Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 10:41 AM

352 posts, read 187,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LMAO....get some courage, then get back to me. I mean, if you don't want to come out and say what you REALLY want to say, then you can send me a PM. But i'm not going to play the "i'm going to insult so-and-so group, but i'll do it in a cowardly way" game!
Sorry, no can do. PC rules, you know. My hands are tied. Just wouldn't be prudent.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flordelis View Post
Sorry, no can do. PC rules, you know. My hands are tied. Just wouldn't be prudent.
In my experience, hands are tied in these cases with yellow strings. And of course, there is no doubt that this applies to these folks in real life too....not just online.

But that's ok. Just wanted you to know that i can spot it from a mile away.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:01 PM

352 posts, read 187,228 times
Quote:
In my experience, hands are tied in these cases with yellow strings. And of course, there is no doubt that this applies to these folks in real life too....not just online.

But that's ok. Just wanted you to know that i can spot it from a mile away.
Projecting once again. But it fun to watch you blather on in your self-aggrandizing, strutting peacock, Mr. Tough-Guy way.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:02 PM

320 posts, read 290,417 times
Discipline.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:41 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
It's the work ethic and expectations.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:51 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
Discipline.

I agree..

Old 01-21-2011, 08:52 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That would depend on how superiority is defined.
To clarify myself, certain aspects of one's culture can be superior and/or make a difference and give one a superior edge in certain endeavours.

Also Asians generally have long cultural backgrounds to draw from. Africans have a long culture also to draw from.

African Americans and to a certain extent Native Americans have been deculturalized of their original culture and have embraced/absorbed/taught a newer often hybrid/European/American more modern culture.

Asians,Arabs, Africans,Europeans that are a few generations removed from their homelands retain more of the older Cultural ties. With the exception of nomadic and/or cultures that don't really have a written history.

Regardless of Race if you are born into poverty(often times) single parent households that value mass consumerism over substance you will be at a disadvantage.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:19 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
That's a GREAT question. And i don't really have the answer.

I look at it this way....depends on how one looks at it. Compare the Masai with the Germans (just tossing out an ethnic group). The Masai are technologically inferior in every aspect. But does that make their CULTURE "inferior?" I'd say no, because they are seemingly happy in the state in which they live. Besides, they've never killed tens of millions of people either.

But looking at it subjectively, i'd personally rather live among the Germans because i'm accustomed to a certain standard of living. That doesn't make the German culture superior, but it's damn sure more comfortable....speaking strictly for myself.

Here in the United States, i'd say that since we all have the same culture to some degree, my own conclusion would be that Asian work ethic and emphasis on education is superior to the other ethnic groups on average!! Does that mean that their actual culture is superior? Perhaps. I can see how someone could look at it that way. But to me, emphasis on education is just a small part of culture. There are plenty of other aspects to culture...at least in my opinion.

But i must say, you asked a pretty good question.
It's interesting that you brought up the Masai. Take for example the cultural differences between the Masai and African Americans.

Core values,hopes and dreams for their children are probably similar but culturally they can be worlds apart. Heck just look at the health aspect in regards to how it might affect potential. Look at the morbid obesity rates between the Masai and Americans in general.

Another example that comes to mind about inner City youth is that some value getting high,gang banging and tagging, is this a Race issue?

Of course not. Even in areas where these activities are prevalent and even in some families where individuals engage in this behaviour there are others in the exact same situation that strive to better themselves.. Even within Cultures there are sub cultures and often times it is within these sub cultures is where you find counter productive and negative behaviours.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:28 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
This trend will die away slowly.

Honestly, the current generation is so disciplined becoz either their parents are immigrants or their grandparents were and they carry that legacy.

From the third or fourth generation Asians, they will be as backward as the white Americans as the OP puts it.

Problem is American culture, which didn't corrupt that immigrant sense of achievement and discipline

Old 01-21-2011, 09:38 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
I love this country. Yet I must agree that we have some baggage. Although I think Americans work hard overall, there are some weaknesses of character that leave us open to drugs, teen pregnancy, failed marriages, greed and falling for the quick buck, a vulnerability to cheap credit, obesity, intellectual sloth and vulnerability to ideological propaganda, intense selfishness by the successful, etc. We have plenty of genius, but tons of baggage too. If we could tap into some of that Asian self sacrifice and focus, we could regain our footing as a world leader. Nobody comes close for creativity.

All these discussions may prove more relevant than we expect soon. We will soon be slugging it out with a completely Asian superpower soon, and China has both the brainpower and the human capital to dominate the world. I still think America presenst a superior model for human creativity and human rights, but only if our better elements expand and the trashy stuff contracts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies