Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Those were the EXACT first thoughts I had when I read this thread title.

It sounds like a TOTAL conflict of interest to me. "Gee, Mr. Jones, we're going to have to ADMIT you and do a lot of tests before we can come up with a good diagnosis and treatment plan" (chaching chaching chaching)

20yrsinBranson
When I was admitted to one of those cardiac only hospitals the day of my heart attack they lined up all kinds of tests to determine if I needed open chest surgery. They did a heart cath procedure and found that I had three arteries to my heart with 80 - 85 percent clogging and three had up to 95%. Boy am I glad I got in a place like that to start out since they knew just what to do. Went in on Sunday night and had the by-pass surgery on Wednesday morning. I didn't know how near death I was till after it was all over and the surgeon told my son about how I should have been dead on arrival.

Yep, those quacks did a bang up job on me and today was the 6th anniversary of the operation. They were saving lives every day of the week and the surgeons, from all over the city, were just rolling in dough. I guess I should have died and I am sure I would have after Obamacare takes over unless somebody stops it. Hand me some poop about this. Medicare and one hell of a hospital kept me alive and I sure appreciate it.

Those of us who are still around because of all that conflict of interest don't agree with you. Just think they wasted the best part of two days without one test after they found out why I had to have the surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 11:30 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Future doctor-owned hospitals will basically be banned by obamacare. Is this what the government should be doing? Dictating?

Obamacare Ends Construction of Doctor-Owned Hospitals | The Weekly Standard

One more of those nasty little details that keep popping up with obamacare.

What a great idea! Less hospitals when 30 million more will come on the rolls! Brilliant!

Oh, but here might be the reason - a capitulation to the AHA (American Hospital Assoc), which supported obamacare, doesn't seem to like doctor-owned hospitals.

The damage has already begun - NYPOST.com

Limit competition, drive up costs, limited access, all brought to you by obamacare.

Physician-Owned Hospitals Fire Back at Obamacare Restrictions - by Kenneth Artz - Health Care News

And the doctors in those hospitals and elsewhere;

News Headlines (http://www.cnbc.com/id/41149280 - broken link)
As you can see by my post in this thread the HealthCare Reform bill didn't just stop the building of new doctor owned hospitals. My favorite one like that just shifted their ownership to a large hospital in their town because of this new law and how they might have been treated by the Medicare licensing people. You have to watch those people, and I know that one for a fact since I have been on Medicare for 13 years. God I am old.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:21 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

And you think this is a bad idea.
What I think is a bad idea is for the federal government to even have such a rule, to be dictating to private entities in such a way.

Still believe obamacare is not a takeover of our HC system? They want and will have with this law complete control of every aspect of our HC, through regulation and "rules" that WILL negatively impact everyone.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:28 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
That's terrible

Old 01-20-2011, 06:34 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
We've been through this before so I won't belabor the point other than to post one of he earlier articles on this:

How Health-Care Reform Could Hurt Doctor-Owned Hospitals - TIME

You know as one of those big let the market be your god advocates, there is noting in the healthcare bill the prevents these folks from building or operating their facility, they just aren't approved for medicare paying for it. Surely if they are a much needed service they can survive on the private markets. heh?

Oh, yeah from the link that the story was based on, I found this little item.
Several high-profile medical groups are laying low on reform, maintaining very similar positions as they did during the battle to pass the law. Both the AMA and the American Osteopathic Association continue to support the health law and resist efforts to repeal it, in separate remarks, though they say they’d like to make changes to the legislation. “The Affordable Care Act made fundamental and important changes in our health care system that will improve the health of our patients individually and our nation as a whole,” the Osteopathic Association said in a statement. “However, there are still many improvements that can be made. Health care reform is, and should remain, an ongoing effort.”
AOA Statement on the Affordable Care Act (http://bit.ly/haPypm - broken link)

POLITICO Pulse - POLITICO.com

The AOA is the Osteopathic equivilent of the AMA. This is an organization for DOs, which are a fraction of the medical providers in the US- most are MDs. Further, most physicians are not even members of the AMA, as it is considered a left wing organization for mostly primary care docs, and does not reflect the views of most physicians.

I just talked this morning with the CEO of our large group. Due to Obamacare and the threat to private physician reimbursement, banks are demanding higher interest rates in loans to our organization for capital expenditures. The clinic is asking physicians within the group to loan the clinic money for capital purchases now. That is not terrible, but it shows the times are changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies