Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:48 AM

499 posts, read 405,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
They knew what the house rules were when they attempted to rent a room. They were obviously trying to start a controversy. It's a private business; they can refuse service to whomever they like.
That's the thing though, the business is a commercial enterprise so they can't refuse on those grounds by law.

Quote:
Mr and Mrs Bull, the devout Christian couple who run the hotel, are not being forced to take a gay couple into their home, as some have suggested. They are running a business, which is not allowed – by law – to discriminate against people on the grounds of race, religion or sexuality: “The defendants’ right to have their private and family life and their home respected is inevitably circumscribed by their decision to use their home in part as an hotel,” as Judge Rutherford told the court. They are perfectly entitled to deny gay couples entry to the private section of the building where they themselves live.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture...aw-is-the-law/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 05:04 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
They knew what the house rules were when they attempted to rent a room. They were obviously trying to start a controversy. It's a private business; they can refuse service to whomever they like.

You bet they were trying to create a controversy. I am not Gay and I would be more than tempted to pretend I was , with a Journalist and cameras in tow to expose people who think the law does not apply to them.

Same with businesses who would discriminate against anyone who was not a danger to anyone but they simply had a "moral" issue against. Be they black , Russian , orange with purple spots , Muslim, Atheists whatever.

Creating controversy is why we have slowly but surely advanced in terms of human and civil rights in the last few decades. We have to demand those rights because nobody is going to hand them to us on a plate, whether we are coloured, from a different religion, female or workers.

Controversies are the only tried and tested method of social advancement. Apathy because we are not in the groups targeted , or meek acceptance of social injustice simply means no progress at all.

You go into business , you obey the law. We have anti-discrimination laws in this country ( UK) for a reason. Because bigots (regardless of their prejudices - I would fight just as strongly for people refusing entrance to Christians even though I am a staunch Atheist) think it is OK to deny entry to some people because they simply do not agree or like a certain type of people.

I am not Black, Muslim, Gay, Jewish, Chinese etc... but I would certainly not tolerate any kind of discrimination from any business I was patronising or thinking about patronising. You bet I would make a controversy about it. Loud and clear. Not only that but I would be making sure nobody I knew would ever patronise those businesses again , lobbying my Politicians , campaigning against it etc...

Many people would still be treating Black people and Gay people like dogs if we did not have those laws. They want to be bigots at home, it is their choice, when it comes to having a business, regulated by UK law however their private views should remain private. They can be as disparaging against Gay people as they like in private.

Some people seem to look back fondly on the good old days of the freedom to exclude those who we do not "appprove " of. Had people not fought against racism, sexism and bigotry we would still live in a world where slavery, wife raping and Gay murdering would be perfectly acceptable.

If people have to be forced against their will and behave like true Christians and decent human beings in a public context , then so be it.

We cannot eradicate bigotry but we can at least make business owners think twice about breaking the law.

I wonder how those so called fine "Christian" folks would appreciate all Christian businesses being persecuted simply because the law makers did not like the sound of their religion.

Laws are not pick and mix. If you don't want to obey the Law of the land maybe move somewhere or seek to change it.

If we allow businesses to only do what they want, then for a start most people would pay taxes, follow any health and safety regulations ( such as fire regulations for example ) as it would cost them , most people would behave like a bunch of lawless cowboys .

Then again I also believe businesses should be forced by law to treat their employees decently so I guess I am a freak.

Labour laws for example are there because let's face it many employers could not care less whether their employees have a decent living wage, working conditions etc...

When greed is your main motive , humanity, and morality seem to fly out of the window pretty quickly. Hence the need for legislation.

Those who want to return to the good old days of no regulations, should have a good look in the mirror .

I would suggest that the hospitality business is perhaps not the ideal career for people like those B&B owners.

You break the law , you pay the price. Anyone who breaks the speed limit or smoking in a non smoking area should be expecting a fine for it. We might not like it or "approve" of it but it should hardly come as a surprise.

Civil rights legislation came out of a need for them. Humans have the capacity to behave like the worst of the worst if we are not stopped . Without Civil and Human rights legislation slave owners would still be considered acceptable members of society and beating up Gay couples a National Sport.

So sorry if my heart does not bleed for the poor little Christian couples who could not bear to have human beings who fell short of their "moral standards" under their roof.

"No Dogs, no Blacks , no Irishmen" , is that really what we want to return to ? The mind freaking boggles.

You don't want Gay people in your private home ( ie : all private living areas) then fine, you are still entitled to be a bigot. The Law however says that PUBLIC areas of the business such as Rooms and Public living areas, bathrooms fall under the discrimination legislation framework.

Basically some people are saying that if you own a business you can disregard laws and maybe that we should go back to a world of "black" and white" toilets and drinking fountains ?

Condoning prejudices even second hand is being prejudiced. I could not care a Baboo's hairy behind what the "sensitive" clientele might have thought either. So , because a bunch of people are racist, homophobes, sexist pigs etc... we should all just lie down and let them tickle our stomach and watch evil being done to others ?

If the whole world was anti-semite or racist it would still not make it right and acceptable. Homophobic is just another form of discrimination and prejudice.

Should I be pampered as a B&B guest and ask the owners to exclude anyone who wears lime green because I really find it repulsive, or kick out people who are really skinny because they might make me feel uncomfortable about being larger than they are ?

Should I have the right to demand the exclusion of Creationists because I find their beliefs stupid and ill thought out, people with nasal voises because it grates, Republicans simply because, etc... where exactly do we stop. Many things in life make me uncomfortable, many things I do not approve of. I do not expect to have my own little foibles and prejudices catered to and my every whim obeyed.

Life is full of disappointments and compromises. I have to live side by side , courteously with people I often "disapprove" of. Darn, imagine that, having to bite your tongue and simply accepting that not everyone else believes as I do.

I suspect most shops would exclude some form of the "other" if we had no legislation.

If I had a B&B I would not refuse entry to anyone be they Sarah Palin followers, Darwin bashers or people who do not understand the comic Genius of PG Wodehouse. I would accept that I have my own prejudices and it should remain a private issue. I would fully expect people to create a " controversy" if I disallowed people who think and live differently than I do.

If they do not cause any public disturbances, are not violent, dangerous, or agressive then I simply have to bite my tongue and get on with life.

Heaven forbid I am expected to follow the Law and behave like a decent human being ...

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 01-20-2011 at 05:26 AM..

Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
"Mr Preddy booked a room at the B&B in 2008 and Mrs Bull assumed he was bringing his wife with him. When he arrived with his civil partner Mr Hall, the pair were refused a double room by the manager Bernie Quinn, who instead offered them seperate single rooms."

"Outside court Mrs Bull said the result was a disappointment. 'Our double-bed policy was based on our sincere beliefs about marriage, not hostility to anybody,' she said."

Gay Couple Win B&B Discrimination Case Against Christian Owners, Damages Of £1,800 Each | UK News | Sky News

Way to go!!! Too bad this type of discrimination against gays and lesbians - the denial of service at a hotel, restaurant, dry cleaner, etc. based on sexuality or perceived sexuality - is legal throughout most of the United States. When will the US stop treating gays and lesbians as second class citizens?
On a personal basis I believe the hotel owner should have the right to accomodate people as he wishes. However, laws have been instituted because some majority groups have been too abusive to minority groups so people brought in Big Brother to interfere. I wish it was not this way but it is.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I live in the USA, if a gay couple was turned away from a B&B here in the USA would the same thing happen? law suits and such or is the B&B protected?
It depends where in the US. All states prevent this type of discrimination (protection from denial of service in a business that serves the public) on the basis of one's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, and disability. 20 states have added sexual orientation as well - meaning 30* have not.

Quote:
Has there been gay's turned away from B&B's here? Hotels here?
Oh yes. I have personal experience. It happened to me and my boyfriend at a roadside motel in Whitehall MT a few years ago. I talked to andrea3821 about it on this forum previously. Here are those posts if you care to know the details: //www.city-data.com/forum/17044304-post362.html, //www.city-data.com/forum/17045838-post366.html, //www.city-data.com/forum/17046315-post368.html. That personal experience is part of the reason I get so heated about this issue.

Go talk to some gay men (especially flaming ones who can't hide it) who've spent a good amount of time in rural American. Discrimination of this type against gays isn't widespread, but it certainly happens. I've known several gay men who have been denied service at restaurants, and a few who were served but were harassed and when the food came it was burned to the point of inedibility.

If you really want to hear stories of anti-gay discrimination, go talk to an elderly gay man who was out (or at least inhabited the gay subculture to some degree) in the 50s, 60s, or 70s. I have a 75 year old gay friend who spent some time in jail when he was arrested for sodomy simply for being in a gay bar when the police raided it - (back then the police regularly raided gay bars and arrested and beat the crap out of the gays). Thank God the times are changing and states are staring to protect their gay citizens from stuff like this (although there have been some news stories in the last year out of Texas and Georgia where the cops raided several gay bars and beat the living crap out of some patrons and conducted mass arrests).

Here's a story from last year where a man was fired from a hotel in Tennessee simply because he was gay (his boss fully acknowledges that was the only reason he was fired). And in Tennessee it's perfectly legal.

Employee Says He Was Fired For Being Gay - Nashville News Story - WSMV Nashville

Quote:
Are we allowed to turn someone away because they are gay?
Again, it depends on where in the US you live. 30 States offer no protection to homosexuals from this type of discrimination. In those states it's perfectly legal to have a "no homos" policy at your hotel, restaurant, grocery store, dry cleaner, taxi cab, hospital, dental practice, furniture store etc. In most of those states it's also legal to fire an employee for no reason other than you find out he's gay, or refuse to rent an apartment to someone simply because he is gay.

Again I'll point out and ask. In those 30 states, it's perfectly legal for a Christian hotel owner to have a "no gay" policy, but it is absolutely illegal for a gay hotel owner to have a "no Christian" policy. Is that an okay double standard? Is that fair and right? Is that not a "special right" for Christians?

*Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Um, no... it just means they were living in denial, and finally decided to accept their true orientation. Sexuality isn't a "fluid" thing, although it can be rather complicated - read up on the Kinsey scale of sexuality if you're interested.
Exactly! I have known two people that tried that and it didn't work.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:21 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Which bit of "they broke English law" are you having difficulty with?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Discrimination in commercial activites such as operating a bed and breakfast may be legal in many states but it is NOT legal under Federal law. Federal law trumps state law.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:37 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
You bet they were trying to create a controversy. I am not Gay and I would be more than tempted to pretend I was , with a Journalist and cameras in tow to expose people who think the law does not apply to them.
If this B&B were run by Muslims would you feel the same way?

It's funny how liberals think it's perfectly okay to allow muslims to discriminate against others due to their religious cult, out of respect for Islamic law, but when others invoke their religious laws against homosexuality it's flat-out bigotry.

I hope the gays enjoy visiting Londonistan in the future. Hopefully they make it out alive.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:40 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Discrimination in commercial activites such as operating a bed and breakfast may be legal in many states but it is NOT legal under Federal law. Federal law trumps state law.
True - however, protection from this type of discrimination based on sexual orientation is absent from federal law. Therefore, such discrimination against homosexuals (as well as heterosexuals or bisexuals) is allowable in the 30 states that have not added sexual orientation to their civil rights law.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:42 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
If this B&B were run by Muslims would you feel the same way?

It's funny how liberals think it's perfectly okay to allow muslims to discriminate against others due to their religious cult, out of respect for Islamic law, but when others invoke their religious laws against homosexuality it's flat-out bigotry.

I hope the gays enjoy visiting Londonistan in the future. Hopefully they make it out alive.

Help me out here, what do "muslims" or "liberals" have to do with a clear cut case of the owners of this hotel breaking the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies