Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 06:00 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The only reason why that one poll was 48-42 GOP to begin with because it was a likely voter poll just prior to an election in which the GOP was going to have a large turnout advantage. Notice how no other poll is even remotely close to the GOP + 6 advantage.
Nonsense;

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Generic Congressional Vote

A poll sampling adults, drastically under sampling republicans, has a predetermined result.

Here's another poll;

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145496/Fa...hcare-Law.aspx

and another;

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...alth-care-law/

and another;

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...alth-care-law/

No amount of biased, bogus polls coming from the MSM in an attempt to prop up obama and his ruinous piece of signature legislation will deny the truth - repeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 06:48 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Really?
So however did those 161 amendments get in there? Osmosis?

"Almost no one is noting the extraordinary influence Republicans had on the healthcare reform bill crafted by the Senate, as it made its way through the committee process last year. The bill approved by Sen. Christopher Dodd's Health, Education, Labor and Pensions committee, for instance, included 161 amendments authored by Republicans. "

Fact-checking the GOP on healthcare reform - Healthcare Reform | Obama Health Care Plan - Salon.com

"But one good way is to look at the GOP's "Solutions for America" homepage, which lays out its health-care plan in some detail. It has four planks. All of them -- yes, you read that right -- are in the Senate health-care bill."

Ezra Klein - The six Republican ideas already in the health-care reform bill

Obama to Consider 4 Republican Ideas on Health Care - NYTimes.com

"The combination of an individual mandate and a health-insurance exchange was something Republicans championed until Democrats used it as the centerpiece of their legislation; in fact, it's what then-Governor Mitt Romney signed into law for Massachusetts, where it's successfully brought down uninsurance rates."

Jobs, Spending, and the Healthcare Law : The Pump Handle

Hmmm,I think Mr. Cohen might be onto something.
Now what is THAT supposed to mean?

Old 01-21-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think you nailed this. People haven't forgot the screaming and yelling about death panels--how the sky was going to fall in if we passed HCR on a million different levels. It hasn't happened, and it's not going to happen. When you make stuff up, you can only do it so many times before people catch on, and then they're mad. Like I said, this can backfire on the R's big time.

Case in point--I voted R until the end of the Bush years. You know what the last straw was for me? When I found out the R's had been making up terror threats to manipulate voters--the whole rating scale was an outright lie, and they were playing on our emotions. It hasn't been talked about much, but I think that had a bigger impact on lots of cross over votes for Obama than anyone realizes. People don't trust you again when you lie to them.
Seriously? You libs can fool yourselves into thinking that the country really wants this disgusting healthcare crap, but the election results tell otherwise.

And since we're talking about outright lies, how about those CBO numbers?

As for death panels, it hasn't happened because the plan hasn't been implemented yet.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
This is what some of you don't seem to get. The Dem's aren't afraid of taking their vote on health care home to their constituents--there are very few freshmen Dem's, they've already voted on it once, and they're PROUD of that vote. If I can be vulgar, failing to take up the bill in the Senate is more like flipping their middle finger in the air to the Republican House leadership, and telling them to get lost. Whether you want to admit it or not, the Dem's still control the Senate and the Presidency--the R's don't get to run the show. Whether you want to admit it or not, many voters in democratic states LIKE healthcare reform.

That said, there's absolutely going to be a fight, because the R's ARE going to try to leave HCR out of appropriations, but this whole fight over trying to repeal the bill is just a time waster and grand standing for their base. So much BS...nothing more.

The appropriations fight will come down to a PR fight with the public--the R's are going to have to explain to the entire country--not just their hardcore base--why they're taking away existing healthcare programs from the American people. It may go their way, and then again, it may not. The provisions are becoming VERY popular as people are starting to understand that most of the negative hype about this program was completely made up. When Gingrich tried to pull the same trick during the Clinton years--tried to cut programs like Medicare and Medicaid--it forced a government shutdown and he wound up taking the blame with the public. The R's lost the presidential election in 96 over that, and continued to lose House and Senate seats throughout the 90's. This is a very risky move for the R's, especially since the Dems are openly saying they'll work with the R's on making bipartisan changes, but the R's don't seem interested. We'll see how it goes.
I hope all you lefties remember these games in 2012, when the Republicans flip you the bird. No complaining when it happens.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:55 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Now what is THAT supposed to mean?
It means he thinks republicans who do not support health care are like Nazis who killed 6 million Jews.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:22 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
I hope all you lefties remember these games in 2012, when the Republicans flip you the bird. No complaining when it happens.
I have news for you--I'm not a leftie, and I'm just trying to spell out the political landscape vs. trying to spin it. I'm a moderate, a former R, and pretty much an independent--I support issues on both sides, depending on the issue. I support health care reform, but I think there needs to be some changes. That doesn't mean I have to drink the Kool-Aide on either side, which is what most people here seem to do.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Seriously? You libs can fool yourselves into thinking that the country really wants this disgusting healthcare crap, but the election results tell otherwise.
You're as mistaken about the 2010 elections as the President is.

The election wasn't about health care: It was about Obama and that's the way the GOP styled it.

If you think not, honestly consider this: Would you still object to the health care reform act had it been passed by a Republican Congress and signed by George Bush?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:55 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

The election wasn't about health care: It was about Obama and that's the way the GOP styled it.

If you think not, honestly consider this: Would you still object to the health care reform act had it been passed by a Republican Congress and signed by George Bush?
what was it about Obama that caused the losses the dems took

Old 01-21-2011, 07:57 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

No, I beg to differ (at least in this district). It wasn't just about Obama, (though people around here don't like him either). We were angry at our Rep. because she voted for Obamacare. A huge gathering of us demonstrated outside her local office, and her switchboard was flooded with calls. We did not want it. She did not listen to us. Marching in our local Halloween parade and handing out candy didn't change people's dissatisfaction with her. And in November, she was voted out in ALL counties of the district.

And had it been passed by a Republican Congress and signed by George Bush, I believe it would at least have been READ IN ADVANCE.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:27 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
And had it been passed by a Republican Congress and signed by George Bush, I believe it would at least have been READ IN ADVANCE.

Really? Read by whom? Members of Congress or yourself and other voters?

May I remind you that the Patriot Act, passed by a GOP Congress and signed by a GOP President, was just as long and was passed using the same parliamentary procedures.

Did YOU read IT? Did your Congressperson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies