated by who was collecting unemployment.

In January of 2009 it was actually much higher than 10.6%, as it is much higher than what is reported today.

The self employed and the those past their benefits, are not counted and there are more than double those than are counted.

With the global market, our economy could go to crap, as it is and the stock market could sore to new highs.

Not everyone has blinders on.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 AM

764 posts, read 597,246 times
The ball was rolling before the Democrats got into Congress (some "control" they had in 2007 BTW, considering they had 49 seats in the Senate to the Republicans...49), and LONG before Obama got into office. It's as if a snowball started rolling. It collects and collects and when someone stands in front of it, and they don't stop it, everyone blames that person for getting it rolling in the first place. Its ridiculous...

Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Tomorrow is January 20th, the 2 year anniversary of President Obama being inaugurated.
The question is, are we as a nation better or worse off than we were when he took office?

Please state some examples of what you think....(Keep it civil)!!!
Better off!

UAW worker here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies